Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's be honest with ourselves...with no mention at GenCon it is becoming more and more clear that FFG is letting BattleLore 2e die a quiet death. I know some people claim there is some sort of normal pace for releases for this game but it is wishful thinking with no mention of anything being on the horizon.

Some Questions...
1. This is the second consecutive iteration of BattleLore to die on FFG's watch. They promptly killed BattleLore 1e after acquiring it from Days of Wonder with minimal support. Would this franchise have been better in another company's hands?(in terms of longevity) Would this game have been better in CMoN's hands?(keeping it alive through Kickstarters if need be...but without the Terrinoth setting of course)

2. Is this the result of shortsightedness on FFG's part or merely reflective of diminishing sales for this game system? Have sales been weak enough to justify quietly shuttering the game?

3. Is this a by-product of the mega-company(in boardgames industry scale) that Asmodee NA/FFG/Days of Wonder/etc. has become...are things now getting axed to trim the catalog?

4. Is the low volume of forum traffic for this game(here on BGG and on FFG site) reflective of a small fan base? Was this caused by general gamer disinterest or FFG's silence on this game for quite some time now? (chicken or egg scenario)

I honestly don't know the answers to those questions but I am sad to see this game dying off. I loved BattleLore 1e and when FFG acquired the license I was optimistic...only to have them kill it and then sit on the franchise. Then when they revived it with the Terrinoth setting I was excited again and found the new rules to be a true improvement. But here we are again...that silence that seems to be the way that FFG quietly inters game systems that are no longer front burner lines for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't answer the rest as they would be merely conjecture on the inner workings of FFG, but I can answer my own opinion on this one.

PKDuke wrote:
Would this game have been better in CMoN's hands?(keeping it alive through Kickstarters if need be...but without the Terrinoth setting of course)

For me, no, it would not have been better. The Terrinoth setting is what interested me in BL2E. I don't think I would have been interested in either a Kickstarter approach (I'm pretty much burned out on most Kickstarters nowadays, even if I do grab one or two here or there), and if it was just a generic fantasy (or the hybrid pseudo-fantasy that BL1E was), I would not have given it a second look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Master Turtler
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the impression that they're selling too much unique plastic too cheaply in the Battlelore 2e system, and that the Runewars minis game is their correction to Battlelore.

The (second) least we can hope for (just ahead of them killing the line entirely) is a few cards to proxy in Runewars TMG figures into Battlelore, though it appears that the scale will be off, and that the bases won't match. The best we can hope for is that they push out a couple of elf packs before calling it quits with the game, though I doubt they'll be too enthusiastic about splitting their sales base.

It's too bad, and I hope I'm wrong. My wife and I really enjoyed Battlelore 2e, and we were hoping for an announcement of a new core set, along with Overlord rules to get our friends involved (and elves, especially).

Ah well. Soon it will be time to start proxying and tinkering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess that FFG is making more from the Star Wars license than anything else. I also assume that they have the Star Wars license for a limited time, so if it were me, I would make as much Star Wars stuff as I could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vilfroy
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We will know for sure come Christmas time and BL2 is being cleared out at low prices on FFG website. Pretty sad to get a lame "we don't talk about unannounced product" off the cuff line at GenCon without any other info. Either say it is dead or not. I know FFG doesn't announce end of products till like 5-8 years after the fact if at all. Pretty sad.

Command and colors system is still very popular but for whatever reason fantasy seems to be its Achilles heel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
People said the same thing after the base game launched and didn't have expansions for a while. Then they dumped out 4 army expansions.

Just because they don't announce new content every week doesn't mean it's dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
People said the same thing after the base game launched and didn't have expansions for a while. Then they dumped out 4 army expansions.

I really don't get the "Every week" comment...it has been a long time since any news, not just a few months. If there was even something on the distant horizon they'd have mentioned it at GenCon or on their site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:

Yeah, over a year without an announcement is hardly asking for every week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PKDuke wrote:

1. This is the second consecutive iteration of BattleLore to die on FFG's watch.

well, third if you count Battles of Westeros, a BattleLore game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neo Physix
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
In my opinion it is pretty clear that the player base of BattleLore is too small to justify continued/more support, i.e. it is not economically viable.

I don't blame FFG for that as they probably would have loved to repeat the success of their star wars games with one of their own brands.

If you look at the launch of the game, FFG did everything to ensure that BattleLore is off to a great start: multiple articles leading up to the launch to create hype about the game, the release of the awesome scenario builder that allows for endless community created content as well as the army packs that were in the pipeline already are proof to that.

But BattleLore did not get off the ground.
And FFG reduced their support of the game to a minimum.

Evidence for that is:
- FFG asked a community member (Julia) on their forums to collect questions for an upcomming FAQ. The thread was started in February 2014 and two and a half years later their is still no official FAQ...
- In Spring 2014 there was a guest article (Lady Luck Is a Carnivore) "with more guest articles to come in the following weeks". It is still the only article of that kind they released.
- The forum traffic speaks volumes about the state of the game / its player base.
- I didn't check the scenario builder for years but I would guess that it is pretty much dead too.
- Also the lack of any new products speaks for itself.

They tried to revitalize the game by releasing BattleLore: Command and the Waiqar army expansions but both attempts seem to have failed.

I was hoping that they would release at least the Latari expansion before they send the game to its slow death by no support but with Runewars TMG on the horizon and no news at GenCon, I wont hold my breath.

With no news for over a year, BattleLore might not be 'dead' dead but it definitively isn't alive either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Has the scale of Runewars Miniatures Game been announced?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same sculpts from Battlelore reused, and if they do then there is a chance that new figures for RWM will be compatible with Battlelore. Just a thought....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NeoPhysix wrote:
In my opinion it is pretty clear that the player base of BattleLore is too small to justify continued/more support, i.e. it is not economically viable.

I don't blame FFG for that as they probably would have loved to repeat the success of their star wars games with one of their own brands.

If you look at the launch of the game, FFG did everything to ensure that the BattleLore is off to a great start: multiple articles leading up to the launch to create hype about the game, the release of the awesome scenario builder that allows for endless community created contend as well as the army packs that were in the pipeline already are proof to that.

But BattleLore did not get off the ground.
And FFG reduced their support of the game to a minimum.

Evidence for that is:
- FFG asked a community member (Julia) on their forums to collect questions for an upcomming FAQ. The thread was started in February 2014 and two and a half years later their is still no official FAQ...
- In Spring 2014 there was a guest article (Lady Luck Is a Carnivore) "with more guest articles to come in the following weeks". It is still the only article of that kind they released.
- The forum traffic speaks volumes about the state of the game / its player base.
- I didn't check the scenario builder for years but I would guess that it is pretty much dead too.
- Also the lack of any new products speaks for itself.

They tried to revitalize the game by releasing BattleLore: Command and the Waiqar army expansions but both attempts seem to have failed.

I was hoping that they would release at least the Latari expansion before they send the game to its slow death by no support but with Runewars TMG on the horizon and no news at GenCon, I wont hold my breath.

With no news for over a year, BattleLore might not be 'dead' dead but it definitively isn't alive either.

So sad....it's a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soldier wrote:
Has the scale of Runewars Miniatures Game been announced?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same sculpts from Battlelore reused, and if they do then there is a chance that new figures for RWM will be compatible with Battlelore. Just a thought....

RuneWars Minis are closer to 28mm / 32mm, more like Descent, so compatibility is out. Ardus Ix'Erebus looked almost like the exact same mini as from Descent, but I wasn't able to hold the two up next to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Di Silvio
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still it would be nice from them to let us know at least, if they intend to let this line die off. Then we wouldn't keep waiting for an announcement that will never come.

That being said, I really hope they will release the elves before shutting everything down.

Edit: Also is the 109th game on the BGG rank really doing so poorly, that FFG can't justify producing an expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlasDemigod wrote:
Still it would be nice from them to let us know at least, if they intend to let this line die off. Then we wouldn't keep waiting for an announcement that will never come.

Do you really expect them to announce, while they still have stock out in stores all over the world, this game is dead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
PKDuke wrote:

I really don't get the "Every week" comment...it has been a long time since any news, not just a few months. If there was even something on the distant horizon they'd have mentioned it at GenCon or on their site.

Hyperbole. Sorry.

It's very much like FFG to just drop things out of nowhere. Just to name a few recent ones:
Mansions of Madness 2E was announced a week before it came out.
Warhammer Quest ACG characters were announced the day they came out.

There are countless games (in their catalog) that have went for long periods of time without any hint at an update, and people assumed they were dead (XCOM, Descent 2E post-Imperial Assault, etc.)

I don't think announcing end of life for a product necessarily has a bad effect for sales. Now that people found out that Mansions of Madness 1E is OOP, they're rushing to buy it. The same could easily happen for Battlelore.

I'm not saying it isn't dead. It might be. Only FFG knows the answer to that. I'm just saying that making that assumption due to lack of news is (based on FFG's track record) not reliable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neo Physix
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
AlasDemigod wrote:

That being said, I really hope they will release the elves before shutting everything down.

Edit: Also is the 109th game on the BGG rank really doing so poorly, that FFG can't justify producing an expansion?

The quality of a game and its popularity are only loosely correlated. There are many popular games that are not that great (e.g. Monopoly) and on the other hand there are a lot of great designs that never get the popularity to become an economic success (probably the case with Battlelore, although I don't think it's in the reds).

Although, with Runewars announced, it does not look likely that we will see any new expansions for Battlelore, all hope is not lost.
Even if there are currently no plans for new releases, the success of Runewars could lead to increased popularity of other games in the Terinoth universe, like Battlelore.
Therefore what we believe to be the deathblow for Battlelore could actually be its last hope.

Maybe that's another reason why FFG are not announcing anything in regard to the future of Battlelore. If sales pick up, they can continue to release new stuff. If not, Battlelore is just another great game in their catalog that will eventually get discontinued.

As for the scale of the Runewars minis, I am not bothered.
As long as the base of the miniature fits on the Battlelore hexes, i.e. its not bigger than 50mmx50mm (2"x2"), it will be usable in Battlelore games.
When I look at the different units in Battlelore, they don't seem to be to scale either and in my book the minis in Battlelore are only an abstract representation of the units they actually represent in the game.
Even if you wont be able to fit 3 cavalry models for example into a single hex, you could just as well use a single model and a "wound" counter to indicate the strength/size of the unit.

I am not sold on the mechanisms of Runewars TMG yet but I am looking forward for the miniatures that will be released alongside it.
If the quality is good and the prices are not too steep, the Runewars minis could be a great way to represent the units that currently have fan made rules but no miniatures.
Also, if the scale of the minis works out favorably, you can use the one set of miniatures for multiple games in the Terinoth setting (Runewars, Battlelore, Descent, Runebound(?)). So painting them is much more worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
NeoPhysix wrote:
AlasDemigod wrote:

The quality of a game and its popularity are only loosely correlated. There are many popular games that are not that great (e.g. Monopoly) and on the other hand there are a lot of great designs that never get the popularity to become an economic success (probably the case with Battlelore, although I don't think it's in the reds).

While true, BGG's ranks are not necessarily related to "popular demand". Monopoly may be a popular game in the general community, but is a very poorly rated game on this site.

So having a game ranked fairly high on the site (which 109 is, relatively speaking) does indicate that it's a pretty decent game for many "gamers".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Would this game have been better in CMoN's hands?

I dont think so. FFG are a far better company in my opinion.

I have faith they will release the elves expansion at some point. To be honest that would be enough material for me anyways. There is plenty of replayability with 4 factions plus the neutral unit expansions. Not all games need a million expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Battlelore 2ed. is incomplete without at least a fourth faction and a couple more neutrals. Perhaps FFG will publish the Elves to be completionist, even if they forsee only breaking even - apparently they've been developed already, waiting for the green light from FFG.

Then they could mothball 2ed. with a clear conscience and revive it in better times as 3ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Di Silvio
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Do you really expect them to announce, while they still have stock out in stores all over the world, this game is dead?

You're right, sorry. I'm just a bit frustrated by the waiting, that's all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
PKDuke wrote:

1. This is the second consecutive iteration of BattleLore to die on FFG's watch.

i was just about to ask this same question. Seemed like GoT was a good fit for this game, but since I don't really follow GoT games, wasn't sure if BoW has died out or not.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Minedog3 wrote:
PKDuke wrote:

i was just about to ask this same question. Seemed like GoT was a good fit for this game, but since I don't really follow GoT games, wasn't sure if BoW has died out or not.

-shnar

It seems to be more or less in the same situation of BL 2nd: no new stuff since long and no statements from FFG. These days I'm enjoying it a lot, however. Nice game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
msg tools
It's worth pointing out that, in the past week, they've announced new expansions for Cosmic Encounter and Letters From Whitechapel - both older properties that had gone a while without expansions.

It's possible that they just reserved most GenCon announcements for new games and/or huge sellers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zemus wrote:
I think that Battlelore 2ed. is incomplete without at least a fourth faction and a couple more neutrals. Perhaps FFG will publish the Elves to be completionist, even if they forsee only breaking even - apparently they've been developed already, waiting for the green light from FFG.

Then they could mothball 2ed. with a clear conscience and revive it in better times as 3ed.

These days, FFG is being run by a parent company that probably doesn't value having a clear conscience about much of anything. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for elves (though they've been known to show up when least expected...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.