Robbie Lyons
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, I had a question about the resin boss miniatures from GenCon this year. I asked FFP's customer support several days ago, but have been roundly ignored.

The question is simple; will the three miniatures I mentioned in the title be sold on FFP's online store or are they GenCon 2016 exclusive, never again to be sold elsewhere through official channels?

I asked because I live over 3500 miles away from GenCon and since I couldn't be there, I wanted to know if I could afford to wait for the inevitable GenCon leftover sale when Trederra comes out, or if I should have snatched them off eBay quick-like for extortionate prices.

Sadly it seems to be a moot point, as the Magus has disappeared from eBay, and the only Shaman doesn't ship to Ireland. So, given the fart-in-a-wind-tunnel effect of my question to FFP, I have to ask you guys. Any idea just how limited these minis are? Are they explicitly labeled GenCon exclusive on the packaging or was that just a crafty ploy by scalpers?

Cheers to anybody who can offer help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would very much like to know the answer to this question as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
Give the frogs some time. Everything they've offered at all the previous Gencons have been available on their website eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Lyons
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sure, sure. My situation is just like this...

I set aside some money last Monday, the day after GenCon, to be ready for whenever the sale went up. Now, Trederra, the Sand Kraken, the Undead Outlaws, all the big fancy previews, I'm sure that they'll come to the store (if any remain unsold).

But there's an eight hour time difference between me and FFP, and I've missed out on sales before because I go to bed/am at work when the sale begins.

And those three minis, while not absolutely essential, are cool for a Brimstone fan like me. I was even willing to pay ridiculous eBay mark-ups, but didn't want to eat into my GenCon money prematurely.

All the eBay listings for those three were threatening "GenCon Exclusive!" and I didn't know to trust them, so I asked the simple question, hoping for an answer that never came, and now I fear it's too late.

And that just kind of sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Allen
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they will be on FFP store soon, and again in the future at various holidays, FFP has never had exclusives except the male outlaw model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that everything from gencon was just pre-release, not exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said they will be on the webstore soon. All the items produced for the game will eventually be available retail or through the webstore, except for the Outlaw class which was specially marked as a kickstarter exclusive.

As for the ebay sellers saying Gencon exclusive in their listings, its either because they are ignorant or most likely because they just want you to pay their over the top prices! (they will retail for a LOT less).

So its just a matter of being patient (eager to get them myself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Lyons
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Green Angel wrote:
As for the ebay sellers saying Gencon exclusive in their listings, its either because they are ignorant or most likely because they just want you to pay their over the top prices! (they will retail for a LOT less).

Aye, I agree with this completely. But when they're the only source you have, it's easy to get paranoid, you know?

Patience is one thing when you know what you're waiting for, but it can be frustrating to have no definite answer from the frog's mouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at GenCon, and unable to buy anything. The Frog Folk confirmed that everything they had there would eventually be available either at retail or on the store. The GenCon previews are in non-retail packaging, so they won't just roll over to retail that way--so there will probably be a much bigger delay for that stuff than for Trederra or other "pretty much ready" items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFP is a small company, and are without a dedicated customer support person. Therefore, communication during busy times (like GenCon) will be slow and it is also possible that some emails might be missed due to their schedule and the quantity of emails they receive. It isn't anything personally against you. I'd simply try sending them another message.

That said, as others have stated, everything will eventually be available from retail or their online store. For example, the first Gencon that SOBS came out, FFP had resin corpse piles available at Gencon. People were all freaked out that the resin corpse piles were something exclusive to that GenCon. After a little while though, the resin corpse piles became available from their online store and at other events too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no proof and have not heard otherwise, but as far as I know there is only one exclusive to Shadows Over Brimstone and that's from the kickstarter.
I don't think the Frogs have any interest in raising any more ire regarding this game, so they probably won't do GenCon Exclusives.

And yes FFP is a small company so they probably get stretched during busy times and responses to questions are longer than they would like, let alone their customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
FFP's resin stuff seems to come and go from the store. Probably because they made a bunch of them, sell out, make a bunch more. Unlike the hard plastic, they can do them on demand.

So I'd be real surprised if they don't show up. And if they do and sell out, they will come back again.

I was fortunate a friend bought me all 3 and shipped them to me. They are pretty cool and much more "grand" then using the tokens. They are also simpler to assemble then the Wave 1.5 heroes, though I'm going to have to do some cleanup on some of the seams.

I've heard these have already been soaked in vinegar. Though I'm going to do it again just to be safe. Once I get them built I'll post some pics of them next to the normal minis.

These really are nifty; my only complaint is they are posed kind of flat. I'm guessing they are trying to keep them simple to assemble so had to cut down on the dynamic angles. Take particular care with the shaman, he's got some delicate parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Lyons
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just wanted to say thanks to everybody for your replies. You've all put my mind at ease to a degree.

Any frustration directed towards Flying Frog is purely secondary. I love their games, their passion, their contact with the fans. It's just that I've had mixed success with their CC, sometimes wonderful and detailed answers in a day, sometimes no answers at all. And while I understand that they're a small company, they're still a professional company. 96 hours for a yes/no question? Nobody needs to defend them.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for that sweet, sweet sale. I can wait as long as I need to, as long as I know I'm waiting for something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Anzaldo
Mexico
Mexico
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to point that you might need to be on the hunt for any of those resin models for a couple of sales. Resin models do get lots of attention on their sale. You might need to try it a couple of time before succeeding. I had to wait to the second sale to get the resin depth tracker.

Preview packages tend to dry up eventually from their store, as they will be cheaper than waiting for the real thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Canjul wrote:
I just wanted to say thanks to everybody for your replies. You've all put my mind at ease to a degree.

Any frustration directed towards Flying Frog is purely secondary. I love their games, their passion, their contact with the fans. It's just that I've had mixed success with their CC, sometimes wonderful and detailed answers in a day, sometimes no answers at all. And while I understand that they're a small company, they're still a professional company. 96 hours for a yes/no question? Nobody needs to defend them.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for that sweet, sweet sale. I can wait as long as I need to, as long as I know I'm waiting for something. :)

I just wanted to make sure that you knew. We all know that their customer communication is generally awful ... not because they don't care or are rude, because they are not; They simply don't communicate very much. I have spoken to them several times at various events, and have suggested they create a community manager/customer relations position. It hasn't happened yet, but I hope one day it will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Lyons
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mictlan wrote:
I just wanted to point that you might need to be on the hunt for any of those resin models for a couple of sales. Resin models do get lots of attention on their sale.

Yeah, I've missed a few nice fancy resin things on sale. I think the timezone difference makes it even trickier for folks across the pond. Thanks for the heads up.

dvang wrote:
I just wanted to make sure that you knew. We all know that their customer communication is generally awful ... not because they don't care or are rude, because they are not; They simply don't communicate very much. I have spoken to them several times at various events, and have suggested they create a community manager/customer relations position. It hasn't happened yet, but I hope one day it will.

No worries, I appreciate the response. It does seem like a frankly necessary expense of doing business, but then that's the trade-off. The visionary creative types are rarely good at the practical stuff and vice versa. I know I'd rather have the passionate dreamers working on my games and the efficient workers doing my insurance, but I guess we all have to vent now and then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new resin miniatures are now on the webstore ($10-$12.00 each).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like Sergeant Bunker and may end up grabbing him, but I'm looking and looking(and looking) at the Void Magus and the Grand Shaman, and while different they look pale in comparison to the Void Sorcerer and Serpentman Shaman. I'm not sure if it is just the anti-completionist in me or I'm just not seeing the detail.

Sarge is looking well, the extra arm suits him.

I am now really motivated to get the extra head mutation and go for the extra arm with my bandido.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I took side by side comparison images of the Void Magus and Grand Shaman with their minions. There are significant differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
I have my Cthulhu Wars lizard man to be my grand shaman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.