Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are other games out there that are similar to ambush in terms of being an engaging solitaire war game?

It does not have to be a near replica like Battle Hymn, just similar in terms it is designed for solitaire play and has a war theme (though other suggestions are welcome).

Basically, I am looking for a solitaire game to play, and I already own ambush, but am wondering if there is something even better out there.

I have dozens of co op games (mage knight, pandemic, gears of war, zombicide, eldritch horror, lotr card game etc.) but none of these I feel would want me to play more than one game as they lack a campaign system that ambush offers.

I used to own B17: Queen of the Skies which used a campaign system too and was a lot of fun, but unfortunately, it was all just dice rolling essentially.

Anyway, I am interested in what others have to say.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

These come highly recommended, though I haven't played them yet myself.

Raid on St. Nazaire

and

Operation Jubilee: Dieppe, August 1942

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebb Carrier
United States
Georgetown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did not know Operation Jubilee was by Butterfield. I'll have to track that down.

I would definitely suggest anything designed by John Butterfield. I really enjoy his D-Day series.

Also, perhaps Fields of Fire? I've not played it, as I'm waiting for the reprint (on P500 now), but it looks like it should definitely apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also recommend the Butterfield D-day series. Haven't played Omaha Beach or Tarawa, but love D-day at Omaha Beach and D-day at Peleliu.

Can also recommend RAF: Battle of Britain 1940, and Silent Victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Sanders
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree with Jebb; I've D-Day at Omaha Beach and it is simply fantastic.

As well as DDAOB and Ambush I also own RAF and Enemy Action: Ardennes, again both by Mr Butterfield. Spot the trend here..... As far as I'm concerned anything with his name on it is a guarantee of quality!

If I were you I would buy all three. Go on, treat yourself, it'll be Christmas soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle for the Galactic Empire is Joseph Miranda designed solo wargame. Excellent.
Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora is excellent solo Sci fi exploration. Combat of course but not specifically a wargame. Also Butterfield design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone play conflict of heroes with solo expansion?

I know you can play solo without it, but curious specifically how the solo expansion was.

Also, Dday intrigued me. I think that is my most interested war scenario, but it look very complicated and scared me :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
Anyone play conflict of heroes with solo expansion?
Getting it onto the table now (with solo expansion) in preparation for a solo-focused video discussion and review. Will post that link here when the video is up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few off the top of my head also these games vary in gameplay...

Peloponnesian War
Mosby's Raiders
Open Fire
Phantom Leader Deluxe
Phantom Fury
Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid
Iwo: Bloodbath in the Bonins 19 Feb – 17 Mar 1945
Carrier
Ranger

haven't tried these yet but have high reviews...
Conflict of Heroes Series
D-Day Series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

These come highly recommended, though I haven't played them yet myself.

Raid on St. Nazaire

I've played this quite a few times and it's a good solo wargame of broadly the same era that has stood the test of time. The rules are solid, once you understand them.

It doesn't have different scenarios or a campaign elements, but has replayability - although you'll probably want to leave gaps between plays. I play it a couple of times a year.

Another solitaire wargame that is good and probably has more variety and replayability is Thunderbolt Apache Leader. This does have different campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't Tread On Me: The American Revolution Solitaire Board Game
Zulus on the Ramparts!
The Barbarossa Campaign
Field Commander: Alexander
Field Commander: Rommel
Field Commander: Napoleon
Solitaire Caesar
Green Berets: Vietnam
Fallujah, 2004: City Fighting in Iraq
Khe Sanh '68
Border War: Angola Raiders
Merrill's Marauders: Commandos in Burma 1943-1944
Long Range Desert Group: Special Operations Against Rommel 1941-1942
Red Beach One: Tarawa
Suez '56: Anglo French Intervention in Egypt
Dien Bien Phu
Crete 1941

and on and on and on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auyard wrote:
Also, perhaps Fields of Fire? I've not played it, as I'm waiting for the reprint ...

I'll second this suggestion strongly. A super game, similar vibe to Ambush! - coaxing your company thru a seven (or so) mission tour, WWII/Korea/Vietnam.

Be advised that the rules are not for the faint of heart. This is not entirely due to complexity, tho it is more complex than Ambush, rather it is quite unlike any other simulation you may have played. But, fear not; there is lots of support stuff here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raid on St. nazaire is a Great solitaire Experience and don't forget about
Enemy Action: Ardennes
Edit:it has a German solitaire, an American and a superb 2p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaz Man
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to look at this

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/511466/best-solo-wargame

Some of them are not true solo games but play well solo

I would go with the theme

Might want to look at

Pattons best
Raf
D day at Omaha beach.
Witd. Where there is discord
Thunderbolt Apache leader
The hunters
Tokyo express
Fire in the lake. Can be played solo but COin game
Enemy action Ardennes

Ps I own and play all of these above

One I would like

Downtown. - has solo rules
And maybe code word Cromwell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohter solitaires are:
The 3W First Team: Vietnam on the Ia Drang Valley campaign of October 1965.
The TSR Iwo Jima: Valor of Arms, 19 Feb. – 25 March 1945 a quite long game to play, but nice.
The Decision Games Saipan, that uses the same system of Red Beach One: Tarawa.
And the French game Operation Apocalypse, always on the Ia Drang Valley campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we are just talking solitaire wargame designs now (not necessarily paragraph driven), The Fall of Rome from 1973 was perhaps the first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd R
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer6 wrote:

This thread is going to get expensive! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which of all these suggestions are not too meaty?

Like Ambush would be my limit. I'd rather prefer avoiding a 40 page rulebook if possible.

I would play Ambush today if I remembered all the rules. Just dont want to study the rulebook again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
Which of all these suggestions are not too meaty?

Like Ambush would be my limit. I'd rather prefer avoiding a 40 page rulebook if possible.

I would play Ambush today if I remembered all the rules. Just dont want to study the rulebook again.

Since they were published in magazines First Team: Vietnam, Iwo Jima: Valor of Arms, 19 Feb. – 25 March 1945, Saipan and Red Beach One: Tarawa have all about 16 pages of rules book.
Even Operation Apocalypse has about the same length of rules, but it is in French.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
The Great Silicon Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play a game that is very similar to Ambush, you'll want to check out Nuts! Final Version

Although the rules are for miniatures you can play the game with anything even the bits from Ambush! Nuts! plays just like Ambush!, solo man to man combat in WWII. You lead a squad of men and at any time enemies, friendlies, civilians can pop up or it can be "just nerves." If they are enemies, they can be an enemy squad, MG, snipers, Germans in a defensive position, an enemy vehicle, etc. There's also a campaign system.

There's even RPG light rules, like looting bodies, going on leave, getting into fights, meeting women, gambling and getting busted by the MPs. Most of this is covered in the latest Nuts! supplement, "Italy After Normandy". Included in this supplement are scenarios that have similar Ambush! like encounters, retrieving a pilot from a downed plane, questioning civilians, guard dogs, search lights, derailed train, barges, swimming, partisans, artillery barrages, etc.

Unlike Ambush!, Nuts is infinitely replayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Pinios
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd take a look at Raid on St. Nazaire it has similar flavor to Ambush!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.