Subject: Some questions about rules. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played mission 1 & 2 yesterday and a lot of issues came up but we managed to find answer to most of them by searching this forum. Problem is the manual isn't very helpful, so I decided to post some of our queries here to get an official clarification.
I apologize if anything has already been answered, I probably missed it.

So here goes:

1} "Eligible units that begin the Reserve Phase no closer than three squares (exclusive) to an enemy unit"

This created some confusion. Does it mean 'Eligible units that begin the Reserve phase 3 or more squares away from enemy units'? Or is it '4 or more squares away'.

In fact, can anyone write down in a more boardgame-y language (for example use actual numbers, like 0-3 range) the whole 'which units, get X move points and which units get Y move points' mechanic of the reserve phase?

We couldn't understand what exactly happens with units at 3 range the way it's written.

2} Just an observation this one: The rules never actually mention in a clear manner which marker you need to use for each unit action. It's spread all over or mentioned when talking about specific cards.
Especially the Ops Complete marker is never really explained anywhere in the manual. We used common sense to 'get' what it does but I believe that this need clarification in the manual to make it more accessible.

3} Opportunity Fire. Can I use a card that allows me to fire a unit but is NOT a basic Fire card? For example, Reload & Fire or Moving Fire. Both allow firing a unit but they have extra effect.
The way the rules are written makes me think that the only way to initiate an Opportunity fire action is by spending a Fire card (and ONLY Fire card, not the other cards) or a Power that specifically allows Firing a unit.
Is this correct or not?

4} Can I add a Support card to an Opportunity Fire attack?

5} Do defenders get administrative markers (I'm not talking about Shaken markers) after an Assault Combat? I guess not but I couldn't find anything about this in the manual.

6} Jack's Insirational ability. Can she inspire herself to get the bonus?

7} No Move and Fire ability. It mentions 'in the same turn' but I believe it means impulse?
So essentially this ability just blocks the Moving Fire card from being played on a unit that has it as I cannot find any other interaction that it blocks right?

8} Combined attack. What this basically does is add 1 to the APF or HEF of Spiderbots after we calculate it the normal way right?

9} Can the Handler do anything else the impulse he deploys the Spiderbots?

10} Suppression ability. When it says 'any hit' it means any legal Ranged Combat 'Hit' results or ALL hit results? (Hit* is normally ignored in Ranged combat as we know)

For example, if I draw 2 cards to see how many hits the 50cal. using Suppression did, and I draw a miss and a *Hit, does that Shake the target or not?
What happens if that hit is canceled via Reaction card? Does it still shake the target anyway?

11} Not really a rules question but I remember seeing a game preview about the game. In that preview Buildings offered 2 Cover Value and Rough offered 1 Cover. In the actual game that I have, Building and Rough both offer 1 Cover. I was curious about that. Most wargames I've played (Note: NOT an experienced wargamer) give buildings more cover value than Rough terrain. So did it get changed during playtesting season?

That's all I can think of. It would be nice to have some answers as we are gearing up for Mission 3 which actually seems the first 'serious' mission of the game, the first two being some kind of tutorial introduction more or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Eagles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give some of these a shot:

Does it mean 'Eligible units that begin the Reserve phase 3 or more squares away from enemy units'? Or is it '4 or more squares away'.

If an EU begins its Reserve Phase with at least 3 squares in between it and the closest enemy unit, it can move 3 MP if Armored or 2 MP if Infantry. Both types must immediately stop if they enter a square that is within three squares of an enemy unit (inclusive). In other words, if at any point there are 2 squares in between the moving unit and an enemy unit, its movement must end.

Shaken units may only spend 1/2 (FRD) of this movement.

An EU that begins its Reserve Phase with 2 or less squares in between it and the closest enemy unit can move only 1 square but may not enter an enemy square.

The way the rules are written makes me think that the only way to initiate an Opportunity fire action is by spending a Fire card (and ONLY Fire card, not the other cards) or a Power that specifically allows Firing a unit.
Is this correct or not?

Hmmm. I might allow Reload and Fire vs original target, single firer, etc. Move and Fire seems too much of a stretch, though.

Can I add a Support card to an Opportunity Fire attack?

Sure -- the rules say to treat it like any other Ranged Combat attack.

Do defenders get administrative markers (I'm not talking about Shaken markers) after an Assault Combat? I guess not but I couldn't find anything about this in the manual.

You're right -- nothing in the manual. But I'd guess no admin marker for defender as well.

Jack's Insirational ability. Can she inspire herself to get the bonus?

I'd definitely say no. Nothing in the rules to support it, but I'm siding with the general trend in numerous tactical games that leaders aren't affected by their own abilities.

No Move and Fire ability. It mentions 'in the same turn' but I believe it means impulse?

Yes, it should say impulse or player turn. Mark addressed this in another thread.

Suppression ability. When it says 'any hit' it means any legal Ranged Combat 'Hit' results or ALL hit results? (Hit* is normally ignored in Ranged combat as we know)

Pretty sure it means any legal Ranged Combat 'Hit', not Assault '*Hit'.

What happens if that hit is canceled via Reaction card? Does it still shake the target anyway?

Since the hit is cancelled, I would say no Shake. The firing weapon would have to draw another hit to have an effect.

Hope that helps!

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bump

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
1} "Eligible units that begin the Reserve Phase no closer than three squares (exclusive) to an enemy unit"

This created some confusion. Does it mean 'Eligible units that begin the Reserve phase 3 or more squares away from enemy units'? Or is it '4 or more squares away'.

MHW: It means exactly what it says. No closer than 3 squares EXCLUSIVE. Inclusive would mean 3 squares or closer.

In fact, can anyone write down in a more boardgame-y language (for example use actual numbers, like 0-3 range) the whole 'which units, get X move points and which units get Y move points' mechanic of the reserve phase?

We couldn't understand what exactly happens with units at 3 range the way it's written.

MHW: As written above.

2} Just an observation this one: The rules never actually mention in a clear manner which marker you need to use for each unit action. It's spread all over or mentioned when talking about specific cards.
Especially the Ops Complete marker is never really explained anywhere in the manual. We used common sense to 'get' what it does but I believe that this need clarification in the manual to make it more accessible.

MHW: What is the question? I don't understand.

3} Opportunity Fire. Can I use a card that allows me to fire a unit but is NOT a basic Fire card? For example, Reload & Fire or Moving Fire. Both allow firing a unit but they have extra effect.
Is this correct or not?

MHW: You are correct. Only a Fire card or a Power card that allows you to fire may be used for Op Fire.

4} Can I add a Support card to an Opportunity Fire attack?

MHW: Of course. Why not?

5} Do defenders get administrative markers (I'm not talking about Shaken markers) after an Assault Combat? I guess not but I couldn't find anything about this in the manual.

MHW: Both units are marked Ops Complete after Assault Combat.

6} Jack's Insirational ability. Can she inspire herself to get the bonus?

MHW: Good Question. No, she can't.

7} No Move and Fire ability. It mentions 'in the same turn' but I believe it means impulse?

MHW: Sorry for the confusion. Yes, it does. Cannot move and fire in same impulse.
So essentially this ability just blocks the Moving Fire card from being played on a unit that has it as I cannot find any other interaction that it blocks right?

MHW: Yes

8} Combined attack. What this basically does is add 1 to the APF or HEF of Spiderbots after we calculate it the normal way right?

MHW: It does what it says it does.

9} Can the Handler do anything else the impulse he deploys the Spiderbots?

MHW: Page 19. Yep.

10} Suppression ability. When it says 'any hit' it means any legal Ranged Combat 'Hit' results or ALL hit results? (Hit* is normally ignored in Ranged combat as we know)

MHW: Good one. Yes, any legal Hit. In ranged combat "Hit*" wouldn't count.

For example, if I draw 2 cards to see how many hits the 50cal. using Suppression did, and I draw a miss and a *Hit, does that Shake the target or not?

MHW: No.
11} Not really a rules question but I remember seeing a game preview about the game. In that preview Buildings offered 2 Cover Value and Rough offered 1 Cover. In the actual game that I have, Building and Rough both offer 1 Cover. I was curious about that. Most wargames I've played (Note: NOT an experienced wargamer) give buildings more cover value than Rough terrain. So did it get changed during playtesting season?

MHW: Yep.

That's all I can think of. It would be nice to have some answers as we are gearing up for Mission 3 which actually seems the first 'serious' mission of the game, the first two being some kind of tutorial introduction more or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.