7 Posts

Millennium Blades» Forums » General

Subject: Rarity of cards in a set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
msg tools
Hi all,

I have played this game for the first time yesterday night and had a blast with it. Since i am a mtg and hearthstone fan, this is my style of game. I think it recreate well what is like to be a ccg fan.

The only thing i think its missing, its the lack of rarity in the same set. Let me explain. When i open a pack of mtg, i always go to see if i did get this mythic rare that is worth so much more. Not only sets have different logo, but there is different color in each set determining if its a common, uncommon, rare, mythic rare.

In this game, when i buy a booster, i dont have the fealing of 'i hope i got the mythic rare of this particuliar set,! There is no rarity in the core set. You know you buy a core card, but you dont have the thrill of getting a rare card.

Am i missing something? Does the star system indicate something about the rarity of a card?

Hope my message make sense...

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ther is the exaltius in the core set which is a 1 of in a buge deck and can give you 100 RP I think it is quite exciting when you get that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in the fiction all the singles represent the rares from a booster pack.

In terms of the game, each set does have a single card at the top of the star ratings, so that's effectively the mythic rare.

For example, 1001 Nights has three 2* Aladdins, two 3* Cities of Brass, two 3* Ali Babas, two 4* Sindbads, two 5* Mystical Lamps, and one 6* Scherezade.

The star ratings vary by set, but the top card of the set will always have a star rating two higher than the cost of the card. So, for example, Millennium Masters is a 6-cost master set, and the top card is the 8* Bro'kin The Overpowered.

For the core deck, the 5* and 6* cards are pretty unique and special, and the six 7* cards and the 9* Exaltius would probably count as the mythic rares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a way, the card you get IS the rare. Commons/uncommons are simulated by the deck boxes.

That said, there are some cards that are more exciting than others. Exaltius is a good example. So is Burnizard. I also like most of the face cards from the expansions. Strictly speaking, you could think of any card that only has one copy as a "mythic".

If you have the promo pack with the Dragon Punch and other core set cards, that's also a lot like pulling a mythic. Here's a card that doesn't even have the base set logo, and is practically a promo card in terms of power! (I think it's promo pack #2. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Watkins
United States
flag msg tools
Each set is made up of 12 cards. For expansion sets there are 3 2-star singles, 2 3/4/5-star singles, 2 3-star deck boxes, and 1 6-star singles. For premier sets it is the same thing with the star numbers increased by 1, for master sets increase them by 1 star again.

If you look at the symbols on the back of the cards tell you the element and type of the singles in the set. The lower on the card the higher the star value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The composition of a set whose cards cost N is 3 N-2 singles, 2 N-1 singles, 2 N singles, 2 N+1 singles, 1 N+2 single, and 2 N-1 deck boxes.

In addition, every single and deck box in the core set is unique save for the fact that all the starter decks are in there. So if Bluelake is not present in the game, there's exactly one Maximillian, one Birkenstock, and one Waverly. Depending on your strategy, these cards can be fantastic (in particular Waverly is great for doubling down on strong Play: effects, and is therefore useful in a surprising number of decks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
msg tools
Thanks all for the explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.