Subject: Replayability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new to LCGs, but would like to give this one a try. I know it's not out yet, so I guess I am asking more for speculation than firm answers, but for those who are familiar with this type of game, are they generally replayable? Once I have played through one scenario/adventure or campaign, have I spoiled all of the surprises? I'd like to have two or three campaigns of this going at a time – one solo campaign, and one or two two-player campaigns. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they are replayable. Assuming these scenarios are anything like the LotR lcg, the replay comes from playing different investigators and or different combos of investigators.

As the cardpool expands, going back to core set scenarios can test new deck ideas or provide a different experience for old scenarios. I have played the first two scenarios from the LotR core set many times.

edited because autocorrect hates me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They also said that when you play a campaign, there are decisions you have to make during it and will effect the end game. So if you played through it again and made different decisions, it would change the outcome of your final game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As said, there will (probably) be branching paths so you could play a given quest differently and arrive at a different resolution. Additionally, if it's anything like LotR there's a distinct different feel between taking a quest on blindly the first time and then again later - with the benefit of more specific deck building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone know how many quests will come with the core set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Heitz
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
canada_doug wrote:
Anyone know how many quests will come with the core set?

Three quests in the core set. That's what they told me at Gen Con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wish it was proper campaign game with several scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
canada_doug wrote:

Isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
canada_doug wrote:

They've said there's three linked scenarios that tell a campaign story with certain decisions or outcomes affecting how the next scenarios plays out while investigators gain experience and upgrade between games.

How us that NOT a "proper campaign"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
canada_doug wrote:

If this follows the LotR model, each cycle will have 9 scenarios. Three in the core/deluxe followed by six more in individual adventure packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You are all right, it is a campaign. I meant it would be great if there were more than 3 quests in the box so you could really get into it before buying a new one. Don't get me wrong, I'll be buying this for sure. Arkam Horror and LOTR LCG are my 2 favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
canada_doug wrote:

If this follows the LotR model, each cycle will have 9 scenarios. Three in the core/deluxe followed by six more in individual adventure packs.

Having not played LotR, will the 9 scenarios be interchangeable or linked or just 3 sets of adventures with 3 scenarios each?

Just curious what they've done to this point with regards to length of campaigns and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutrix wrote:
Having not played LotR, will the 9 scenarios be interchangeable or linked or just 3 sets of adventures with 3 scenarios each?

Just curious what they've done to this point with regards to length of campaigns and such.

They've never done a campaign system like this before, so we're a bit in uncharted waters.

LotR's cycles have a theme and often share a new mechanic and cards may share similar keywords, but each quest is completely standalone even if thematically connected. Except LotR Saga expansions, but they have a fairly limited campaign connection.

It's a good question about whether a deluxe expansion for Arkham Horror will introduce a new campaign with maybe 1-3 scenarios and then the 6 cycle packs will extend that campaign or whether a single cycle might have multiple campaigns divided among the packs.

My hope would be they are all part of one really long, engaging campaign! Imagine building your deck and having to use it with small modifications only for 9 scenarios! No more rebuilding decks for each scenario, just epic character development a few cards at a time.

I may have to buy every cycle pack at my LFGS rather than wait and order online so I don't have to wait a day longer than necessary for the next installment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
Gutrix wrote:

They've never done a campaign system like this before, so we're a bit in uncharted waters.

LotR's cycles have a theme and often share a new mechanic and cards may share similar keywords, but each quest is completely standalone even if thematically connected. Except LotR Saga expansions, but they have a fairly limited campaign connection.

It's a good question about whether a deluxe expansion for Arkham Horror will introduce a new campaign with maybe 1-3 scenarios and then the 6 cycle packs will extend that campaign or whether a single cycle might have multiple campaigns divided among the packs.

My hope would be they are all part of one really long, engaging campaign! Imagine building your deck and having to use it with small modifications only for 9 scenarios! No more rebuilding decks for each scenario, just epic character development a few cards at a time.

I may have to buy every cycle pack at my LFGS rather than wait and order online so I don't have to wait a day longer than necessary for the next installment.

I hadn't realized that campaigns as a concept will be completely new. That is pretty exciting as that's one of my big desires for the game.

Will be interesting to see how they execute it and I hope for the same thing... the ability to link everything together, as insane and problematic as I'm sure it'd be. I can see now why they kept hammering that they want to bridge the gap between LCG and RPG... good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another aspect that adds to the replayability is the difficulty settings. From the TeamCovenant video you can see that each scenario card is double sided with one side being the normal difficulty and the other being hard-mode.

Whether or not each scenario is limited to just those two or there's more is yet to be determined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the idea of an overarching campaign is not new at all.

It was an essential part of the Warhammer Quest card game, which this one at least partially takes mechanics from. It also appeared in a limited form in the LotR saga expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think the replayability is there as you experiment with the dynamic of different pairing of the investigators since the core set will provide you with 5 investigators (as based on what has been commented). Although I believe you will need to buy the expansions in order to get some fresh experience if scenario is concerned since the core sets only provide with 3 scenarios.

Correct me if I am wrong but to leverage on Arkham Horror LCG, my experience with LotR LCG seems to indicate that you must buy the expansions to leverage on the game. I see some people within my gaming community has been selling off their Core Set LotR LCG but I understand that by just playing the 3 scenarios again and again, it does not offer much novelty when the game is replayed. And if they don't buy expansions, then it limits the opportunity for deck building and deck experimentation.

If the game following something like LotR LCG, then players can actually choose specific scenario to encounter and not necessary having to get into campaign mode especially if you don't have a group of dedicated players who can meet often to play through the campaign.

Yet, I would encourage players to buy this game which you can bring it out for occasional play (interjecting with other games during the next gaming meet-up) but if you choose to play this game very frequently in a short span of time, the 3 scenario will limit your experience and may make the game grow stale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Detective Conan
msg tools
And that might also depends on the definition of "normal difficulty"...

I am one of those player (I do hope so that I am not the only one...) who keep playing LOTR solo, on "normal difficulty" even if I get beaten to a pulp 95% of the time.

At least, in a Lovecraftian game, those poor performance of mine will be more thematic !!! Everybody knows you are not suppose to win against Cthulhu and friends...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm also concerned with replayability. I already have LotR LCG and realized that it's a huge money sink - I have to buy more adventure packs/expansions to play more. I've spent about $200 and am asking myself what if I bought about 10-15 other board games instead. Would I have more replayability in all of those combined?

So, if ever, I'm just looking at Arkham Horror LCG as a one-shot purchase - core set only, no expansions. Would I get enough replayability from a $30 purchase or would it be better to just buy 2 other less expensive game that I've been wanting to buy but have been holding off?

If the answer is I have to buy more expansions/packs to squeeze more replayability out of AH LCG, I'm afraid I would be leaning towards buying some other games (Sushi Go Party and Archaeology TNE, games I specifically want to buy but can't afford right now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P. Santos,

Based on what you have said, you might be better off skipping this one. The game will have three scenarios at start. You can play those multiple times of course, with increased difficulty and different investigators, but you can only get so many games out of it before going stale. Eventually, you will have to buy expansions if you want to keep it fresh, and since that is what you do not want, I don't see this game being for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ppsantos wrote:
I'm also concerned with replayability. I already have LotR LCG and realized that it's a huge money sink - I have to buy more adventure packs/expansions to play more. I've spent about $200 and am asking myself what if I bought about 10-15 other board games instead. Would I have more replayability in all of those combined?

So, if ever, I'm just looking at Arkham Horror LCG as a one-shot purchase - core set only, no expansions. Would I get enough replayability from a $30 purchase or would it be better to just buy 2 other less expensive game that I've been wanting to buy but have been holding off?

If the answer is I have to buy more expansions/packs to squeeze more replayability out of AH LCG, I'm afraid I would be leaning towards buying some other games (Sushi Go Party and Archaeology TNE, games I specifically want to buy but can't afford right now).

As much as I would hate to turn anyone away from this game I'm inclined to agree with Gergely. The LCG Core Sets are really just meant to be the start of a game, and not a complete game in themselves. If one definitely isn't planning on continuing on for the ongoing campaign then I doubt it'll be worth it to just have the Core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to keep up, but even if I fall behind, I've played the same co-op games dozens of times without feeling like they've gone stale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question on replayability:

I know that there are different choices you can make during the game, such as which room to go in first (or possibly which to go in at all). Do we know yet if there will be situations where playing an adventure once will "spoil" the choices you should make the next time.

For instance, as an extreme example: "Aha, this is the point where we can choose to go to the Attic, the Cellar or the Kitchen. I know from the last time we played that the Attic is pointless; no items to get and just a bunch of monsters to knock down your health. The Cellar has exactly what we need to win this adventure, but we have to unlock a chest there with a key from the Kitchen. So, we know we must clearly avoid the Attic, go to the Kitchen, and then go to the Cellar."

To me, that is the kind of un-replayability that makes a game less interesting. I'm more concerned about that than I am potentially getting bored with the same cards coming up while waiting for the next expansion.

(By comparison, it is the difference between replaying a successfully completed story in TIME Stories vs. replaying a game of Dominion with the exact same setup. The Dominion may give me some card fatigue, but if the cards are coming out in a new order, I may get some enjoyment out of it. But the TIME Stories holds no interest for me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that we know of. I haven't heard of this sort of situation in LotR before and I'm not expecting the developers to do a worse job on this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.