$30.00
Dave G

Wisconsin
msg tools
Maybe I accidentally glanced over it, but we were playing last night (new to the game) and one person leveled up.
Do all HP's get replaced and cards turned over that were used?

I'm guessing so, but should verify before I just assume.
In video games we play like Diablo or whatever, when your character levels up, all potions and health all fill up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuel Fratila
Romania
Timisoara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can make your own house rule re healing and leveling up, but if you decide to follow the game rules then you won't get back your health when you level up, and when you die, you will heal only half of your health, if you still have a healing token.
This is because when you level up, your stats increase, including your health, and by healing completely when you reach 2nd level, the game becomes much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dgrams2000 wrote:
Maybe I accidentally glanced over it, but we were playing last night (new to the game) and one person leveled up.
Do all HP's get replaced and cards turned over that were used?

Absolutely not. You don't heal anything, only your max hp increase. (so you should take the EXTRA health that you got) Cards don't get flipped back either. You can find treasures that do that. (remember to reward treasures when defeating monsters)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G

Wisconsin
msg tools
well.. thats a bummer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mb
dgrams2000 wrote:
well.. thats a bummer.

Yeah, this game doesn't give you any breaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The HP markers are rather "you got hit" points (they look similar to the hit markers for monsters), so instead having many of them to represent your health you could just grab some when you get hit and receive damage.

When you level up, you keep the damage (hit markers), so your maximum health (or rather maximum number of hits you can still endure) increases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
The HP markers are rather "you got hit" points (they look similar to the hit markers for monsters), so instead having many of them to represent your health you could just grab some when you get hit and receive damage.

When you level up, you keep the damage (hit markers), so your maximum health (or rather maximum number of hits you can still endure) increases.

But it's not exactly elegant to have to count every time you're hit to see if you're now knocked out. It's a bit easier when you're out of tokens. Otherwise, both systems work fine, just be very clear which one you're using :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter cooman
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just put them all on and flip to the red side when hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
As a house rule, I just increase both HP total and the HP tokens when leveling up.

For instance; Level 1 HP total = 10, HP tokens = 5. Level up to 2; HP total = 12 (so +2), HP tokens = 7 (also adding 2).

I do this mostly because it's pretty hard to regain any significant amount of HP tokens (unless I'm overlooking some rule), so it only seems fair to increase HP tokens as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leander Leitner
Austria
Wels
Upper Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
The level 2 side of a hero explains what to do. If you level up, flip the card over to the level 2 side. Now your AC increases by 1, you get a new power card, your surge value increases AND you heal 2 HP...at least that's how I interpret the text saying "your hit points increase by 2".

If a hero starts with 8 HP, then is down to 3...and the text says "increases by 2" and you see the total value of 10...it would be OP to heal everything up to 10 HP...but not healing anything would not make sense either, the information "your HP increases by 2" would be useless as you are down to 3...who cares if your start value was 8 and could be 10 now?
Yes, you go still have 3 and get 7 points later up to your new maximum but it is not that likely...in short, a level up gives you 2 HP back.

By the way, I don't understand why some players use the markers as wound markers. WoA only has 1 side without a visible wound, LoD has both sides so you can choose. However, I find it easier to count the remaining hit points (only 1 action, just count!) than to count wounds and subtracting them from your initial hit points to know how much life you still have (2 actions...count and subtract).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the flip-to-red-side method, since you can not only see your current health, but can easily see from across the table how much healing each person could take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.