Evolution: The Beginning» Forums » General

Subject: Great game but one question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I know that this just came out and were enjoying it a lot because it's a little more simple and streamlined so my fiancée and her nephew can play with me (the fact that sweet spot is 2-3 players makes this awesome BTW) but I wonder if there are any plans to eventually add some new cards via an expansion to this version. Not really any new mechanics just some newer cards eventually. Again this is a really fun and easy game to learn and teach and were enjoying it a lot as is. Great work Dominick and North Star Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the expansion to Evolution: The Beginning is just the full game of Evolution. No offense, but I think of Evolution: The Beginning as nothing more than a prequel to the base game of Evolution...

-M_R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Okay yeah I was just asking that's all. I'm actually thinking about grabbing the base game and probably flight since I enjoy the game and the system so far. Thanks for the response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shelton
msg tools
Just wanted to drop in and say my gaming group is exactly the same, except the nephew is mine lol. How old is the nephew? Mine's 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight_reaper wrote:
I think the expansion to Evolution: The Beginning is just the full game of Evolution. No offense, but I think of Evolution: The Beginning as nothing more than a prequel to the base game of Evolution...

-M_R

I disagree! I think Beginning is different enough that many people will be happy to play just that game for quite some time. And even when they're ready to move on, a card expansion (maybe adding a few rules, even) would be more than enough for them, vs. moving on to the bigger and more complicated games/expansions. This was, after all, designed for the mass market (although in many ways I prefer it over the original).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
czs716 wrote:
Just wanted to drop in and say my gaming group is exactly the same, except the nephew is mine lol. How old is the nephew? Mine's 15.

Mines 11 but he's a very smart 11 so he even plays some of my medium weight games with me as well and can do very well and follow the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
midnight_reaper wrote:

-M_R

I disagree! I think Beginning is different enough that many people will be happy to play just that game for quite some time. And even when they're ready to move on, a card expansion (maybe adding a few rules, even) would be more than enough for them, vs. moving on to the bigger and more complicated games/expansions. This was, after all, designed for the mass market (although in many ways I prefer it over the original).

I guess we'll have to see what the future holds...

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Beginning was not designed for the mass market. It was designed for gamers. It's of a weight and depth similar to 7 Wonders and Pandemic. These are games that the mass market is willing to play on occasion with their gamer friends, and ones that heavy gamers play as fillers. Sometimes a mass market family will latch onto this weight of game and then they will play it over and over and over and over.

The Beginning is also one of the best Evolution themed game for 2-players. I'm really enjoying it as a 40 minute 2-player game during lunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the original question: there are no plans currently for an expansion to the Beginning. But who knows what the future will bring!
(certainly not I)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Williams
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
The Beginning was not designed for the mass market. It was designed for gamers. It's of a weight and depth similar to 7 Wonders and Pandemic. These are games that the mass market is willing to play on occasion with their gamer friends, and ones that heavy gamers play as fillers. Sometimes a mass market family will latch onto this weight of game and then they will play it over and over and over and over.

My first two plays were with my regular gaming group. We played because I wanted to try a new game, but we were too tired to learn new complex rules. We loved it. Great weight, clear depth and a really fun theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:

The Beginning is also one of the best Evolution themed game for 2-players. I'm really enjoying it as a 40 minute 2-player game during lunch.

Thanks for the correction! I guess I made an (incorrect) assumption based on its presence in Target. Good job -- it works !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
domcrap wrote:

Thanks for the correction! I guess I made an (incorrect) assumption based on its presence in Target. Good job -- it works !

No problem. I think the confusing part is that Target is increasingly targeting gamers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Currie
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Look, honey, he thinks there's honey in there!
badge
We can't all be Zheleznogorsk.
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
snoozefest wrote:
domcrap wrote:

No problem. I think the confusing part is that Target is increasingly targeting gamers!

Say what you will about Target (though, aside from Credit Card data, it's usually pretty positive), but they're on-point when it comes to toys and games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the box it is written, "The Beginning is a stand alone game that is not compatible with other games in the Evolution product line." When you open the game there is a little envelope with some teaser cards for standard Evolution game and a offer to buy the other game if you want more complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
botanybob wrote:
On the box it is written, "The Beginning is a stand alone game that is not compatible with other games in the Evolution product line." When you open the game there is a little envelope with some teaser cards for standard Evolution game and a offer to buy the other game if you want more complexity.

Understood but I wasn't asking for added complexity I was just asking for more variety. This game is only slightly different really but I like the way this one plays better so I was just asking if might get more cards to add variety not complexity. I also understand it says it's a standalone and that's fine but you can still add to a standalone game no? They could eventually take some of the traits or ideas from the regular game and tweak them to work with this game. It was all just a question anyway because I enjoy this version only the game so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.