Subject: Stall speed and tick lenght rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriele Z.
Italy
GE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found an interesting comment on WV page for Flight Operations Manual. I'm copying/pasting it here:

Quote:
Everything seems so elegant until you get to the part where you have to move one tick, but you also have to move your stall speed, which of course isn't necessarily marked where you're turning, except that stall speed is the space of one tick, except when you're turning, and it isn't.

No reply there from Andrew yet, but since I find the comment interesting and partially agrreable, I'd like to discuss it with fellow TAC players.

First of all, let me say that the game is good as is, and while I had some thoughts about this at first, experience thaught me that it's a non-existent issue, actually. It's just, as the original comment author points out, inelegant. It doesn't flush with the rest of the rules.

So want we discuss the subject? Just for the sake of it?

Said that the game is good as is, my only suggestion/hypothesis could be trying if making all ticks same lenght would break the game.
I suppose it wouldn't, but I think that a tight-turning plane should move a shorter distance, that's why Andy made tight-turns ticks shorter. So having all ticks same lenght would break this.
What about having all thick same lenght AND painting orange some of them, same way as ticks that would prevent turret fire, and say that if moving anything using orange ticks the plane will have to forfeit one tick of its max speed?
We'll have all ticks same lenght, and plane moving less while performing tight turns.

What do you think? Other ideas? Don't be shy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nelson
msg tools
Re: Stall spedd and tick lenght
I'm considering this as a solution:

A little bar that shows a full tick distance. The I-16 will get it once I decide on color. It needs to be noticeable without being distracting, and it has to work with the existing orange for aircrafts equipped with flexible guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"She comes out of the Sun in a silk dress runnin' like a watercolor in the rain."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I've just eyeballed it, which frankly IS elegant because it keeps the rule size smaller. There's value in that.

As the game stands it's designed to be simple, accessible, quick. I think you'd do well to decide where you want it to be a year from now, because there are a lot of more complex games in the genre to compete with. TAC is currently a featherweight that generates good gaming, occupying a unique space.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Z.
Italy
GE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I've just eyeballed it,

Me too. And works better than I'd expectet by reading the rules for the first time.

Quote:
which frankly IS elegant because it keeps the rule size smaller. There's value in that.

I could agree if you'd say "because it keeps the rule size simpler", as both my idea and Andy's fix don't change ruler size.

Quote:
As the game stands it's designed to be simple, accessible, quick. I think you'd do well to decide where you want it to be a year from now, because there are a lot of more complex games in the genre to compete with. TAC is currently a featherweight that generates good gaming, occupying a unique space.

Agree. Love the game because it's simple, portable and fast.
Anyhow, finding a balance between what players (market) asks (seems to want) and what's the author's idea of the game can be difficlut. Sure it's worth for the designer to take the time to think about the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came back to reply after getting an email that the Zero is updated to include stall speed on the performance ruler, so it looks like Andy is going that route. Other than doing that, I agree with you two that eye balling it works just fine. When I play I'm always knocking the planes a little out of whack from time to time, and surely am not always capable of maintaining a precise alignment between the aircraft's middle-arrow and the alignment with the tick marks on the ruler. So I don't experience any sense of loss by eye balling the stall speed in a turn. I will note that when I first played the game I had the same question, and even posted on it here. Upon playing the game it was quickly evident that eye balling worked fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kishkumen wrote:

All the tick marks in the world aren't going to help this plane. Two +0 dice as a full element and 1 energy? This might need an optional rule called "Live to fight another day," where the pilot can just refuse to take off. Except I think it's Russian, and refusing to fight didn't work out for those dudes too well...

It's noteworthy that you tantalizingly kept us from seeing what it's defense is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Z.
Italy
GE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
All the tick marks in the world aren't going to help this plane. Two +0 dice as a full element and 1 energy? This might need an optional rule called "Live to fight another day," where the pilot can just refuse to take off. Except I think it's Russian, and refusing to fight didn't work out for those dudes too well...

It's noteworthy that you tantalizingly kept us from seeing what it's defense is...

Bah, 588th flew on 1928 biplanes used for crop dusting. Children of Mother Russia are made of a different stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brown
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:

Looks like an I-16, most of the 1930's planes only had 2 guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.