Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished a 2 player session of this game, and I have to say, it was tremendously good fun.

It has all the light-hearted joy of Risk, but none of the irritation of bad luck with cards, initial positioning and so on.

You can see from my collection I am no game neophyte. I've played it all, from the lightest Ameritrash to the heaviest euro.

And from my first play, I'm going to go out there and say this is a winner. It does exactly what I want a game like this to do. The rules are simple enough that you are playing the players rather than the game. Every decision is tight; the card-play mechanism works like a treat, the mercenaries are very well implemented, the city powers are interestingly balanced, and the units offer variety without too much complexity.

Overall, I think this is a winner. I'll wait for a couple more play-throughs before a final determination, but first impressions are really rather good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, Mark. My gripe so far is that the blue army's battering rams should've been missile weapons like the others. They seem out of place when compared to the others, especially when used for the bombard action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
Agreed, Mark. My gripe so far is that the blue army's battering rams should've been missile weapons like the others. They seem out of place when compared to the others, especially when used for the bombard action.

For the bombard, they are tossing the caber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb0FU8rSisU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
msgt pepe wrote:

For the bombard, they are tossing the caber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb0FU8rSisU

Aye, I watched it! Guess I'll have to outfit the blue fellows in kilts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They could have represented the blue with a Mangonel. Vikings used one in the siege of Paris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even a Scorpion would've worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:

Isn't green's weapon already a scorpion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
msgt pepe wrote:

... they are tossing the caber.

Sounds like something I would have looked up on urban dictionary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rosenberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, I totally agree. My son and I have played the 2-player version twice, and I think I like it even more than the 3 and 4-player ones. Deliciously difficult decisions driven by constrained resources: especially around control of the mercenaries.

In our games, the mercenaries actually had the largest armies that saw the most action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrose1 wrote:
Mark, I totally agree. My son and I have played the 2-player version twice, and I think I like it even more than the 3 and 4-player ones. Deliciously difficult decisions driven by constrained resources: especially around control of the mercenaries.

In our games, the mercenaries actually had the largest armies that saw the most action.

Yes. The mercenaries are a real spanner in the works... And can lead to some painful funding decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
msgt pepe wrote:

Isn't green's weapon already a scorpion?

Yes, but they could've made a different version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.