Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Lockdall

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DouglasLondon wrote:
If so how did you like it, and how did it compare?

Im curious about the similarities as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a TI3 fan and relatively frequent player with our group, but I pre-ordered STA for its own merits- not to play a TI3 replacement.

Having read through the rulebook (but obviously have not played yet), I can appreciate that this game will provide both depth and breadth of exploration, a reasonable degree of conflict (with a fairly uncomplicated combat resolution system) and a limited tech-tree that seems to hold to the flavor of the various starting races.

What is lacking/absent is much of the political intrigue that can develop during a full-blown TI3 event, as well as the the associated timeframe to finish a game to 10 VPs. I'm not looking to spend 4+ hours on STA during a single session (most likely around 2-2.5 hours, if that).

Then I think about the things that TI3 has that STA does not:
Ground combat
Leaders
Ships with different abilities/stats
Action cards (Direct Hit, anyone?)
That wonderful strategy card system with primary/secondary abilities

But it does have those cute command counters which are similar in function to those in TI3 but are actually more versatile in that they are not pre-assigned to various pools to support fleet logistics, strategy cards, etc.

I want to play a good Star Trek game, and I believe this one is definitively one of the better ones. It's not TI3, but does pay some small homage to that epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lars mallach
msg tools
mbmb
I love TI3. I played 4 games of Ascendency so far and love it. It plays faster and leaner than TI3.

I love TI3 and will still play it when ever I can but the setup for Ascendency is faster and if you like Star Trek has a lot of thematic flavor fans will love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this 4 times now, which is roughly how many times I've played TI3 over the past 5 years. They have a similar feel but I think star trek does a much better job incorporating theme and race mechanics over the entire experience while TI3 seems to develop into a similar game state every time. It's much more accessible than TI3 as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agntorenge wrote:
if you like Star Trek has a lot of thematic flavor fans will love.

Can you provide some detail? The thematic disconnect (I don't view Trek as something that lends itself to 4X gameplay) is one of the main reasons it's still sitting in my Cart at CSI, so I'd love to hear how this feels like Trek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
agntorenge wrote:
if you like Star Trek has a lot of thematic flavor fans will love.

Can you provide some detail? The thematic disconnect (I don't view Trek as something that lends itself to 4X gameplay) is one of the main reasons it's still sitting in my Cart at CSI, so I'd love to hear how this feels like Trek.

i feel Star trek is fine for a themed 4x game, what you might be missing is the scope.

often, an episode or a film features a specific situation; a planet that was discovered, some strange phenomenon, a standoff with klingon/romulan that want to exert their control over a planet and prevent the federation from intervening, a diplomacy summit to negotiate treaties etc. but all these situations are what happens with each action in a 4x game as its all about exploring/exploiting/exterminating(more for cardassians/klingongs)/expanding and finding the right political balance.

Certainly, the DS9 serie is more geopolitical in nature with its political balancing between all the factions, facing the threat of the dominion while also furthering their own political/expansionist ambitions.

ST:A, as a 4x game, combines those specific situations in an overarching geopolitical story, giving a broader meaning to those situations and puts you as a player at the helm

the theme in ST:A is felt through;
-seeing the ship miniatures on the map
-the planets/systems that you will recall from the shows/films
-the discoveries that again draw from the lore of the series/films
-specific situations that might remind you of similar situations that occurred in the films/series

i think, you need to ask yourself whether you care about the geopolitical aspect or not, if yes then ST:A should be to your liking.

who knows what expansions GF9 is planning besides just extra player/npc factions, some may add a more broader range of options for diplomacy/espionage/trade that might increase its immersion even further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also add that according to the person running the demo at GenCon, STA draws its material from all associated Trek series except for the Abrams reboot. He said that the timescale in this game is roughly 1o years per turn, and therefore over a 20-ish turn game, each race is experiencing ~200 years of expansion, growth and technological progress.

When I heard that, I was pretty much hooked. I am not aware of some similar pronouncement regarding TI3's timescale. I would also agree that many TI3 sessions seem to conclude with a similar board state, which is a byproduct of always having Mecatol Rex at the center. STA has a much more variable map dynamic which, when combined with the variable length of space lanes, has many effects on specific strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of TI and own and play ST:A. For me it's no where close. While I enjoy ST:A its on the lighter side of TI. It may of replaced Eclipse for me.

Big thing I noticed is there is more down time than TI. I couldn't imagine playing six players with ST:I.

My advice have both in your collection if you want a 3-4 player 4X game. You need to love Star Trek too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Towns
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge TI3 fan and I'm glad I bought Ascendancy. It scratches a similar itch as TI3, but there are enough differences to play both. To be fair I'm not the type of gamer that looks to "replace" or "fire" games from my collection. The main differences lie in variety, setup, diplomatic options and ship options. TI3 gives you more races to play as, while Ascendancy is going to be a slow drip to get to a comparable number. Setup is a big win for Star Trek. Get your homeworlds, measure out 18 inches, shuffle the planet tiles, and BAM you're ready to go. Diplomacy in Star Trek gives you fewer tools (no galactic council, trade is simpler), but there's enough to get you by. The ship variety in Ascendancy comes mainly from the fleet construction. On the one hand no War Suns, but on the other hand flying a 10 ship armada of Birds of Prey into a system is pretty intimidating too. The main similarity between the games that I like is that you can go to war, but you can play a peaceful game and win also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
rvrratt wrote:
I'm a big fan of TI and own and play ST:A. For me it's no where close. While I enjoy ST:A its on the lighter side of TI. It may of replaced Eclipse for me.

Big thing I noticed is there is more down time than TI. I couldn't imagine playing six players with ST:I.

My advice have both in your collection if you want a 3-4 player 4X game. You need to love Star Trek too.

Downtime is especially bad when learning. Although once you get the hang of it doing a turn should take under a minute. By the end of my session at GenCon, I was getting annoyed when I would have my turn planned out and be done in 30 seconds meanwhile I wait 20 minutes before my next turn due to a few people not paying attention.

I am actually looking forward to playing this with more people(5-6), but do fear massive downtime the first few games. TI3's turn structure keeps everyone engaged most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Lastname
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
It reminds me more of a better version of the Babylon 5 collectable board game. Not sure how many of you have played that.

I think all the Star Trek races in the board game are well themed and you can teach the game to anyone who understands the Game of Thrones board game. That game is another conceptually similar game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.