Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In case WizKids is listening, and for the general audience, I wanted to put forward an idea for future expansions.

In essence, it might be possible to evolve Star Trek: Frontiers into TWO games--one using the current mechanic, and another conversion to adventure mode. That way, the owner can get two games out of one system.

In the adventure mode, the board would be laid out in a specific scenario. We might develop "Adventure Counters" that go on the board face-down and, when encountered, present the player with tasks and missions. Likewise, it might be feasible to develop an app for the game in which scenarios and planet-specific adventures are offered. Similarly, we might come up with a card deck that offers challenges, resources, rewards, mysteries to solve, on-board drama/events, the outbreak of war, and so on.

The adventure mode would be less about scoring points and more about accomplishing the scenario objective. To play the adventure mode, the player has to be able to transition from the clinical puzzle-solving of the current system into a more swashbuckling, Ameri-trash (I hate that term) mode.

The Star Trek universe offers seasons and seasons of adventure ideas, and I think one common thought among us Trekkers is that the current system lacks an exciting storyline. But it would be relatively easy to adapt the system to official and fan-based adventures.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
msg tools
mbmbmb
Cool idea and always open to more features! Especially mission style cards similar to Star Trek Panic. And app functionality would be neat too, with the music as background and the immersion/variety that offers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that not only is this doable, but it could make the game even better than it already is. It would even be cool to start off the game with some thematic allies aboard your ship. Something like a small, quicker, scenario that also would also have a few pre-built cards added to your deck. The mission would be to do x,y, and z on the pre-assembled map before time runs out. And after each objective is met, you get to make a draw from then most powerful card deck.

One of the things for me that made Mage Knight a chore was having to start over from scratch every time you play. I was always like "oh joy I have to do all that leveling again?". Something like the above could afford a break from that apparent monotony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These are great ideas. Once you set aside the strict mechanical approach to the game system, the door is wide open to a lot of fun options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.