$15.00
$5.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Wargamers or Pirates in Nassau? 1st MN hits the beaches of the Bahamas. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Been spending some time (and probably some more) in Nassau, Bahamas. Any wargamers there? I know there was once a bunch of pirates; haven't seen any lately. Some dude named Woodes Rogers clean'd them out real good.

If you are in the hood, drop me a line. Anyways, would like to push some card board on the sand under a palm tree or two, with a bikini or two in the background and a drink with an umbrella in it firmly in hand. Maybe a WW2 North African game beacons...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wargamers or pirates in Nassau?
We've got him where we want him, boys! Quick, invade Minnesota!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
The Doctor has gone mad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chargetheguns wrote:
We've got him where we want him, boys! Quick, invade Minnesota!

It is well defended by the 1st MN tribe! Only a recon squad sent here...for now.

Osprey wrote:
The Doctor has gone mad has been stark raving mad for a LONG time!

1st invasion wave {LCU Disney Dream} of tourists {about to hit the beach - or Senior Frogs} this AM. Beach defenses appear somewhat lacking. Although there are no hedgehogs in swallow water, beach chairs should slow them down a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:

Been spending some time (and probably some more) in Nassau, Bahamas. Any wargamers there? I know there was once a bunch of pirates here; haven't seen any lately. Some dude named Woodes Rogers clean'd them out real good.

If you are in the hood, drop me a line. Anyways, would like to push some card board on the sand under a palm tree or two, while sipping some rum. Maybe a WW2 North African game beacons...

This isn't going to turn out like that film, "The Firm"?

Seriously, what are you doing in the Bahamas during the summer? You do realize that its nice and warm in MN right now, but in two months, that will all change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No palm trees in MPLS (or decent shrimp - although Lunds isn't bad in a pinch).

Been in and out of the Bahamas for a few years: payback for assignments in "challenging environments" much further to the east...such as...

...no pirates there either (although the wonderful city of Karachi qualifies as a pirate haven).

======

The reading of the rules begins! 1st MN recon squad initiates wargaming in Nassau.

Suppose I'll have to get some bikinis in pic with the game set up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for you. Pro-tip... stay there until next May.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We visited Freeport and Nassau during a cruise in January and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, doing scuba and the like. That plus Key West cruising in and out of New Orleans left us confirmed cruisers. Add some wargaming to the spa and the hot tub, and it would be my idea of a perfect vacation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be back in Nassau soon. Drop me a line if anyone happens to be traveling thru.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're looking eastern Caribbean this January or February, furthest west or north we get might be San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Herr Dr wrote:

Suppose I'll have to get some bikinis in pic with the game set up...

Please, no. Remain fully dressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Burkini?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing about considering an eastern Caribbean cruise -- it instantly gets me to thinking about reading a history of the American Revolutionary War in the region. Anyone have any suggestions? I've already read Mackesy's history of the war and O'Shaughnessy's "The Men Who Lost America" -- looking for more detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:

1st invasion wave {LCU Disney Dream} of tourists {about to hit the beach - or Senior Frogs} this AM. Beach defenses appear somewhat lacking. Although there are no hedgehogs in swallow water, beach chairs should slow them down a bit.

How many Nassault Squads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DiamondSylph wrote:
The thing about considering an eastern Caribbean cruise -- it instantly gets me to thinking about reading a history of the American Revolutionary War in the region. Anyone have any suggestions? I've already read Mackesy's history of the war and O'Shaughnessy's "The Men Who Lost America" -- looking for more detail.

Nels is your man on that subject ...or the Wilsons on CSW :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Karkared wrote:
Herr Dr wrote:

How many Nassault Squads?

Unknown...but I can comment on their counter ratings...

1-3-1-A (attack/steps/move/morale)

1 attack (they carry bottles of liquor that useful in a fight, however, they're usually somewhat tipsy even early in the morning and not in the best shape)...3 steps (they tend to be somewhat overweight, so, they can absorb some blows) ... 1 movement point (i've seen them wobble when existing the boat on their way to Senior Frogs and they are rather slow)...A morale (who isn't in a great mood visiting the place?!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reminder -- I'll reach out to Nels directly, he doesn't pop into CSW much these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I am going to ride out my first Cat 4; going to be one nasty beast. robot Lots of tv crews here at the hotel. I do have some wargames with me arrrh ...and a few good books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
Looks like I am going to ride out my first Cat 4; going to be one nasty beast. robot Lots of tv crews here at the hotel. I do have some wargames with me arrrh ...and a few good books.

Good luck. Take some pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Herr Dr wrote:

Good luck. Take some pics.

What he said. Stay safe out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Lots of TV crews broadcasting from here: ABC, Telemundo, some NYC station, etc

Chinese restaurant that even enlisted the cooks in sand bagging!

Drunk cruise ship people visit this place. For some reason, women take their tops off in here (probably related to drinking). They were removing everything (except bikini tops) today.

Furniture gets tossed into the pool during hurricane prep

Had lunch at the last open place on Bay Street this afternoon: a very good Greek bar/restaurant

Things will get crummy tomorrow during day. CAT 4 (12 to 24 inches rain...150 MPH winds...10 to 15 ft storm surge) supposed to hit at Thursday 2AM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunker down so you can get safely back to Minnesota and the blizzards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiamondSylph wrote:

'Patriots: The Men Who Started the American Revolution' by A. J. Langguth

'Valiant Ambition: George Washington, Benedict Arnold, and the Fate of the American Revolution' by Nathaniel Philbrick

Read both Mackesy's 'the War for America' and O'Shaughnessy's 'The Men Who Lost America'. Mackesy was so good, I read it twice, about 10 years apart. O'Shaughnessy's was tough for me to wade through. Also read Langguth's book twice.

For a really good background on the American revolution, try 'Crucible of War: The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766' by Fred Anderson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Don, much appreciated. I read Philbrick across a couple of long flights, but I'll take a look at Langguth.

Stay safe, Herr Dr., and let us know when you're free and clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiamondSylph wrote:
Thanks, Don, much appreciated. I read Philbrick across a couple of long flights, but I'll take a look at Langguth.

You're welcome.

If you haven't tried it, you may also want to check out Columbia Games' 'Liberty: the American Revolution'. (Just for the record, I really like block wargames.)

Don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.