Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several inconsistencies with the FAB:Golan's setup, between units, map, rules, and setup charts. I intend to catalog them here, inserting corrections and clarifications as they become available.

Israeli Units:
d10-177/7th Armor - Unit and map say it sets up in area 42; setup card says area 52.
ANSWERED by Rick Young below; map setup is correct.

d10-253/188th Armor - Unit and setup card say area 30; map says 31.
ANSWERED here. Map is correct (although it also gets the unit name wrong, as Adam Parker points out below); set it up in 31.

Israeli Assets/Markers:
d10-1According to setup instructions, minefields are placed between areas 26/83, 51/52, and 47/50. Given that two of those sets of areas are not even adjacent, I'm confident that the minefields as printed on the map are correct: 29/30, 47/48, and 50/51.
ANSWERED by Rick below; map is correct.

d10-2 Israeli Mines - the setup card says place per rule 14.11. This of course is 14.02.

Syrian Units:
d10-1Morrocan unit is stickered with infantry symbol; setup card shows mechanized.
ANSWERED here. Unit sticker is correct; it's infantry.

Syrian Assets/Markers:
d10-1GHQ artillery is marked to enter on turn 3; setup card shows in from start.
ANSWERED here. Setup card is correct; it's available from turn 1.

d10-2According to setup card, Syrian reserve markers start in the reserve marker holding box. According to scenario instructions, they start either on the 132 Mech and 51 Tank (historical deployment) or on two units of the player's choice (alternate setup).
OPEN, but I'm fairly sure the scenario instructions override the setup card.

Other:
d10-1Scenario setup says Israelis start with 5 VPs; there are 6 VP locations on the mep.
ANSWERED here. Correct number is 6.

d10-2Assault markers, according to historical scenario instructions, are put in areas 26, 27, 39, 47, 50, 57, and 58. Based on the location of Syrian units on the map, this should actually be 27, 28, 39, 48, 50, 57, and 59.
ANSWERED by Rick below; disregard area numbers in scenario instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helpful, thanks. I changed several of these with a pen. Most of them are quite minor and, thankfully, the "right" one is correct from a practical component perspective (eg Moroccan unit sticker is the thing that is right, thankfully).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garysax wrote:
Helpful, thanks. I changed several of these with a pen. Most of them are quite minor and, thankfully, the "right" one is correct from a practical component perspective (eg Moroccan unit sticker is the thing that is right, thankfully).

Still, I'm a little chocked that there are so many of them. I know it can be easy to let a small error slip your attention but this amount just shows that someone wasn't doing his job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
durchske wrote:
garysax wrote:

Still, I'm a little chocked that there are so many of them. I know it can be easy to let a small error slip your attention but this amount just shows that someone wasn't doing his job.

Well, I was preordered and received the first printing of The Dark Valley, which was pretty terrible as far as this kind of minor errata. FAB:Golan isn't perfect, but it's not as bad as it might be! (Won by the Sword, anyone?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bown
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking forward to FAB Golan, and, not having yet received my copy here in the UK, I'm more than a little miffed at the number of little errors already found. One or two is to be expected but there are already several and most people won't have spent much time with their copies yet.

Fingers crossed everything has already been found

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I figured out what happened, and I apologize.

At nearly the last minute we discovered one of the numbers was duplicated, I think it was 30, we were happy to have caught that and renumbered the areas to 'fix' the problem.

Unfortunately, we clearly forgot to cross-check the rules for items that referred to area numbers.

We'd have been better off leaving the duplicated area number alone as it turns out.

Basically, the items printed on the map are correct, the rules may be off when listing area numbers.

Our bad, and I apologize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Glad the map numbers are the ones that right, easier to change the other references.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Diablo
msg tools
Thank you very much Sam!

I will check back with this overview from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam, I’ve got two corrections and a minor typo addition to your list:

1. Israeli Units

Quote:
77/7th Armor - Unit and map say it sets up in area 47; setup card says area 52.

ANSWERED by Rick Young below; map setup is correct.

The set up card actually says Area 42. This is correct, Nafakh. The map is correct. The sticker is wrong.

Quote:
53/188th Armor - Unit and setup card say area 30; map says 31.

ANSWERED here. Map is correct; set it up in 31.

Area 31 is indeed correct but the map is wrong. It shows the unit “51 (-)”.

2. Israeli Mines

The setup card says place per rule 14.11. This of course is 14.02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fosfa
Spain
flag msg tools
Assault markers: It seems that should be 27, 28, 39, 48, 50, 57, and 59, where are syrian units crossing. It's clear that scenario setup is wrong (26, 27, 39, 47, 50, 57, and 58).

Minefields it's not clear to me.
In the map we have this boundaries: 50/51, 47/48, 29/30 marked with minefields. Then 14.02 says to put 3 minefields in map marked locations and other 3 freely.
It's supposed that boundaries indicated in scenario setup (26/83, 51/52, and 47/50) are wrong as it relates to the locations of the minefields on the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fosfa wrote:
Assault markers: It seems that should be 27, 28, 39, 48, 50, 57, and 59, where are syrian units crossing. It's clear that scenario setup is wrong (26, 27, 39, 47, 50, 57, and 58).

Minefields it's not clear to me.
In the map we have this boundaries: 50/51, 47/48, 29/30 marked with minefields. Then 14.02 says to put 3 minefields in map marked locations and other 3 freely.
It's supposed that boundaries indicated in scenario setup (26/83, 51/52, and 47/50) are wrong as it relates to the locations of the minefields on the map?

As per Rick's comment above, I'm sure the map-printed locations for minefields are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Bjästa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The map is correct in all regards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.