Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone explain to me why this is set up the way it is? Having the weaker military makes sense, but why, in the case of a tie, arbitrarily let the person who went last go again? This in effect, skips the turn of the other player for no good(as far as I can tell) reason.

I'm highly considering house ruling this so that, in the case of a tie, the turn order continues as normal. Or possibly even say the person with fewest victory points goes first. However, I wanted to see if there's any reason not to first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, The player in question actually gets to choose who will go first.

I think the tie break is probably this way because the person to finish last in the previous age probably started last, so this gives them the opportunity to bed first to choose, if they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Nick.

Before creating house rules, it is usually best to actually get a grip on what the rules as written say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Thanks, Nick.

Before creating house rules, it is usually best to actually get a grip on what the rules as written say.

Thanks for the attitude, but my rulebook actually says otherwise. Apparently there was a bad translation as discussed in this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1564734/start-age-ii-and-ii...

Anyway, playing it that way makes the advantage even worse. Thus my question still stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Duisburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but that player didn't have a choice which card to pick at the end of the last age since there was only one left. so he gets his choice in the new age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Eppler
Germany
Braunschweig
flag msg tools
slydog75 wrote:
However, I wanted to see if there's any reason not to first.

If you want your opponent to reveal stronger cards for you to take than the ones that are actually on top. Or in case you don't want to reveal them for your opp. Happens from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Happens so rarely it isn't worth worrying about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:
but that player didn't have a choice which card to pick at the end of the last age since there was only one left. so he gets his choice in the new age.

Ahh, yes this makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
pinoeppel wrote:

Ahh, yes this makes sense.

Of course that player might have taken the last two or even 3 cards I that age if they'd managed to build 1 or more wonders that give you another turn immediately. Rare edge case though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:

Yes. This is exactly the reason why this player decides who goes first on next âge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ovi Matteo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
Of course that player might have taken the last two or even 3 cards I that age if they'd managed to build 1 or more wonders that give you another turn immediately. Rare edge case though.

Wait a minute, can you play 3 turns in a row? The circular icon states that you immediately play a second turn. If you happen to build a new wonder on the second turn which has the same icon, I believe you are no longer entitled to another turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ovidutz wrote:
Wait a minute, can you play 3 turns in a row? The circular icon states that you immediately play a second turn. If you happen to build a new wonder on the second turn which has the same icon, I believe you are no longer entitled to another turn.

You believe incorrectly.
E.g. see Double extra turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Moutel
msg tools
mbmbmb
Let's assume no player has built a wonder that grants a replay in the previous age. Then, with 20 cards in play, each one has played (or discarded) 10, and the last player in the age has played second at the start of that age. So he can be the first player in the next age. It's just like when drafting wonders: the first player to start the second draft is not the same as in the first draft.

A solution to this is strategy: either play military cards (but your opponent might still start the next round) or build wonders that allow to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't even notice that the last player to play was to decide who went first.

Doesn't really matter as I intentionnally let my opponent lead in military most of the time especially for that purpose, but still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I didn't even notice that the last player to play was to decide who went first.

Doesn't really matter as I intentionnally let my opponent lead in military most of the time especially for that purpose, but still...

It's a subtle rule, I'll give you that. It can be useful though, if the available cards to draft are bad for either you or for your opponent (e.g. they don't give much beneficially, or you/your opponent can't afford them). Forcing your opponent to take one may reveal some higher-level cards which are better for you. It's a gamble, but occasionally it'll pay off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.