$5.00
$20.00
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently adopted a large Descent collection, and my copy of MoM 2e just arrived. I will definitely be formulating my own opinion shortly, but I wanted to hear opinions from more experienced players about the differences between these two system. In short, as I introduce new players to these two systems, I want a better understanding on how to sell their differences.

Conventional Descent and 1e MoM are things I can already contrast -- I know that MoM is more story based, and has hidden information, where Descent 2e is more of a team tactical skirmish game with everything laid out from the start. Descent might not be 100% combat focused, but it certainly is tactically focused, akin to team coordination in a capture the flag match. MoM seems more about exploring a narrative, with mystery and the unknown around ever corner (objective included).

That said, I know Descent Road to Legend changes a lot of the core feel: it adds hidden information, a sense of exploration, and the app appears to offer a great deal of evocative text to read, all in a manner more akin to MoM.

So, again I ask: Does Road to Legend cross the divide to make it feel more like MoM? In what ways are these systems distinct in feel? I've read the rules, so I know the mechanical differences, but does Road to Legend evoke a sense of mystery as you progress, or is my impression of the divide between these titles being diminished mistaken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Short answer:

They keep the same contrast,as pointed for you, based on the main aspects from the original versions, but without the Overlord/Keeper figure.

Yes, theres some improvements on the story telling but in the end:

Descent: tactical skirmish combat / MoM: story telling, RPG feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The differences you noticed between Playing Descent with an Overlord or using the Road to Legends app are mostly the same differences between MoM 1st and 2nd edition, it's more streamlined, quicker setup time, more of an exploring the unknown feel and fully coop. If you've played Road to Legend you know what to expect from MoM2, it's just more story based.

The one big difference I have noticed between the two systems is that you will probably spend more time in the app with MoM2 that with Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steves71 wrote:
The differences you noticed between Playing Descent with an Overlord or using the Road to Legends app are mostly the same differences between MoM 1st and 2nd edition, it's more streamlined, quicker setup time, more of an exploring the unknown feel and fully coop. If you've played Road to Legend you know what to expect from MoM2, it's just more story based.

The one big difference I have noticed between the two systems is that you will probably spend more time in the app with MoM2 that with Descent.

Oh, so Road to Legend didn't interject more narrative flow to the evolution of a quest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
steves71 wrote:

Oh, so Road to Legend didn't interject more narrative flow to the evolution of a quest?

Not really no. It's only like the flavour text an OL would read. Basically from what I have played so far it's still very objective based skirmishing. It's done really well and the gradually unfolding dungeon creates that sense of the Unknown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

As Tiddleydwarf has already said, no it doesn't really add much, MoM2 adds more. But then again that all depends on the person who was the overlord/Keeper when playing Descent without the app or original MoM, if they were the type of person who just read from the cards then they apps (particular MoM2 does it better, Road to Legend would be about the same). If it was someone who has previously had a lot of DM/GM experience and add their own flair then neither of the two apps will come close to beating that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.