Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G Selwood
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again I have come to BGG when my brain has failed me.

I'm in a prototyping phase of a game design based on a kind of steampunk ship warfare.

I am looking for ideas of the kind of weaponry that might be used on a ship (not airship) in a steampunk/low fantasy setting.

I'm thinking cannon/demi cannon, up to some more out there things like flamethrowers, but I would welcome any interesting weapon suggestions.

My own knowledge in this area is pitifully limited, especially since I'm trying to design a game!

Thank you for any ideas you can offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
So, by "steampunk/low fantasy" do you mean the "traditional" steampunk genre of alternative technology (no magic)? Depending upon the sophistication of the alternative technologies, you could make all kinds of things fit.

First thing that comes to my mind is weaponized harpoon canons.

What I think fits well with this theme are improvised weapons. Things that might normally be tools, but have been re-purposed, but are still nasty weapons. Like the nets and tridents of gladiator fights. You can have ships equipped with ramming spikes, or something to try to break/immobilize the enemy ship's rudder.

I imagine that torpedoes, with whatever kind of payload you want, could also fit into this area.

I'm also thinking that chemical weapons fit here, also. Your ships could attempt to lob glass/ceramic containers of whatever in order to poison/blind/burn/etc. the enemy crew.

More details could help people fine-tune suggestions, also. Are we talking about big wood/sails frigates, or sturdy ironclads, slippery u-boats, all of the above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Selwood
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Grishhammer, that was already an amazingly useful post and has got my mind whirring.

The basic setting will be a near-real world low fantasy sort of setting, but with a bit of a focus on a more alchemical style of chemistry, so your chemical weapons were along the right lines.

Steam power and gases are going to be in abundance.

The boats themselves are a sort of surface submarine. In the setting, the atmosphere they're fighting in is dangerous, so hull breaches become a real threat. On the other hand, they'll be fighting other boats/denizens that might not suffer as much from the atmosphere, so purely puncturing hulls is not the only objective.

The nets/ramming spikes have already got me thinking of some lovely options.

Objective gathering will probably play a part, so remote netting sounds very appealing as an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.