25 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo player startup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mokey D Luffy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I may have made my first game of this much harder than it needed to be. When I read that you start the game"without the extra production of resources described for the standard game", I immediately reset all of my production to 0. Having struggles through that game, and then looked through the non-beginner corporations, now I think I may have done it incorrectly.

I now think that you start with a production of 0, but that if you use the better corporations, you do not get to increase your production. I think that you still get to use their abilities, and take any extra starting resources that are listed on the card.

Does this sound correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Mokey D Luffy wrote:
I think I may have made my first game of this much harder than it needed to be. When I read that you start the game"without the extra production of resources described for the standard game", I immediately reset all of my production to 0. Having struggles through that game, and then looked through the non-beginner corporations, now I think I may have done it incorrectly.

I now think that you start with a production of 0, but that if you use the better corporations, you do not get to increase your production. I think that you still get to use their abilities, and take any extra starting resources that are listed on the card.

Does this sound correct?

Starting without extra production is an included feature of playing Corporate Era as opposed to playing the standard game (without CE). All corporation effects, tags, resources and production are still valid in the solo game.
You can use a beginner corporation for solo, and it is actually not worse than the normal unique corporations, just simpler. And less fun.

So yes, you got it right now.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mokey D Luffy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so there isn't technically a solo variant for the beginner setup listed in the manual. I think I get that now. I might try to play a solo version of what would be considered Beginner one more time just to make sure I get it down. I guess it would make sense to put my production at 1 and take a boring beginner corporation, and then leave out all of the Corporate Era cards. Then, after I play that one more time just to make sure I have the basics down, I'll move on to the "correct" version.

Thanks for the quick response. My first impression, even with my struggles to get anything going, was pretty good. I would like to try and puzzle out a victory in solo play, and look forward to getting this to the table with other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use a beginner corporation, you would still start at 0 production, but with 10 free cards and cash that you don't have to spend on buying cards. That's the trade-off for the beginner corporations.
Of course, you can house-rule the game however you like, it's your game now.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mokey D Luffy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe in house rules. I generally put faith in the designer, and play testers, and do my best to follow the rules. I also generally do my homework to make sure that a game will be good before I purchase it. This was a rare breaking of that rule because it sounded interesting, was kind of in my style of play, and didn't have much information out there.

Okay. One more solo game at Beginner, with my production at zero, and then I move on to bigger and better things. Sounds good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao C L Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:
If you use a beginner corporation, you would still start at 0 production, but with 10 free cards and cash that you don't have to spend on buying cards. That's the trade-off for the beginner corporations.
Of course, you can house-rule the game however you like, it's your game now.

Cheers!

Solo or Multiplayer if you start a game with corporation (lets say Inventrix) you don't draw the initial 10 cards to select at the cost of 3M€?

You only start with 45M€ and your 1st action is draw 3 cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jhonyb wrote:
Solo or Multiplayer if you start a game with corporation (lets say Inventrix) you don't draw the initial 10 cards to select at the cost of 3M€?

No, Inventrix' ability, like all other corporations' special quirks, is in addition to the regular 10-card-opening-hand stuff.

Inventrix just starts out with drawing an additional (and free!) 3 cards as their 1st action (just like Tharsis starts with a free city placement as their first action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao C L Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snapshot wrote:
Jhonyb wrote:

No, Inventrix' ability, like all other corporations' special quirks, is in addition to the regular 10-card-opening-hand stuff.

Inventrix just starts out with drawing an additional (and free!) 3 cards as their 1st action (just like Tharsis starts with a free city placement as their first action).

That "FREE" part is important ehhe
So playing Standard or Corporate Era the 1st turn is always 2 Corporation (pick 1) and 10 project cards (pick any for 3M€) ?

ty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhonyb wrote:
Snapshot wrote:
Jhonyb wrote:

So playing Standard or Corporate Era the 1st turn is always 2 Corporation (pick 1) and 10 project cards (pick any for 3M€) ?

ty

Yes. And starting production is 0 with Corporate Era Cards, 1 without.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao C L Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
Jhonyb wrote:
Snapshot wrote:
Jhonyb wrote:

ty

Yes. And starting production is 0 with Corporate Era Cards, 1 without.

ty vmlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh I just realised that the title of the solo player paragraph is "solo for corporate era". So what is the production at the beginning if I'm playing solo without corporate era? 0 or 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
Oh I just realised that the title of the solo player paragraph is "solo for corporate era". So what is the production at the beginning if I'm playing solo without corporate era? 0 or 1?

There is no official solo variant without corporate era. So you have to make your own rules if you want to play that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
GarfieldKlon wrote:

There is no official solo variant without corporate era. So you have to make your own rules if you want to play that way.

But to follow multiplayer rules I think starting with 1 is suitable for solo play without CE cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
Fluxx wrote:
GarfieldKlon wrote:

But to follow multiplayer rules I think starting with 1 is suitable for solo play without CE cards

There is no solo variant without CE. If you would play solo with +1 production and without CE anyway, you cannot post scores on the highscore lists!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EagleEye80 wrote:
orjanalmen wrote:
Fluxx wrote:
GarfieldKlon wrote:

There is no solo variant without CE. If you would play solo with +1 production and without CE anyway, you cannot post scores on the highscore lists!

Of course. But if someone really wants to play that way, I'll let him do that :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help think it's annoying to set the solitaire game up for a beginning trying to learn the game to be harder than it would be if he was playing with others.

Beginner is beginner, no matter how many humans are sitting at the board playing. I'd rather have an advanced solitaire mode and a solitaire mode.

I may play the beginner corp, 1 production on all areas and TR of 20 (exactly like a 2 player game). That way I'm practicing for what I'm really going to be playing with my friend when we go 2 player. I want the solitaire mode to be as much like the real game as I can get it.

After that once we graduate to corporate mode, if we do, I will play the normal/advanced corporate era solitaire variant. Of course if I play while I'm learning and think it's too easy I can always revert to the book specified mode.

Nothing I hate more than a brutal solitaire game (e.g. Robinson Crusoe and Ghost Stories). I do like scaling though. So it's nice to have the ADVANCED solitaire variant in the book for when I've learned the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Kr
msg tools
Hi I have three questions (I have Polish version of game, so I will be translating the terms back to English).

1. In the solo variant the game lasts 14 generations, that gives a player 28 actions, is my math correct? To terraform Mars you need 19 actions for temperature, 9 for oceans and 14 for oxygen, that adds up to 42 needed actions. It seems the player is short by 14 actions per game even if they do nothing save terraforming. Is it the way it is supposed to be?
2. The rulebook is saying in solo variant player should count victory points. It doesnt say though what the score should be nor what is the point of victory points in the solo game, so I would like to clarify that.
3. Some cards that allow to make green areas say explicitly: put a green area and increase oxygen level (Plantation, Protected Valley). But card named Mangrove says only to put the green area. Does it mean when one plays that card they do not increase the oxygen level, or is it the opposite - the other cards give you one level oxygen for green area and 1 extra becasue it says so on the cards.

Sorry if these things are obvious, I just played today for the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xionc wrote:
Hi I have three questions (I have Polish version of game, so I will be translating the terms back to English).

1. In the solo variant the game lasts 14 generations, that gives a player 28 actions, is my math correct? To terraform Mars you need 19 actions for temperature, 9 for oceans and 14 for oxygen, that adds up to 42 needed actions. It seems the player is short by 14 actions per game even if they do nothing save terraforming. Is it the way it is supposed to be?
2. The rulebook is saying in solo variant player should count victory points. It doesnt say though what the score should be nor what is the point of victory points in the solo game, so I would like to clarify that.
3. Some cards that allow to make green areas say explicitly: put a green area and increase oxygen level (Plantation, Protected Valley). But card named Mangrove says only to put the green area. Does it mean when one plays that card they do not increase the oxygen level, or is it the opposite - the other cards give you one level oxygen for green area and 1 extra becasue it says so on the cards.

Sorry if these things are obvious, I just played today for the first time.

No. In the normal game you can take 2 actions at a time then the other players can take actions and then you can take more actions. In solitaire you can take as many actions as you can pay for consecutively since there are no other players to "divide up" your actions. Man 2 actions a turn in solitaire would be the kiss of death.

Victory points are counted the same way they are in the manual, though mainly you have to terraform mars and with 14 turns, that is marginal depending on your corp and your choices.

Whenever you place a green tile you move up the TR and oxygen (except for the two green tiles that are placed in the beginning of the game for the solitaire variant which specifically say do not do this). You always do that regardless if the card remembers to tell you to do so or not.

Maybe more experienced players will correct me but that's how I think it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Kr
msg tools
Thank you David! that is much easier indeed, I played the game 3 times taking two actions per turn and no big surprise I lost all 3 of them. I even checked all the cards to figure out if it was technically possible to win the game in this setup and with very lucky draws that is indeed possible (very unlikely though). Also I admit I started with production indicators set to 1 instead of 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xionc wrote:
Thank you David! that is much easier indeed, I played the game 3 times taking two actions per turn and no big surprise I lost all 3 of them. I even checked all the cards to figure out if it was technically possible to win the game in this setup and with very lucky draws that is indeed possible (very unlikely though). Also I admit I started with production indicators set to 1 instead of 0.

My first game solo I started with a Beginner corp and 1 production. Then I went to a regular corp with 0 production. It's not THAT hard. You can do it. Try Ecoline and go for a plant engine.

Note that beginner corps draw 10 cards and keep them (don't have to pay you get them all). Regular corps still get 10 cards but have to pay 3mc each.

I played that wrong at first and that was what I was told. Hopefully I have it right now. Great game though.

I liked it so much I bought an insert and acrylic overlays for the player boards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Kr
msg tools
This is a great game indeed. I have started with Interplanrtary Cinematics today, production set to 0 and purchased 4 projects out of initial 10.

I must admit with illimited actions per turn I managed to complete the game in 12 turns, but no wonder since my production parameters at the end was double digit numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xionc wrote:
This is a great game indeed. I have started with Interplanrtary Cinematics today, production set to 0 and purchased 4 projects out of initial 10.

I must admit with illimited actions per turn I managed to complete the game in 12 turns, but no wonder since my production parameters at the end was double digit numbers.

Good work. Some corps are better than others as far as getting SOME kind of engine started. What sort of engine did you get going? What were you emphasizing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Kr
msg tools
I think I just got very lucky with my initial draw of projects. Everything just aligned for me perfectly. One thing that may be remarkable - I never built any city (not sure if this is anything special, as they seem to offer nothing in this game) and obviously I completely ignored victory points effects since there was noone to compete against.

Today I played another corp (Phob Log) and I needed all 14 turns to succeed.

I have one more small question - in the rules for solo setup there is a remark to avoid placing neutral cities on illegal fields, for example ocean fields. But to me ocean fields are only explicitely illegal fields to place cities - are there any other example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xionc wrote:
I think I just got very lucky with my initial draw of projects. Everything just aligned for me perfectly. One thing that may be remarkable - I never built any city (not sure if this is anything special, as they seem to offer nothing in this game) and obviously I completely ignored victory points effects since there was noone to compete against.

Today I played another corp (Phob Log) and I needed all 14 turns to succeed.

I have one more small question - in the rules for solo setup there is a remark to avoid placing neutral cities on illegal fields, for example ocean fields. But to me ocean fields are only explicitely illegal fields to place cities - are there any other example?

The reserved spaces are the 12 ocean spaces, Noctis City and the Phobos and Ganymede spaces. These spots must be avoided for starting cities and greenery and nothing may be placed there during the game unless specified by the card or effect used to place the tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Kr
msg tools
Thank you Dave, I was pretty sure about the moons and never attempted to place neutral city there. For Nocis city I had a doubt,in my version of the rules (Polish one) there is no direct interdiction to place a city there, just information that Noctis City can only be placed on that tile. (And if it is occupied then hard luck I guess). For oceans on the other hand both possibilities have been explicitly ruled out.

This seem to be possible as there are other cards who tell you to choose one of several spots to place your building, which can be occupied at the time you draw that project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.