Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am looking for a fun solitaire game that will keep me wanting to play more, and ASL caught my attention.

I know little about it except it looks like Ambush, which I have played before. Can someone compare this with ambush?

Also, I see that a newer "Starter Kit #1" was released. How does this compare to the original 1980s version? It seems so cheap ($20 on cool stuff). Is there a of gameplay in the starter kit?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL isn't a solitaire game, so it's not really like Ambush at all. There is a solitaire module for ASL (not starter kit), but that's it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who play it solitaire by playing both sides, like with most wargames. However, ASL/ASLSK is not the best system for this, since there are lots of reactions (firing during the opponent's movement), which makes it harder to play one side at a time. There's no hidden information though, so it's not too bad (in full ASL you can have hidden units). But you will be missing the really good, competitive, down-to-the-wire experience ASL can often be when playing against someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me tell you something about the starter kits. There are 3 starter kits. The first one is just infantry, the second introduces guns (cannons), the third introduces vehicles (tanks). Starter kits strip away a lot of the details from full ASL, while preserving the essentials (SK#1 is only 8 pages of rules, but still teach you a lot about how ASL works). They are good games in their own right, but also a good stepping stone to full ASL. An example of the kind of thing which is stripped away in the starter kits is bypass, a rule which lets you move in the open terrain outside buildings/woods, when moving through a hex. It's a kind of detail which most squad level games does not bother with, so starter kit is basically the essentials of ASL, but stripped down to the same amount of detail as other systems like Lock'n Load and Band of Brothers. Once you know the starter kits, it is easy to add all those details in full ASL, because they do not change the structure of the game. And even if you don't want to move on to full ASL, starter kits give you an amazing value for money. I have only played the first 2 scenarios in SK#1 (because I have moved on to full ASL), and they are good scenarios, which can be played many times. I expect scenario 3-6 to be equally good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buehler
United States
Hillsdale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
So I am looking for a fun solitaire game that will keep me wanting to play more, and ASL caught my attention.

I know little about it except it looks like Ambush, which I have played before. Can someone compare this with ambush?

Also, I see that a newer "Starter Kit #1" was released. How does this compare to the original 1980s version? It seems so cheap ($20 on cool stuff). Is there a of gameplay in the starter kit?

Thanks!

Peter Kossits has been working on a solo bot for ASL:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1546763/solitaire-asl-bo...

I suggest you give it a look if you really want to play ASL solo and do not own the Solitaire module.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrisBuehler wrote:
Peter Kossits has been working on a solo bot for ASL:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1546763/solitaire-asl-bo...

I suggest you give it a look if you really want to play ASL solo and do not own the Solitaire module.

I will 2nd that!

I found it enjoyable and Peter is still supporting his solo bot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Nick Dotzenrod wrote:

The biggest difference between Ambush and ASL – other than ASL not being designed for solitaire play – is that ASL has much more replayability... even if you just play it solitaire. You can play an ASL scenario a dozen times and get a different game experience each time.

Also, the scale is slightly different as the basic unit in ASL is a squad of about 10 soldiers.

Nick Dotzenrod wrote:
Also, I see that a newer "Starter Kit #1" was released. How does this compare to the original 1980s version?

The two versions are identical except that the newer 10th Anniversary edition has a much improved rulebook incorporating all known errata, and thus is the one to get. However, if you can find a dirt-cheap 1st edition, it will work OK, as there are many threads here on BGG that will answer any questions you might have about the rules.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread Nick's question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Boutilier
United States
Smyrna Mills
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter's Solo bot system is excellent. I play much more ASLSK now than i ever did thanks to Peter's solo bot. It's worth looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
Nick Dotzenrod wrote:
Also, I see that a newer "Starter Kit #1" was released. How does this compare to the original 1980s version?

The two versions are identical except that the newer 10th Anniversary edition has a much improved rulebook incorporating all known errata, and thus is the one to get. However, if you can find a dirt-cheap 1st edition, it will work OK, as there are many threads here on BGG that will answer any questions you might have about the rules.

If he's talking about a 1980s version, he must be talking about ASL, not starter kit. The difference between ASL and ASL starter kit is big. Although ASLSK is a surprisingly good introduction to ASL, when you think about how short the rulebook is (especially ASLSK #1). Moving from ASLSK #1 to some of the simpler infantry scenarios (like Guards Counterattack) in full ASL is really easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play all my games solitaire (face to face too). In fact, I find playing both sides (or all sides) solitaire much easier and more fun than running through AI flow charts in made-for-solitaire games. This includes ASL and even card-driven games. I just play each side as best as I can from its perspective, and also "compartmentalize" my thinking a bit to "eliminate" knowledge of the other side's hidden cards, secret plans, etc. That last bit can't be perfect but it can work. Also, I always win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeWhit wrote:
Also, I always win!

Yes, that's definitively an argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blitzbuff wrote:
MikeWhit wrote:
Also, I always win!

Yes, that's definitively an argument.
You also always lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Marshall
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hbmaine wrote:
Peter's Solo bot system is excellent. I play much more ASLSK now than i ever did thanks to Peter's solo bot. It's worth looking at.

And unfortunately, Peter's system has refined Herb's play against live opponents to nearly flawless.

Trust me on this. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to hear more about that (but this might not be the right thread for it).

To reply to the original question. I think that ASL Starter Kits might be a little frustrating to get into if you're intending to only play it solo. It's doable though. I would play a bunch of learning games with others first to avoid ingraining mistakes in your play. Playing by email is a great way to do that if you don't have anyone around who already knows how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Marshall
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
I would love to hear more about that (but this might not be the right thread for it).

To reply to the original question. I think that ASL Starter Kits might be a little frustrating to get into if you're intending to only play it solo. It's doable though. I would play a bunch of learning games with others first to avoid ingraining mistakes in your play. Playing by email is a great way to do that if you don't have anyone around who already knows how to play.

That's a valid point, Peter. I learned ASLSK 1 on my own - which wasn't terribly difficult at all.

But it only took a few learning games playing solo for me to start questioning if I was interpreting the rules correctly, and then applying the rules into reasonable tactics. Those were two entirely different learning curves for me.

And that's the point where both face to face and PBEM live opponents really hauled me up over the learning curve (if it ever really ends. I think there are things to be learned with ASL every time you sit down at the board). I suspect guys with a better tactical eye in reading ASL boards and situations than I have can see it for themselves, but I found the help of my opponents invaluable starting out (and still do, for that matter).

After that, ASLSK solo is terrific...although there is still something about going against a live opponent that brings out pretty sweet nuances of the game's design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:

Jay Richardson's tutorials are also great:

Jay Richardsons ASL Starter Kit tutorials properly typeset for printing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have always wanted to get into ASL so the starter kits seemed a perfect way to do that. However it has always been difficult to find them for sale in the UK. However today I managed to get a copy of the 10th anniversary edition from my favourite supplier, and at a normal price!! Have just bought the first one for now.

I enjoy LnL and CoH but this one, while not as pretty as the others, is the benchmark. I'm hoping that if I can understand the rules, it will eventually make me a better player in my other tactical games as well. The good news is is that there seems to be plenty of resources (like Jay's tutorial) to help me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Boutilier
United States
Smyrna Mills
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew, I really love ASL SK #1. I would be more than happy to help you along and learn the rules!!!!!! I have played several SK1 PBEM games. Herb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be great Herb. Will get that going once I have got the game and had a foray into it on my own. Won't be neglecting LnL though. Plenty more scenarios of HoN for you and I to work through yet. Which reminds me. I need to get a turn back to you!!

hbmaine wrote:
Andrew, I really love ASL SK #1. I would be more than happy to help you along and learn the rules!!!!!! I have played several SK1 PBEM games. Herb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aloha Andrew - as Herb said - I would also be more than happy to play/help pbem w/ you, or anyone else, as well.

I played the SK and full rules - but it has been awhile, so looking to start the journey again w/ SK1 > Sk2 > Sk3 > full rules at a leisurely pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy stearman
Australia
dudley
nsw
flag msg tools
mbmb
old blue , id be keen to start working through the starter kits PBEM
if you are up for a game
I played SK1 a few years ago, so most of it should still be locked away
in the memory banks but it may take a while to get back up to speed
I have SK2 and a the full rules as well

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy arrived a couple of days ago so have punched the counters and have started learning the rules. Following a tutorial that I got here on BGG so once I've got the basics sorted I'm sure I'll be looking for help with some pbem games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ozpom wrote:
old blue , id be keen to start working through the starter kits PBEM
if you are up for a game
I played SK1 a few years ago, so most of it should still be locked away
in the memory banks but it may take a while to get back up to speed
I have SK2 and a the full rules as well

Andy

I replied to your GM - I'm in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
My copy arrived a couple of days ago so have punched the counters and have started learning the rules. Following a tutorial that I got here on BGG so once I've got the basics sorted I'm sure I'll be looking for help with some pbem games

Give me a holler when ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.