Hide
9 Posts

Mare Nostrum: Empires» Forums » Rules

Subject: Occupying unoccupied province. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lychenus Laplace
msg tools
The rulebook defines changing province control flags as if a player moves into a [occupied] province.

What if the province is unoccupied? Can it count as 'war' with unoccupied provinces, occupied the flag, and then have the control maker placed there next turn?

The rule if interpreted as above, it would be natural, but the babaylon hero power would be very weak.

So must players 'buy' in controls for 3 units for new lands?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
My interpretation is that you cannot switch control of an uncontrolled province, because there's nothing to flip, so you have to buy it.

That also makes sense because if you lose connection (like if you attacked over a sea and your trireme got destroyed) it specifically says you can't build a new control marker which wouldn't be an issue because you could just "flip it."

However, I also believe having a legion there keeps anyone else from building there. So there's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
The cost of putting a control marker on an uncontrolled province reflects the cost of developing a barbarian region. Putting in a system of roads, indoor plumbing, that sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lychenus wrote:
The rulebook defines changing province control flags as if a player moves into a [occupied] province.

What if the province is unoccupied? Can it count as 'war' with unoccupied provinces, occupied the flag, and then have the control maker placed there next turn?

The rule if interpreted as above, it would be natural, but the babaylon hero power would be very weak.

So must players 'buy' in controls for 3 units for new lands?

I don't understand your question(s). Could you rephrase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lychenus Laplace
msg tools
Urhixidur wrote:

I don't understand your question(s). Could you rephrase?

I do not think they had uploaded the rulebook. The game isn't mine. I will try to recall.

In the rulebook, it exactly says you can only occupy flags when the province is occupied by other players. If it is uncontested for the next turn during the occupier's move and fight phase, the flag counter can be replaced.

It is undefined for unoccupied provinces, as the rules say flag flipping is for occupied provinces. So the problem is can you do it?

Naturally, it should be OK. And we took it that way for 3 games of 4 players.

The problem arises when we try out Babylon as the power of the first hero is to have a free flag on an unoccupied land. It would be a particularly weak power if the rules is interpreted our way as it is only a 3-turn power. It is dead in starting from the mid game.

I feel like now it makes better sense that one has to buy the flag for 3 units of gold/goods, although the occupy with army sounds very natural, and it takes one turn more for occupying instead of 'buying'.

So we want an official clarification on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Olver
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lychenus wrote:

It is undefined for unoccupied provinces, as the rules say flag flipping is for occupied provinces. So the problem is can you do it?

No, you can't!
It IS defined that you establish control by paying for a control marker.
Also in general, when reading a rulebook, assume "undefined" means you can't do it.

Of course, your house, your rules... amoung yourselves play how you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lychenus wrote:

In the rulebook, it exactly says you can only occupy flags when the province is occupied by other players. If it is uncontested for the next turn during the occupier's move and fight phase, the flag counter can be replaced.

Occupying another player's control flag is one of the options you have as conqueror, after you've moved in with units and kicked all opposing units out. If you remain the uncontested conqueror until the beginning of your next turn's Move and Battle, you replace the occupied flag with one of your own (for free). By uncontested, it means you successfully repel any other player's invasion of the province in question. If another player moves in and you do not kill him off, you are no longer conqueror (the province reverts to being 'at war'). (There are also some contiguity requirements)

As far as uncontrolled (unclaimed) provinces go, you cannot move in and occupy a non-existent control flag. If your empire is contiguous to the unclaimed province and there is no enemy presence in it, you simply buy the flag. You could move in with units in order to eliminate an enemy presence, but then you'd have to wait for your next turn's build phase to buy the flag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel is correct.

See section 4.3
Quote:

An attacker becomes a Conqueror if he is the only player to
have Units in an opponent controlled Province

If it is not an "opponent controlled Province", then you are not a conqueror, and you do not do the actions (like Occupy) that a conqueror does. You would have to buy the control marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Mattray
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Daniel is correct.

See section 4.3
Quote:

An attacker becomes a Conqueror if he is the only player to
have Units in an opponent controlled Province

If it is not an "opponent controlled Province", then you are not a conqueror, and you do not do the actions (like Occupy) that a conqueror does. You would have to buy the control marker.

I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.