Subject: Kids games with a high toy factor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Gemmer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a little boy that will be 3 in December and he's starting to have a lot of fun getting games out. I've bought a lot of the Haba basics, but he's not ready yet to really play them as games. His favorites to get out are Animal Upon Animal, Here, Fishy, Fishy!, and Orchard. They all have such good components that you don't need to play them as games for a little one to have fun.

I'm hoping to get some ideas for some more kids games that will be fun a little later on as games, but would be fun now just to get out and play with. Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something in the Krosmaster: Arena family?

Basically a boardgame using collectible figures. A few come in the box, but many more come in boosters, window boxes, blind boxes, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

HEROSCAPE is always a good choice for young creative types.

You can pick up a copy of the base game (Valkyrie) for a decent price on Ebay. Quite cheap if you don't mind having a used copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C-O-C-O-N-U-T-S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gemmer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of things more in the vein of the games I listed. Something that could be a toy now and a game soon.

And I forgot about coconuts. I heard it was really fun though I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep track of the components with a 2 year old flinging them all over. laugh

Thanks for he responses!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartoona is cute with chunky tiles. Little ones can just start by making funny creatures, then you can challenge them to make creatures with different characteristics (e.g. 4 feet) then you can start playing most basic game.

I bought this for my nearly three year old niece very cheaply at coolstuffinc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UNO Moo has little ball shaped farm animals in a plastic barn.
Sneaky Snacky Squirrel has nice little rubbery acorns and a big squirrel-shaped tongs.

Both games should start working as games somewhere between 3-5. I have a similarly aged kid; these are a few of her favorites, along with Animal Upon Animal.

Hoot Owl Hoot does not have the toy factor, but it is a fantastic first cooperative game as soon as he is ready for taking turns and matching colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Manning
United States
Whitsett
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly suggest the wonderful Cranium game Bumparena. Believe it or not, I bought this game in college on a dare and have played it ever since... and it's completely intended to be enjoyed by kids! You basically assemble a 'Plinko' style game table with various components during the course of a game. There's a high toy and fiddle factor. I promise you'll have as much fun as your child. I still pull it out a few times a year -- it makes an excellent drinking game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flick'em Up has the big chunky wooden cowboys and the Stallion Canyon expansion adds horses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicken Cha Cha Cha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Chicken Cha Cha Cha
Pengoloo
Chickyboom
Gobblet Gobblers
Monza
Viva Topo!
Snail's Pace Race or Vroom Vroom

May I further suggest some excellent logic toys from SmartGames, namely Smart Car and Trucky 3. They're fully playable with as toys but also have great sequential puzzles. Also recommended by that company is Castle Logix, Three Little Piggies and others. You can find them on Amazon.

lampeter wrote:
Hoot Owl Hoot does not have the toy factor, but it is a fantastic first cooperative game as soon as he is ready for taking turns and matching colors.

I imported the German edition for its sturdier components and cute toy baby owls.kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at HABA games. For example:

Orchard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP already has Orchard, and some other HABA games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RenaissanceMom wrote:
The OP already has Orchard, and some other HABA games.

Unless the OP specifically asks for it, I don't look at the poster's collection. Sometimes people need reminders of what could work well within their collection. But even more important, future users will browse these forums with the same questions. Giving my top recommendation will be useful to them, even if the OP already owns it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't look through collections either. The OP mentioned his games right in his question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.