Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious on your thoughts on this?

Last night he swung a game for us.

The 2 player game is pretty tight and he adds 2 to each of the leadership tracks. That was insurmountable in this particular game.

I was just curious what you all think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was this with the Atlas expansion? Could you elaborate more on your 2p experience please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
2p variant in the expansion. Punic Wars.

Just out of curiosity, how is it that you play Mare Nostrum 2p? The Punic Wars variant is all that I am aware of, and the only way I have ever done 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have Mare Nostrum yet, but I'm keen to find out more about how it plays 2 player. Punic Wars is the 2p variant in the Atlas expansion then? Do you think it played well or was there much missing by only having 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brave Sir Glen
msg tools
I have played 8 times in 2 player game. It does play well. It is tight and we have had military dictate a couple of them but never a military victory. You can use military to keep your opponent down. Most wins have been the 3 leader track. We had the pyramids once and 5 heroes once.

We are only showing 5 heroes to start with and then add 2 heroes every time a hero is taken.

That being said we have agreed to exclude Hercules in our games moving forward (2-player). He is too powerful in 2 player game. As was mentioned the 2 victory point swing is VERY hard to overcome if the game was at all close prior to person getting it.

It has been exposed 3 times and the 2 times it was taken was victory (I purposely avoided it in the 2nd game since it would have been over if had taken it). My dad NEVER beats me in these types of games because he normally focuses too much on straight combat is more tactical than strategic. The only game he won was the one time he took Hercules. He played to get Hercules so I credit him for that but he also knew I was NOT going to take it as it would have been too easy.

Before anyone asks; YES we know the rule in 2-player game you must hold onto victory track lead the entire next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luckysolo7 wrote:
I have played 8 times in 2 player game. It does play well. It is tight and we have had military dictate a couple of them but never a military victory. You can use military to keep your opponent down. Most wins have been the 3 leader track. We had the pyramids once and 5 heroes once.

We are only showing 5 heroes to start with and then add 2 heroes every time a hero is taken.

That being said we have agreed to exclude Hercules in our games moving forward (2-player). He is too powerful in 2 player game. As was mentioned the 2 victory point swing is VERY hard to overcome if the game was at all close prior to person getting it.

It has been exposed 3 times and the 2 times it was taken was victory (I purposely avoided it in the 2nd game since it would have been over if had taken it). My dad NEVER beats me in these types of games because he normally focuses too much on straight combat is more tactical than strategic. The only game he won was the one time he took Hercules. He played to get Hercules so I credit him for that but he also knew I was NOT going to take it as it would have been too easy.

Before anyone asks; YES we know the rule in 2-player game you must hold onto victory track lead the entire next round.

If the game is at all close, simply attack and occupy 2 caravans or 2 cities - that will cost the opponent 2 points on the Trade or Political track and boost you 2 points on the same track. That is enough to overcome a 3 point deficit on that track if you are not the current leader (and a 4 point deficit if you are the leader).
If the game is not close enough for that to work, you have already lost.
If you don't have enough military to do that, you have already lost (you don't need all that much, as there are always provinces that are weakly defended, and often several can be reached with only 2 triremes, and 3 legions should be enough to perform this tactic)

Ramses can really help with this situation. The Queen of Sheba can be used to instantly convert a province to accomplish the same as occupying.
There are also other Heroes that can offset most of the advantage of Hercules (e.g. Perseus provides +1/+2/+1 compared to Hercules +2/+2/+2).

So, Hercules provides a decent boost, but not much more than heroes that also have decent abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.