Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Looking for some squadron feedback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Friso Holtkamp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I'm participating in my first tournament in a few weeks and I'm looking feedback on what squadron to bring. I play rebels and have most cards that come with them.

Option A:
A squad I've played with 12 times now, of which I won 8. call them the Flying Wallendas for some reason, don't ask me why;-)
E-Wing: · Etahn A'baht (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire Control System (2)
R7 Astromech (2)
T-70 X-Wing: · Ello Asty (30)
Determination (1)
· BB-8 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Weapons Guidance (2)
A-Wing: · Tycho Celchu (26)
Push The Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Wired (1)
-- TOTAL ------- 100/100p. --

Option B:
A new squad, I've played with variations of this a couple of times:
B-Wing: · Keyan Farlander (29)
Stay on Target (2)
Ion Cannon (3)
Fire Control System (2)
Attack Shuttle: · Sabine Wren (21)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Shield Upgrade (4)
· Hera Syndulla (1)
B-Wing: · Ibtisam (28)
Push The Limit (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
Fire Control System (2)
-- TOTAL ------- 100/100p. --

I'd actually like to bring some crew on the shuttle, but it got blown away in the second turn on my last game, so that shield upgrade looks rather tempting.

I quite like the E-Wing and T-70, and the B-Wing is starting to grow on me. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played in many X-wings tournaments.

I find critiqueing a list a rough task because you don't know what you will be up against.

I will say the first list is 3 ships and the second was only 2. That could be rough.

I think the better thing is to have a plan for beating what you are most likely to face.

Play practice rounds, against yourself even, against all the current top builds. Learn how to fly against each.

Triple U-Boat - huge alpha strike and will kill most ships the first round of engagement.

Dengaroo - 2 U-boat build with a large action economy and massage attacks.

TIE Swarm - an 8 ship build throwing 16 attack dice at you.

Imperial Aces - theses are the current hotness and are tough to beat. Most likely 3 Aces and a Palpmobile. Can be absolutely crushing.

Plan to beat each of those and you will do fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friso Holtkamp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thanks! Both lists actually have three ships, Option B has the attack shuttle and two B-Wings.

Considering the number of opponents, there's no way I can plan for all options, and I don't expect to end in the top 10 on my first try Maybe I should rephrase the question: are these good lists? Am I overlooking any mistakes, or are there killer changes I could make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C3po might be better than shield upgrade and 1 point cheaper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were going to make suggestions I might say something like -

List one -

The E-Wing is tough and is build nicely, but the Engine Upgrade is extremely helpful in arc dodging.

Elle is odd. BB-8 won't help much due to very few green maneuvers. R2-D2 or R5-P8 are a stronger choice to help regenerate shields. On the same note the Integraded Astromech does gain a extra hull essentially, but you will get more mileage from Autothrusters since you are arc dodging. That is what Ello does after all.

Techno is nice, but the same thought with Autothrusters. They are huge for arc dodgers.

List two -

I am not a fan the B-Wing. I feels time has come and gone. And the Shuttle is an odd choice. I think many other ships can fill the position better.

Having said that, it is interesting list. I like to see how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.