Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Rios
United States
California
flag msg tools
Just got the game!

I did have trouble with Master of Martial Arts Daredevil (Rare) ability:

"Avenger: Discard the top 2 cards of your deck. If they have different costs, you get +2 attack then repeat the process."

My question is, do you continue the process even if the cards did not have different costs or do you stop? I get the feeling this card's rarity wants you to basically go through your deck in its entirety, potentially gaining a lot of attack points. Since you'll end up shuffling your discard pile for a new draw deck anyway, it's not that big of a deal.

I can understand maybe why some think you only continue the process if the 2 discarded are different. What do you all think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack delavert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nimstradamus wrote:
Just got the game!

"Avenger: Discard the top 2 cards of your deck. If they have different costs, you get +2 attack then repeat the process."

My question is, do you continue the process even if the cards did not have different costs or do you stop? I get the feeling this card's rarity wants you to basically go through your deck in its entirety, potentially gaining a lot of attack points. Since you'll end up shuffling your discard pile for a new draw deck anyway, it's not that big of a deal.

I can understand maybe why some think you only continue the process if the 2 discarded are different. What do you all think?

There is a comma after +2 attack. So I read that you discard the top two cards from your deck twice only, gaining +2 each time the cost were diferent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The comma is after "if the are different costs" so you only continue if they are different and gain the bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read this as you keep going, +2 hit and discarding 2 more cards, until you get two with the same cost on a discard. So...

A) Discard two cards. They are both 4 cost. Stop. You get nothing.

B) Discard two cards. They are a 3 and 4 cost. You get +2 hit and discard two more cards. They are a 0 and a 4. You get +2 more hit and discard two more cards. They are a 0 and a 0. You stop and you got +4 hit total out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nimstradamus wrote:
"If they have different costs, you get +2 attack then repeat the process."

It's a classic "If/Then" statement. *If* they're different, *THEN* you get the bonus and a repeat.

**edit: spelling**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Bratty wrote:
I read this as you keep going, +2 hit and discarding 2 more cards, until you get two with the same cost on a discard. So...

And if you don't have any 2 cards with the same cost?

If presumably I only have 2 card left in my deck (I've drawn\played everything) and they have a cost of 1 and 2, I gain infinite attack?!?

Sounds odd to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Bratty wrote:

And if you don't have any 2 cards with the same cost?

If presumably I only have 2 card left in my deck (I've drawn\played everything) and they have a cost of 1 and 2, I gain infinite attack?!?

Sounds odd to me.

On the very rare chance that happens, yep. Infinite attack. It's not the first card in the game that could potentially be an infinite loop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Syx
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Personally I'd disagree - if you couldn't draw any more cards, then it would stop there. You can't draw any more cards to get different values for additional +2, so you wouldn't gain infinite attack.
If you can't fulfil the condition, you don't get the benefits of having done so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynther Knight
msg tools
nimstradamus wrote:
Just got the game!

Just a clarification on the shuffling your deck part, the rulebook says "If you don’t have any cards left in your deck and you still need to draw more cards, shuffle your discard pile to form a new deck. Then draw the rest of the cards you need." The card states Discard the top 2 cards of your deck. So, basically, you are not drawing from the deck but discarding, so the potential for unlimited attack points is nil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely disagree with that interpretation. You always shuffle if you have a discard and no deck and need to interact with your deck. It isn't just for drawing. Just like if you fight one of the cards with Feast which is KO the top card of your deck. If you have no deck, you shuffle the discard then KO the top of the deck. You don't get to dodge the effect just because you need to shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Devin Low, the game's designer, clarified in this post:
www.boardgamegeek.com/article/14669026#14669026 on when to reshuffle your deck. Bratty is correct in her interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynther Knight
msg tools
I stand corrected. Then there is a possibility for an unlimited attack. If one is able to dwindle down his deck through KO effects and have at least a minimum 2 cards on the draw stack that has two different cost (and an empty discard pile), that player could end the game in his turn, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack delavert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wynther Knight wrote:
I stand corrected. Then there is a possibility for an unlimited attack. If one is able to dwindle down his deck through KO effects and have at least a minimum 2 cards on the draw stack that has two different cost (and an empty discard pile), that player could end the game in his turn, correct?

Still of the opinion that the comma after the +2 /// on the card (not reproduced in the posts above) means you only discard 2 cards twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And then repeat this process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what Jack is saying is that normally when you ask someone to "repeat" something, they do it once more and then stop, they don't keep doing it forever.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

But I agree with most people's interpretation that in this game, the "repeat" is also included in the repeatable set of instructions. You keep doing it over and over again until the condition is no longer met.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my! I played a game today and his rare card came up, I went through the entire draw deck (8 pairs of cards, each pair had different costs), which totaled +8 attack. I could have shuffled the discard and possibly had more different cost pairs, but decided to stop. This card is powerful, if this is the correct way to play. Not complaining! There are other rare cards, i.e., Iron Fist, that specifies to continue drawing cards "UNTIL" you encounter two cards with the same cost.... Also very powerful. Because Daredevil's rare does not have "until" I assume you continue the process. My two cents!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.