Popular Tags: [View All]
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting ready for another round of blind playtesting and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in reading through my rules and pointing out any confusing bits.

<Edit>Here is the link to the request for playtesters.</Edit>

The game is Moar Moai - it is a medium weight worker placement game about the ecological destruction of Easter Island. The game was a finalist in the Ion Award board game design contest, and has been improved since then.

The doc is 7 pages long, one of which is a full page image. You can comment inline in the google doc directly.

You can find the document here.

Finally, do you think that the lead in bit (the part that ends with "we need to build MOAR MOAI!") is necessary?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kotlowitz
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mb
As far as I can see it looks good although I would have to play the game before I gave the rules my very official stamp of approval!

The only thing I would recommend (keeping in mind that I've never written up my own rulebook) is a few more images which are directly referenced by the text. Aside from that I left two comments with minor suggestions.

Oh and I like the "MOAR MOAI", it adds nice flavour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Lester
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting looking game. Do you have a PnP available? If so, I would be happy to get it to the table for a blind playtesting session.

Read through the rules and most everything looks clear except for a few small things that I commented on as well as a larger question that could be just me being a bit thick. The way I read it, there are a total of 8 rounds - the first is a green event, then 4 yellows, then 3 reds. Is this correct?

Lastly, I echo Joshua's comments about adding more (and bigger) images if possible. I found myself scrolling back and forth between the main board/mats image and the description of the worker placement options. A bigger picture of the playing mat only just before the Possible Actions area would be a good solution.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joshua and Eli! Your comments and corrections have been invaluable! I will reply to the comments that were left here below.

Sheiss wrote:
Oh and I like the "MOAR MOAI", it adds nice flavour.

Thanks for looking at it! I have applied your suggestions, and I will definitely add more images shortly!

Travelin Eli wrote:
Interesting looking game. Do you have a PnP available? If so, I would be happy to get it to the table for a blind playtesting session.

I don't yet have PnP files available for the newest changes to the game. I will work on that right away, and post here when they are completed.

Travelin Eli wrote:
The way I read it, there are a total of 8 rounds - the first is a green event, then 4 yellows, then 3 reds. Is this correct?

I wrote that section in an unclear fashion. There should be a max of 11 rounds - 4 green, 4 yellow, and 3 red. There can also be fewer rounds if the ecology is damaged, which usually happens a few times each game.

Though I haven't put it in the rules, my local gaming group adds more cards to the deck, or removes cards from the deck to suit the play time that we have available. I have tried to update the instructions for building the deck, so hopefully what to do will be more clear now.

Travelin Eli wrote:
A bigger picture of the playing mat only just before the Possible Actions area would be a good solution.

Great idea! I will do that, and also add more images in other places.

<edit>I have finished making all of the changes that I promised here.</edit>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kotlowitz
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mb
The new images look great Michael!

All the best with this!

P.S. Apologies for my last bit of nit-picking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem - I appreciate all of the help. I haven't yet fixed the arrows, but I will.

If either of you would like the PnP files, here they are.

I haven't yet made black and white ones, but I will do that shortly (after I fix the arrows in the rule doc).

Once I have the PnP files both completed, I will probably make a new thread (so that this one doesn't become a dual purpose thread).

<Edit>I just fixed the arrows.</Edit>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Lester
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

Thanks for the PnP - will do my best to get it played this week and send you back a report. Do you have a form or questionnaire that you're using for playtesting?

Also, I did a quick rewrite of the flavor text in case it's helpful. Feel free to use it however you want or as a jumping off point for further revisions. Maybe the muse finds you today.

Quote:
Leading the greatest and most powerful clan on Easter Island isn't easy, so how do you cement your earnest reputation and rugged handsomeness into the annals of history? Why, with a hand-carved stone statue, of course, and the perfect perch on the island's shore.

But wait, what's this? Rival clans have stolen your innovative idea and are building statues of their own. It's a race to see which clan's statues measure up and you'll need more statues, bigger statues, and perhaps even statues with hats if you want to maintain your stately stature.

Of course, there's more to building a statue than just some rock and a chisel. Your people want trees to build fishing canoes, but you need the lumber to transport your creations to the shore. It's a tug of war between keeping your people fed and erecting the best statue.

Who needs food? We need to build MOAR MOAI!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I appreciate your willingness to try it out. I hope that it goes well for you.

Also, thanks for the modifications to the flavor text. I will definitely incorporate it into the rules. Would you like to be thanked in the rules document? I have a list of people I am going to be shouting out to already, so adding you would be pretty easy.

Concerning the playtesting form. I just created one - Here it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Lester
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No need for a thanks in the rulebook or anything like that. Looked over the playtesting form and everything makes sense. I'll definitely fill it out after we play and will try to get others in my group to do the same. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I think that the rules are now moderately clean, so I have opened up the playtesting request to the public.

The official post can be found here.

If anyone is interested in still editing the rules, I would appreciate it, and you can still post here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.