Todd
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
The World Cup game is an ambitious attempt to recreate the tension and drama of soccer's World Cup tournament in a board game. The game comes with two large playing boards and beautiful bits used to mark teams and play down "chits" which reflect goals, defense, and the like. The components are quite nice --with chits for every team in the 2002 and 1930 World Cup, playing cards (with goals, attack, defense, and penalties) of a good stock and in nice colors. The two boards are used to play out the tournament. The 1930 tournament only has 13 teams and therefore is the better choice when you have less time or fewer players. The 2002 tournament takes up 1.5 boards and has all 32 teams. A blast for a good-sized group of players (4 to 16 is recommended).
Game play is NOT a simulation of a soccer game. Instead it is a simultanious recreation of early rounds and then, later, the elimination rounds. The object is for each player to get her or his teams through to the finals by playing good cards on his own teams and bad card (penalties, etc.) on the opponents' teams. Of course a clever player may help another team beat a third team if it means knocking out a key opponent (like, say, Brazil in 2002). There is alot of tension and "screw your neighbor" elements, but play never gets too serious.

Soccer expertise is NOT needed. The "playoff" atmosphere is why non-soccer fans enjoy the game as much as serious football fanatics. It is simply a fun game. I happen to be a huge soccer fan, and I really enjoyed the game.

There is a player elimination element as many teams will not make the elimination rounds (playoffs), but it is fun to watch and see how things work out. The biggest luck factor occurs at the beginning of the game when players draw for their teams. The better teams have a significant advantage over the weaker teams --so if you're playing with kids you may want to assign them the better teams. I've played the 1930 version 10 times and have yet to draw one of the three top teams. Though I've won only once, the game keeps drawing me back for another crack at the cup. As for soccer haters, a good friend said at the start of the 2002 game, "I have to admit, this game simulates real soccer: Its just as boring!" By the end of the session, though, he was hooked and wanted to play it again.

My highest recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FezAZ wrote:
"I have to admit, this game simulates real soccer: Its just as boring!"

Ditch the friend! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:
FezAZ wrote:

Ditch the friend! shake

Are you kidding? In the USA, if I elminated soccer-haters from my list of potential friends, I'd be quite lonely. Go Fulham!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FezAZ wrote:

Is he a baseball fan? I love me some baseball, but I have no trouble admitting it's the most boring professional sport (NASCAR and Golf are NOT sports!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.