16 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: How replayable is this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
My experience with each of the first 3 scenarios is that the first game is about exploration, experiencing the story and learning the dynamic and objective of the scenario. We came close to winning on this run each time but didn't quite make it. But we basically learned everything we needed to organize for the 2nd run and complete the investigation, albeit in a close call (it's designed to be pretty close even if you know exactly what to do, except for the first scenario which is listed as easy).

In light of that I don't think you should expect to play them over and over. You pretty much know the story and objective after the 1st play, unless you did very poorly or are slow to pick things up.

For us the pattern has been: one game to experience the story and atmosphere. Then another game to put what we learned of the scenario mechanics and objective together and beat it.

Replaying beyond that point for me will largely to be to experiment with the (minimal compared to the hype) variation each scenario brings and see anything I missed.

Just to stress hard: most of the story and surprise factor will come in the 1st game. Subsequent runs are much more mechanical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
All the scenarios are replayable. However, there will come a time where you'll eventually see everything a scenario has to offer.

While tile placement isn't as randomized as we had hoped, item placement, monster spawns, dialogue changes, and overall luck of the dice is enough to change each playthrough enough to still have some fun.

Though as a little bit of icing on the cake, we are getting two collection sets in the fall that come with two new scenarios, along with the monsters and tiles from first edition that could change scenarios you've already played multiple times. Not to mention all the future expansions I'm sure we'll get. This is Fantasy Flight, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest K
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I've played Scenario #1 three times, all differing layouts, and differing experiences, with our latest being one of the best thematic gaming experiences I've ever had.

Scenario #2 doesn't seem to vary the map, but we did experience different locations and storylines.

That said, we've played over 10 hours at this point in the first two scenarios and haven't beaten the 2nd one (due to the recent crashes unfortunately).

It's not infinitely replayable, but there is a lot of game here for up to 5 people to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the real wow factor stops after 1 or 2 plays, but you still have the maps, monsters, starting items, and different investigators to at least provide casual enjoyment.

I've only even played the first scenario, but the first three plays have had totally different mansion layouts, which gave the monster tactics a different flavor. I actually didn't go in expecting it to be as replayable as I'm finding it so far.

But leaving that aside, the wow factor of the app is actually pretty stunning even if it's only a one shot deal per player per scenario. I've only played solo, but I'm pretty sure this will be a fun one to introduce to my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
High Flying Bird wrote:
My experience with each of the first 3 scenarios is that the first game is about exploration, experiencing the story and learning the dynamic and objective of the scenario. We came close to winning on this run each time but didn't quite make it. But we basically learned everything we needed to organize for the 2nd run and complete the investigation, albeit in a close call (it's designed to be pretty close even if you know exactly what to do, except for the first scenario which is listed as easy).

In light of that I don't think you should expect to play them over and over. You pretty much know the story and objective after the 1st play, unless you did very poorly or are slow to pick things up.

For us the pattern has been: one game to experience the story and atmosphere. Then another game to put what we learned of the scenario mechanics and objective together and beat it.

Replaying beyond that point for me will largely to be to experiment with the (minimal compared to the hype) variation each scenario brings and see anything I missed.

Just to stress hard: most of the story and surprise factor will come in the 1st game. Subsequent runs are much more mechanical.

I agree.

I will also add that the value of more plays comes with experiencing them all over again with new people. Just let the new players take the lead. I think I'm going to get my money's worth, but this isn't the game you play with the same group over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

I agree.

I will also add that the value of more plays comes with experiencing them all over again with new people. Just let the new players take the lead. I think I'm going to get my money's worth, but this isn't the game you play with the same group over and over again.

I agree with the above, and I'll also add that is much more replayable than Time Stories. I'd actually play this with new groups and still have a great time. I could even let the game sit on the shelf for awhile and play again down the road. I can't say the same of Time Stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was going to say, from what I'm hearing, this sounds like a slightly more repayable version of Time Stories (Caveat, I've played neither).

I used to own the 1st Edition but the 2nd edition - while looking like the better game - is still giving me cause for concern. I'd like to know how they're going keep expanding this (frequency and cost) before I jump in.

Obviously, if they release a Scenario Creator, well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
I was going to say, from what I'm hearing, this sounds like a slightly more repayable version of Time Stories (Caveat, I've played neither).

I used to own the 1st Edition but the 2nd edition - while looking like the better game - is still giving me cause for concern. I'd like to know how they're going keep expanding this (frequency and cost) before I jump in.

Obviously, if they release a Scenario Creator, well...

If they release a Scenario Creator this thing has the potential to go stellar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So far, playing the same scenario multiple times can still prove to be fun, especially if you have the 1st ed stuff which allows for more map variance and a larger pool of monster types to pull from. On our first play through, all but two of the spawned monsters were pulled from 1st ed (core and call of the wild).

That being said, I still wish there was more variance with respect to the narrative structure of each scenario. One of the cool things about the 1st ed scenarios is that as part of set up, the keeper "builds" the story by making several choices from a list of options. This not only changes the order in which the clue progression occurs, but introduces different clues and bits of narrative text. These story choices also directly influence the timed events and objectives that are revealed during the course of a scenario. It seems like this system would be even better implemented by an app. I.e., during initial scenario load, the app would randomly select from similar (albeit much more expanded) lists and create a scenario experience that was more varied narratively spesking each time you played. So for instance, is the main antagonist A, B or C and is their motive X, Y or Z. These combination would in turn direct how the screnario narrative played out with respect to events and objectives. As it stands, each time you play through a given scenario, the narrative structure appears to be the same with the same events and the same objective each time. Hopefully this is something FFG will fix in the near future and allow the existing scenarios to have even more re-playability. And gives thet this is now an app, adding more variations to existing sceanrios would be relatively simple to implelemt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Anglemark
Sweden
Storvreta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DouglasLondon wrote:
Do you guys find you can replay scenarios and get the same excitement from them in subsequent plays?

Nope. I'm not interested in seeing how the same story can be subtly varied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Best
United States
Brandon
FL
flag msg tools
I think Rising Tide must be the exception. I've played through it twice now and it was the same both times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phil mccrackin
msg tools
otakuon wrote:

That being said, I still wish there was more variance with respect to the narrative structure of each scenario. One of the cool things about the 1st ed scenarios is that as part of set up, the keeper "builds" the story by making several choices from a list of options. This not only changes the order in which the clue progression occurs, but introduces different clues and bits of narrative text. These story choices also directly influence the timed events and objectives that are revealed during the course of a scenario. It seems like this system would be even better implemented by an app. I.e., during initial scenario load, the app would randomly select from similar (albeit much more expanded) lists and create a scenario experience that was more varied narratively spesking each time you played. So for instance, is the main antagonist A, B or C and is their motive X, Y or Z. These combination would in turn direct how the screnario narrative played out with respect to events and objectives. As it stands, each time you play through a given scenario, the narrative structure appears to be the same with the same events and the same objective each time. Hopefully this is something FFG will fix in the near future and allow the existing scenarios to have even more re-playability. And gives thet this is now an app, adding more variations to existing sceanrios would be relatively simple to implelemt.

This. I can't believe how people are excusing the game for having none of the replayabilty of the first. It's like "it was just $100, I'm fine with it... hopefully they'll have something else i can give them money for soon". Old minis, no replayability through different storylines in each scenario, attached to an obsolescent and crashy app, and with only four base scenarios, one of which you must lose multiple times to finally have a chance at (yet can't at the moment because of crashyapp). I'm wondering if some of this "positivity" is a little of trying to fight off buyer's remorse.

Using other monsters or tiles from another set really doesn't add replayability, its just window dressing for the same experience. I'm quite letdown at what they expect us to pay $100 for. It's not like it's a ton of money, but there's just no value for that amount here. Old minis, old useless mini bases, an app that was developed for use for multiple games in house, some new (or recently released) tile artwork, and perhaps even these scenarios are dusted off from before, we don't know. If there's $100 worth of assets here i'm just not seeing them.

I like Mansions of Madness, i like the "idea" of it really. I'm just not seeing the product come out as it's advertised yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
McCrank wrote:
I think Rising Tide must be the exception. I've played through it twice now and it was the same both times.

No, the 1st scenario (which most people are basing their impressions on) is the exception. The others vary considerably less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

I agree.

I've already played this game with 4 different gaming groups (1st scenario all four times). I'm thoroughly impressed that no matter how many times I go through the scenario, the experience has never been the same, especially with different people making different decisions. Since it is a story, there are certain narrative elements that will always appear between games. But just how much mystery and variety is packed into such a short scenario is pretty cool.

Adding in the 1st Ed stuff also gives the game a lot more variation since the monsters behave differently as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My hope here, and this is just really wishful thinking at this point, is that FFG, with subsequent app updates, will add additional narrative branches to the existing scenarios in order to enhance their replayability. Given the way the 1e scenarios were designed, even though the map never changed, the branching story lines created a different narrative experience each time you played (at least until you exhausted all the story choice combinations, which for some could be quite extensive). Adding this sort of "narrative randomization" to the app should be a relatively simple thing to implement (especially since only the prologue and epilogues are fully voice acted).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.