Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something occured to me while I was analyzing the rules. At first it was going to be a question of game balance, until I realized it seemed more like intentional game strategy/ choice by the designer's part.

While it isn't said out loud in the rulebook, I figured I should share it here.

First of all the question came to mind when I realized two things:
1) The system stack at game start is assured that the first 6 disks will be non-phenomena systems. After which its random luck.
2) Its possible to stack Warp on turn 1 and essentially EXPLOSIVELY explore as you first move.

This made me realize that, if I were the first player, its possible for me to do the following with my first 5 commands:
1) Have a ship Enter Warp (Warp 1)
2-4) Have the same ship gain +3 Warp Tokens for -3 Exhausted Commands
5) Exit Warp to travel/ explore 4 systems on turn 1!

This may seem crazy, but remember - the FIRST 6 DISKS ARE NOT PHENOMENA! Meaning this explosive exploration has minimal chance of entering a Hazardous location (Excalivia exists, as does Cestus III and others...). The only real risk of doing this is that you will draw a deadly Crisis as one of the 4 exploration cards drawn. Otherwise there is a decent chance of your ship surviving, and your empire having mapped a significant size of the galaxy for your purposes!

Not only that, the following two players are confronted with the fact they cannot repeat this as, after the next 2 systems are drawn, there is a chance of them flying head first into a Neuron Star and wasting a few warp actions in the process.

Heck its possible at that speed to possibly make first contact IN THE FIRST ACTION OF THE GAME! Which is kinda crazy tbh!

It seemed a dick move at first (something the Romulans would do for sure...), but then I started to rethink this and realized... this was actually a double edged blade!

On one side, you've charted a decent amount of territory. However NONE of those are Phenomena! And lets face it, while hazardous, they do provide a very nice supply on Research without needing to spend -2 Research and -1 Production to build a node (you just gotta risk a ship each turn).

Thus by exploring EXPLOSIVELY fast as the first player, you've in turn accelerated the speed your competition will start finding these themselves and choosing where they place them!

Not only that. While you may have charted the Quadrant, none of it has been colonized or claimed. Essentially while you may have discovered the map, you've also revealed it to the competition - letting them reap the rewards of your work!

Basically there is merit for doing both. The design of "2-systems per player" on the system stack was intended to encourage the idea of a safe exploration in the early game, but it also allows for this reckless-but-rewarding maneuver to happen!

Either way, I think it has bonused on both sides. Let me know what you think, and tell me what its like when you hit Warp 10!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your strategy won't work. When the ship reaches the first new system it leaves warp and loses all its tokens.

Page 11 wrote:
After exiting Warp, discard the Ship's Warp Tokens.

Paee 11 wrote:
Entering a New System always ends your Movement, even if you have Movement remaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep, an impossible move.

anyway, since you want to colonize systems fast, having to move yet another ship to that system for the colonization itself means you wont be able to build new resource nodes until turn 3.

you generally use the same ship that explored the system to colonize it in the next build phase.

you could do this move if by random chance you draw a few "Q" exploration cards in a row as these send you on to another system (dont know if there's more than 1 Q card in the deck)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah awesome! Thanks all! I was somewhat worried this was going to work when I just realized "wait.... doesn't that mean I could also build a 6 ship fleet and LAUNCH it at an enemy homeworld against their 3 ships + 4 structures?"

Glad that got shut down tbh! Ty :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While what you describe is impossible we did have something similar in one of our games. The klingon player spend their first 4 commands to warp explore twice and with their last command putting their third ship into warp to gained a token at end of round. Then on the following turn they were able to establish two new colonies with production nodes and double warp moving through one of the systems they explored the previous turn for a third planed on their second turn.

They were lucky and pulled 3 resource planets with virgin world cards on each explorations so it was a pretty strong start to say the least, meanwhile our romulan player pulled two level 3 warp civilizations and played at a serious deficit for the majority of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
did the romulan player try a hegemony roll on the warp 3 civs? gaining a colony with up to 3 nodes already built is quite a boost and is worth the try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
chbyer wrote:
They were lucky and pulled 3 resource planets with virgin world cards on each explorations so it was a pretty strong start to say the least, meanwhile our romulan player pulled two level 3 warp civilizations and played at a serious deficit for the majority of the game.

How did that game turn out? Did the initial bad luck make the game unwinnable for the Romulan? Did the Klingon win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
chbyer wrote:
While what you describe is impossible we did have something similar in one of our games. The klingon player spend their first 4 commands to warp explore twice and with their last command putting their third ship into warp to gained a token at end of round. Then on the following turn they were able to establish two new colonies with production nodes and double warp moving through one of the systems they explored the previous turn for a third planed on their second turn.

I would guess that's the standard opening move. Unless your being aggressive. When you might. use 2 commands to explore a system, point it back towards the board edge. Use the other 3 commands to put all 3 of your ships into warp. Turn 2. use accumulated warp tokens to scout all the way to an enemy home system. You can rotate the first colony world towards them to reduce distance. Pointing it away was just to increase the chance of a surprise attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.