5 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo player startup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mokey D Luffy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I may have made my first game of this much harder than it needed to be. When I read that you start the game"without the extra production of resources described for the standard game", I immediately reset all of my production to 0. Having struggles through that game, and then looked through the non-beginner corporations, now I think I may have done it incorrectly.

I now think that you start with a production of 0, but that if you use the better corporations, you do not get to increase your production. I think that you still get to use their abilities, and take any extra starting resources that are listed on the card.

Does this sound correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Mokey D Luffy wrote:
I think I may have made my first game of this much harder than it needed to be. When I read that you start the game"without the extra production of resources described for the standard game", I immediately reset all of my production to 0. Having struggles through that game, and then looked through the non-beginner corporations, now I think I may have done it incorrectly.

I now think that you start with a production of 0, but that if you use the better corporations, you do not get to increase your production. I think that you still get to use their abilities, and take any extra starting resources that are listed on the card.

Does this sound correct?

Starting without extra production is an included feature of playing Corporate Era as opposed to playing the standard game (without CE). All corporation effects, tags, resources and production are still valid in the solo game.
You can use a beginner corporation for solo, and it is actually not worse than the normal unique corporations, just simpler. And less fun.

So yes, you got it right now.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mokey D Luffy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so there isn't technically a solo variant for the beginner setup listed in the manual. I think I get that now. I might try to play a solo version of what would be considered Beginner one more time just to make sure I get it down. I guess it would make sense to put my production at 1 and take a boring beginner corporation, and then leave out all of the Corporate Era cards. Then, after I play that one more time just to make sure I have the basics down, I'll move on to the "correct" version.

Thanks for the quick response. My first impression, even with my struggles to get anything going, was pretty good. I would like to try and puzzle out a victory in solo play, and look forward to getting this to the table with other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use a beginner corporation, you would still start at 0 production, but with 10 free cards and cash that you don't have to spend on buying cards. That's the trade-off for the beginner corporations.
Of course, you can house-rule the game however you like, it's your game now.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mokey D Luffy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe in house rules. I generally put faith in the designer, and play testers, and do my best to follow the rules. I also generally do my homework to make sure that a game will be good before I purchase it. This was a rare breaking of that rule because it sounded interesting, was kind of in my style of play, and didn't have much information out there.

Okay. One more solo game at Beginner, with my production at zero, and then I move on to bigger and better things. Sounds good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.