Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the late 70's and early 80's, there wasn't much in the way of kid's entertainment to be had. Before the Atari 2600, dexterity games were a staple in a young boy's entertainment diet.

Ideal made quite a few of them, the other one I'm familiar with is Rebound. Junk Yard is a simple plastic pinball game, using rubberbands to supply the force to power a tiny bit of Pinball Heaven to many entertainment-starved youths.

I was such a youth (as were many others I've seen on BGG in Geeklist comments and forum articles/replies), and wiled away many hours practicing the elegant roll, bounce, and trajectory of the silver ball included with Junk Yard. At first, I was content to develop my skills over practice, eventually completing my first perfect game. Then, as I advanced in plastic-table pinball skill, I could complete many complete boards in my allotment of 3 balls per game.

I believe the rules may have suggested 3 balls, or maybe 5 balls, but you would lose a ball if it went down the center drain, or if you hit the "Keep Out" drop targets on either side of the center of the board. It was difficult to shoot for the center 500 point targets, while simultaneously avoiding the Keep Out targets on either side, AND the center drain hole, which was notorious for collecting balls that were shot at the center targets.

Other targets included a tincan, and tire, and other junkyard flotsam, ranging from 100 point targets on the outside, then 200, then 300, to those tempting-but-oh-so-dangerous 500 points on the inside. There was also a side-out on each top-side that would collect a pinball (I just played it as a timeout, and nudged the ball back in play when ready).

I am considering purchasing this old game (and hoping it doesn't fall prey to the bane of Junk Yard : broken back-stand pegs that keep it elevated), even though I know its gameplay would likely be eclipsed by a kids pinball game nowadays. It is odd to note that I don't know of a kids pinball game (and I've tried out quite a few over the years) that had as good of feel, with depth of field and flipper control (aim practice). It seems all the cheapo contemporary kids pinball games I've tried have been too shallow, and didn't have a good roll feel.

So thank you to the makers of Junk Yard, for adding a bit of pinball enjoyment to many kids lives back in the day. As I think back on my time with this game, I'd have to say that whatever pinball skills I possess, probably are a direct result of this little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pieters
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree! I tried to add this game to the database about 2 years ago.

I spent hours playing it as a kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shanahan
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...memory.

I've always been a nut for pinball, and when my dad got me a Junkyard and I could play to my heart's content up in my room, I was the happiest kid on the planet. It was so simple, but perfect in its simplicity.

Big smile on my face now, remembering this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.