Adrian Teroux
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi to all,

The Byakhee monster's special effect is that if you defeat it, you may choose to lose one sanity and move three spaces instead of resolving another encounter.

Let's assume that the space on which you encounter the Byakhee has other monsters as well. If I start my encounter phase by choosing the Byakhee to fight first, am I then allowed to elect to move without encountering the other monsters on that space?
I know the rules state that I must encounter each monster one at a time, but since there is special text on the Byakhee token that might change the outcome of the encounter phase, I just wanted to make sure I was playing it right.

Thanks for your time and help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Byakhee's effect replaces the additional encounter you would be entitled to after defeating all the monsters on your space.
So, you must still have the rest of combat encounters. And defeat the monsters if you want to have a free flight.

Edit 2: Restored original formatting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Teroux
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks a lot for clarifying that for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Byakhee's effect replaces the additional encounter you would be entitled to after defeating all the monsters on your space.
So, you must still have the rest of combat encounters. And defeat the monsters if you want to have a free flight.

What's your justification for having to defeat all monsters before flying away? As i read it, the Byakhee's trumps the normal encounter phase (as it's a more-specific rule, i.e. monster-specific rules trump the rulebook).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurelian
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks like I've been playing this wrong as well then, has it been clarified by FFG? The wording could be interpreted a different way, that you may lose the insanity and move if you defeat the monster - which is instead of an encounter (if there would have been one - but if there's no further encounter, you can still move anyway).

Similarly then I guess you also can't use the effect to move after defeating the byakhee in an ambush? That is very relevant to know for the latest AO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
haroth9842 wrote:
Yeah, source?
Khopesh of the Abyss kinda works like that where using the teleport explicitly eats your additional encounter (I'd argue you can still use it to abort out of a fight series, but needing to reach the extra encounter first is a valid position too), but it has some language in there to indicate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
Yeah, source?
Byakhee uses the same wording Gug does, so it works the same way Gug does.
Both of these monsters replace your "additional encounter" with something, and neither of those affects the rest of the Combat Encounters.

Edit: Nonsense. It doesn't use the same wording.
Edit 2: In the light of Nikki's answer: It should use the same wording as it does work the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Combat Encounter is a type of encounter, isn't it? The Byakhee says, "If you defeat this monster during a Combat Encounter, you may lose 1 Sanity and move 3 spaces instead of resolving another encounter."

If it had said, "... instead of resolving an additional encounter," I would definitely agree that the investigator would still have to encounter and fight the other monsters on the space first. "An additional" encounter is definitely how the rulebook describes what to do if you fight a monster and defeat it.

But "another encounter" to me means an encounter of any type, including Combat Encounters. Of course, this could just be a case of inconsistent wording and they really intended it to be the same thing as "an additional encounter".

Does anyone know why, thematically, killing a Byakhee would grant someone the ability to move away so quickly and so far? If it's that you aren't actually killing it, but that you jumped on it and got it to fly away with you, then it would kind of make sense that it would happen before fighting the other monsters. I don't think it would stick around and wait for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
(...) The Byakhee says, "If you defeat this monster during a Combat Encounter, you may lose 1 Sanity and move 3 spaces instead of resolving another encounter."

If it had said, "... instead of resolving an additional encounter (...)
Thank you. I have misread the original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Actually got confirmation from Nikki about this a while back.

My question:
Quote:
3) Say there are 4 monsters on a space, and one of them is a Byakhee (which, if defeated in a combat encounter, allows the investigator who defeats it to move 3 spaces instead of doing an additional encounter.) If the investigator chooses to encounter the Byakhee first and defeats it, can he do this move immediately (avoiding the encounter with the other 3 monsters) or must he encounter the other 3 monsters before moving? If the space the investigator moves to has a monster, does he have to encounter it? Thanks!

Nikki's response
Nikki wrote:
3) The movement granted by the Byakhee’s effect replaces the additional encounter the investigator would receive if all Monsters on his space are defeated or discarded. As such, the movement does not occur until after resolving each of the Combat Encounters for that space. Then the investigator may resolve an additional encounter or he may spend 1 Sanity to move 3 spaces. If the investigator moves to a space containing other Monsters, he will not encounter those Monsters during the same Encounter Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iceysnowman wrote:
Actually got confirmation from Nikki about this a while back.

My question:
Quote:
3) Say there are 4 monsters on a space, and one of them is a Byakhee (which, if defeated in a combat encounter, allows the investigator who defeats it to move 3 spaces instead of doing an additional encounter.) If the investigator chooses to encounter the Byakhee first and defeats it, can he do this move immediately (avoiding the encounter with the other 3 monsters) or must he encounter the other 3 monsters before moving? If the space the investigator moves to has a monster, does he have to encounter it? Thanks!

Nikki's response
Nikki wrote:
3) The movement granted by the Byakhee’s effect replaces the additional encounter the investigator would receive if all Monsters on his space are defeated or discarded. As such, the movement does not occur until after resolving each of the Combat Encounters for that space. Then the investigator may resolve an additional encounter or he may spend 1 Sanity to move 3 spaces. If the investigator moves to a space containing other Monsters, he will not encounter those Monsters during the same Encounter Phase.

i'll accept that as valid because of it's source, but i still don't buy it, in that it's a rather far-fetched interpretation of the wording (in particular the part about being able to continue to fight other monsters in the same encounter phase after we've already chosen to take that "last" encounter to move) (edit: my misreading was pointed out by another reader).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in my mind, I'm considering this an errata to the wording of Byakhee to "If you defeat this monster during a Combat Encounter, you may lose 1 Sanity and move 3 spaces instead of resolving the additional encounter."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
(in particular the part about being able to continue to fight other monsters in the same encounter phase after we've already chosen to take that "last" encounter to move).

No, Nikki said you can't continue to fight other monsters after doing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Interesting.
So what happens when you fight a Byakhee in a fight outside the normal "combat encounter(s) -> additonal encounter" framework? Like from an ambush during an encounter (I'd assume Hastur may have some of those), or during Reckoning of a Hastur cultist?
No move?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, no move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.