Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of buying a game table with a recessed playing area so I thought I'd post for recommendations/advice that might aid me in my decision.

I do have some ideas about what I think I want ...
- Round or Octaganal
- Ideally 54" diameter
- smooth topper that maximizes playing surface when needed
- ideally with option to remove top for recessed playing area

The main thing I'm not sure about; what is the ideal width of the ledge for the recessed playing area? I've seen some with a giant ledge and I suspect I wouldn't like that ... I'd rather maximize the central play area. At the other extreme, this table looks really appealing but the recessed area is technically for storage and the ledge looks to be about an inch wide: https://www.amazon.com/Fairview-Game-Rooms-FVGG1005-WC/dp/B0.... Would that be uncomfortable?

Unfortunately I haven't played on a recessed surface before so any other advice/opinions on this purchase are welcome! Specific table recommendations are welcome! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought about ordering from a board game table maker?

https://www.boardgametables.com/order/

They actually make a board game table in the hexagon footprint. Looks like it will be a little more than the one on Amazon, but, would be specifically suited to your needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Huso
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a great deal of experience with other tables but I have built two tables specifically for gaming with recessed play areas. Both of the tables I've built are recessed 2 1/4 inches down from the ledge you will rest your arms on. I've attached a picture showing the surface (I apologize for the lighting) as the playing surface is actually 1 1/2 inches down as I have two playing surfaces for the table, one in felt for card games and a wooden one I finished recently because Flick 'em Up!. With both surfaces on the table, about 3/4 of an inch is taken away, leaving that remaining 1 1/2 inches shown in the photo.

I find this depth works really well as it is very easy to peer over the ledge at any cards in front of you but is also comfortable for manipulating game components. Of course with any recessed table surface, it's nice now having to worry about rogue dice or having to worry about sending a search party during dexterity games.

I hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
futiles wrote:
Have you thought about ordering from a board game table maker?

https://www.boardgametables.com/order/

They actually make a board game table in the hexagon footprint. Looks like it will be a little more than the one on Amazon, but, would be specifically suited to your needs.

I like their Hexus, it is one I've considered and it's a strong contender. My only issue is, after shopping around some, I've decided I would really prefer to find something very similar but circular or octagonal instead of hex if possible. Hex would be fine most of the time but I do sometimes play 7 and 8 player games so a circle or octagon would be more ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeoBadtz wrote:
I don't have a great deal of experience with other tables but I have built two tables specifically for gaming with recessed play areas. Both of the tables I've built are recessed 2 1/4 inches down from the ledge you will rest your arms on. I've attached a picture showing the surface (I apologize for the lighting) as the playing surface is actually 1 1/2 inches down as I have two playing surfaces for the table, one in felt for card games and a wooden one I finished recently because Flick 'em Up!. With both surfaces on the table, about 3/4 of an inch is taken away, leaving that remaining 1 1/2 inches shown in the photo.

I find this depth works really well as it is very easy to peer over the ledge at any cards in front of you but is also comfortable for manipulating game components. Of course with any recessed table surface, it's nice now having to worry about rogue dice or having to worry about sending a search party during dexterity games.

I hope this helps!

It does, thanks! Looking at the pictures of some others they generally seem a bit deeper but I like the depth you have there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wyatt
United States
Stewartstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're pretty handy, I bet you could build your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FluidSpace wrote:
You're pretty handy, I bet you could build your own.

Thanks Wyatt,
Unfortunately, I'm actually more like the opposite of handy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.