$30.00
Reese Henderson
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Our nine year-old daughter (turns ten in October) loves Clue and, frankly, wins against her mother and me as often as she loses (and we're not slouches, mind you). It's gotten to the point that, if you haven't figured it out by your fourth turn (and sometimes your third), you are going to lose to her, period. She's that quick.

So I am looking for something that's a little more challenging than Clue. But all I can find are dungeon crawls and heavier mystery/challenge games like Arkham Horror that, frankly, are not the right theme for her and are way more game than we are looking for. We need something we can play in under an hour and that has an age-appropriate theme.

Anyone have any good recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alibi is a card game similar to clue, but you have to solve additional categories beyond suspect/weapon/room. Kudos to your daughter for her quick sleuthing skills!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery of the Abbey
Above and Below
Port Royal
Zooloretto
Karuba
Splendor
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
Raptor
Medieval Academy
Jaipur
The Big Book of Madness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Garlinghouse
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle of Magic
Shadows over Camelot
Merchant of Venus
Mysterium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reese Henderson
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Soleia wrote:
Alibi is a card game similar to clue, but you have to solve additional categories beyond suspect/weapon/room. Kudos to your daughter for her quick sleuthing skills!

Alibi looks like a winner. Thanks to all who responded!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sleuth is a classic Clue killer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of other good mystery games have been mentioned, but many of them differ significantly from the Clue paradigm. To me at least, the obvious choice if you're looking for one step up from Clue would be P.I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She might just like Tobago as well, though it is not exactely what you are asking for...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Cantwell

Central Point
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Mystery Of The Abbey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If she's thrilling on the deductive aspect of Clue, get some Looney Pyramids to play Black Ice, and maybe graduate to induction with Zendo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or to foil some crooks, perhaps Mystery Rummy: Escape from Alcatraz?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
If she's thrilling on the deductive aspect of Clue, get some Looney Pyramids to play Black Ice, and maybe graduate to induction with Zendo.

And if she's open to themeless pure induction like the excellent classic game Zendo, then also check out Eleusis, which only needs a couple packs of ordinary playing cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery Express

And I +1 Mysterium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tajemnicze Domostwo is the only way to go, unless you're set on a competitive game. It's co-operative. But in a really great way that you've got one person playing his/her game behind the player screen, and all the rest playing their "detective" game on the other side of the screen. I'm sure she'll dig it, since essentially, she's the one telling the story as the ghost, and she's tormented as she watches her parents try to figure it out on the other side.

I think you'd really like it, given you already have an affinity for Clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weekend Gamer wrote:
Soleia wrote:

Alibi looks like a winner. Thanks to all who responded!!

Happy to help! I really enjoyed playing this game in a casual setting with my family. All the categories should give your daughter something to chew on a bit longer than Clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
klopu lamar
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mysterium!she will love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For pure deduction, with no theme, I really like Code 777. It doesn't really feel like a game, but more like people sitting together at a table each solving their own puzzle (but the puzzles are connected).

A great next step up from clue is Mystery Express. You're solving for 5 things (suspect, weapon, location, motive, and time) and there are 2 of each card, so it's a bit trickier to rule them out (the person who wins the game is the one who gets the most right by the time the train reaches its destination... in games I've played, it's uncommon for someone to have all 5 right). It's been out of print for a few years, but you can keep an eye out for fairly priced used copies here or on eBay. I got lucky and found one on clearance at a local game store for $20.

If you have a 4th player, I'd recommend Witness. It requires exactly 4 players, and is a cooperative game where everyone works together to solve a mystery (the game comes with 64 of them, in various difficulty levels). If you've ever played the telephone game as a kid, this is basically how the game works. Each player has their own booklet which contains a little bit of information for solving the case. Imagine four players, A, B, C, D sitting clockwise around a table. In the first round, A whispers to B what he knows (from his booklet), and C whispers to D what he knows (from his booklet). In the second round, B whispers to C what he knows (which includes his booklet, but also what A told him last round), and D whispers to A what he knows (which includes his booklet, but also what C told him last round). In the 3rd round, it's back to A passing info to B and C to D, but now A has information from C and D to share with B (and C has information from A and B to tell D)... You can see how it can be a bit tricky to keep track of everything, and, just like in the telephone game, the messages may degrade as they move around the table. Very fun game, if you can get a 4th player.

Like others, I'd also recommend Mysterium. One person plays as a ghost, and passes dream cards to the other players, in an attempt to guide them toward the correct suspect/location/weapon (each non-ghost player has their own combination of suspect/location/weapon to solve for). It's a cooperative game, so you'll either win or lose together (unlike Clue), plays fine with 3, and gets more fun with more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleuth is a classic, but Mystery of the Abbey may be a bit closer thematically. Agree with many options above though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with cluedo super sleuth much deeper game than normal cluedo and like some modern board games you build the house as you go along, so nicely introduces that mechanic. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not part of the theme of mystery but for an age-appropriate game with your time constraints that keeps the whole challenge of strategic deduction is Love Letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scotland Yard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watson & Holmes. Combines the "moving around, collecting clues and taking notes" aspect of Clue with an actual, propped mystery to solve. Without it being all namby-pamby co-operative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleuth is the answer you are looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bouchbre wrote:

Agreed. Scotland Yard is what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.