Subject: Movement during exploration rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
If this is addressed elsewhere, I apologize.

Often when exploring, you are able to move into the new room one space. This, I realize, is in addition to normal movement, assuming the character has taken the move action, and if so, a character may get to move three spaces in one turn.

In the rules reference, we have under "Explore Action" the following:

"An investigator can perform an explore action of an exploration token only if he occupies the same space as that token or a space adjacent to the door the exploration token is placed on."

A little confusing, but in my mind, a door in a space adjacent to the investigator's in the same as saying the investigator is in a space adjacent to the space containing the exploration token. If this is true, this means that potentially an investigator gets two bonus movement points when exploring, meaning you start in a space adjacent to the exploration token and end up one space into the room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Drpretorios wrote:

Often when exploring, you are able to move into the new room one space. This, I realize, is in addition to normal movement, assuming the character has taken the move action, and if so, a character may get to move three spaces in one turn.

"An investigator can perform an explore action of an exploration token only if he occupies the same space as that token or a space adjacent to the door the exploration token is placed on."

A little confusing, but in my mind, a door in a space adjacent to the investigator's in the same as saying the investigator is in a space adjacent to the space containing the exploration token. If this is true, this means that potentially an investigator gets two bonus movement points when exploring, meaning you start in a space adjacent to the exploration token and end up one space into the room.

Exploring requires an action.

So you can move 2 spaces or you can move and explore... moving 2 spaces total.

edit: I guess you're asking specifically about tokens in "adjacent spaces." Um... one sec.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:

edit: I guess you're asking specifically about tokens in "adjacent spaces." Um... one sec.

You can move 2 spaces with one Move action...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A door is considered adjacent to the two spaces it connects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Wilkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. I believe it only references spaces that contain an Explore token for cases like hidden passages. A door doesn't occupy a space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Titeman wrote:
Ninja_Bob wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:

Err... of course you can. Ignore that.

But re-reading the rules, I think the OP might be correct. If you interact from an adjacent space, that would move you 2 spaces into the tile you just explored. Hm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
Titeman wrote:
Ninja_Bob wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:

But re-reading the rules, I think the OP might be correct. If you interact from an adjacent space, that would move you 2 spaces into the tile you just explored. Hm...

That indeed is what I suspect. Explore from an adjacent space, which means move one space to where exploration token is located, and then another space into the new room. This would be outside normal movement. That's how I'm reading the rule, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drpretorios wrote:
Ninja_Bob wrote:
Titeman wrote:
Ninja_Bob wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:

That indeed is what I suspect. Explore from an adjacent space, which means move one space to where exploration token is located, and then another space into the new room. This would be outside normal movement. That's how I'm reading the rule, anyway.

No this is not correct. The RRG states that a door is not considered to be in any space. A door is instead considered to be adjacent to the two spaces it connects. Therefore the rule the OP quoted is saying you can take the explore action if you are in a space containing an explore token (which I have never seen occur so far) or you can take the explore action if you are in the space adjacent to a door which has an explore token on it (which is the only way I've seen the explore tokens set up so far).

EDIT: Spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:

.... Therefore the rule the OP quoted is saying you can take the explore action if you are in a space containing an explore token (which I have never seen occur so far)....

Currently this only happens with secret passages, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
thebaker1983 wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:
Ninja_Bob wrote:
Titeman wrote:
Ninja_Bob wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:

No this is not correct. The RRG states that a door is not considered to be in any space. A door is instead considered to be adjacent to the two spaces it connects. Therefore the rule the OP quoted is saying you can take the explore action if you are in a space containing an explore token (which I have never seen occur so far) or you can take the explore action if you are in the space adjacent to a door which has an explore token on it (which is the only way I've seen the explore tokens set up so far).

EDIT: Spelling.

Makes sense. I'm just not sure why they mention door adjacency in the RRG, as it just confuses the whole issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I explore in the same space as an explore token as my first action which then instructs the investigator that they may move and I do move.....then I could take my second action to move up to 2 again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firthaa01 wrote:
So if I explore as my first action which then instructs the investigator that they may move and I do move.....then I could take my second action to move up to 2 agaiagain?

Correct. Everything that happens as a result of selecting the Explore action is part of that Explore action. The vast majority of Explore actions will result in being able to move one space into the explored room for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And for sake of completeness, since you can interrupt a move action to perform another action, you can move 1 space in to a space with an exploration token, interrupt your movement and perform an explore action, get the free move into the next room, then complete your move action by moving one additional space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
Drpretorios wrote:

I read this as saying, you can try the door (Interact with the token) if you're in the space with the token, or in the space on the other side. Since some doors have effects when you touch them, you can have an explore token with rooms on both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.