Subject: Tough on the British rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Burden
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else who plays the British side in RE find that it's almost impossible to win? It seems like all the French need to do is dig-in at the three main choke points and turtle for the rest of the game. It seems especially true if the British get terrible rolls on supply and replacements and the French roll high and get plentiful supply. I don't know I've played this several times and the British just done't seem to be able to get very far after the first few turns. Thanks for the comments and thoughts in advance.

Turks1966
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
Always
mbmbmbmbmb
turks1966 wrote:
Does anyone else who plays the British side in RE find that it's almost impossible to win? It seems like all the French need to do is dig-in at the three main choke points and turtle for the rest of the game. It seems especially true if the British get terrible rolls on supply and replacements and the French roll high and get plentiful supply. I don't know I've played this several times and the British just done't seem to be able to get very far after the first few turns. Thanks for the comments and thoughts in advance.

Turks1966

That has been my experience as well so far. But then, I don't have that much experience with OCS, probably overlooking vital things... The allied ability to laterally redeploy forces (all those motorised batallions) could make a big difference, given that most French units will be stuck where they are committed. Will have to test that soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo De Francesco
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Impossible not but is not easy. I've played RE several times and for both sides. I think Vichy is slightly favorite. CW must be very aggressive to have some chance but without some lucky its a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonello Salvatucci
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely possible to win as the CW in my experience, but the CW will typically have a rough time from the 2nd turn until the CW reinforcements arrive. Then CW have superiority and should be able to progress (provided they didn't lose too many units on silly attacks early on).

But it's surely tough to win against competent Vichy play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mb
Antonello wrote:
It's definitely possible to win as the CW in my experience, but the CW will typically have a rough time from the 2nd turn until the CW reinforcements arrive. Then CW have superiority and should be able to progress (provided they didn't lose too many units on silly attacks early on).

But it's surely tough to win against competent Vichy play.

Are you saying that I am not a competent player? DD

Well you are right (Antonello beat me easily with the CW recently)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonello Salvatucci
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:

Are you saying that I am not a competent player? DD

Well you are right (Antonello beat me easily with the CW recently)

Eh eh in your case it was a sudden death caused by a simple oversight. I doubt it will happen again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mb
I learnt a lot and enjoyed being schooled
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might sound easier than it is, but in my experience the secret is in creating a breakthrough by taking double turns. Keep giving Vichy the initiative as much as possible and then hit him twice at the right moment.

But, yes, it is tough for the CW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Baer
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Eric,

We found in playtesting that the game played very evenly between experienced players. Results of all types occurred. Sudden death for both the Commonwealth and Vichy happened multiple times. There were also many very close games that were decided on the last turn, again with victories by both Commonwealth and Vichy. So I was pleased that the game appeared as balanced as it could be as a game.

I've seen the same after playtesting also.

I believe that the Commonwealth has a somewhat more difficult assignment because historically they were tasked with Churchill's demand for action. That is, if the Commonwealth does nothing, the Vichy will win a decisive victory. However, this is no different than many wargames, one side is required to achieve certain goals and the other side endeavors to prevent those goals from being achieved.

So, in my experience I don't believe the situation is impossible for the Commonwealth player. And personally I always enjoy the challenge of playing the Commonwealth side.

CHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Blackman
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turks1966 wrote:
Does anyone else who plays the British side in RE find that it's almost impossible to win?

The Allied player has to balance attack with force preservation, which is not an easy job in OCS, especially with chokepoints up the coast, rugged terrain inland, strong Vichy opposition in the desert and a dangerous enemy air force.

I think it is easier to play defence in RE, and that will tend to favour the defender unless the attacker is really on it, or getting the luck. But I think it's a very strong game, interesting for both sides, even if its not completely balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.