$30.00
Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach» Forums » Rules

Subject: More Rule Clarification Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Gan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
First 2 player play-through this evening, and we ran into a bunch of questions:

1) PvP - Excess damage to buildings: Do buildings suffer from the same damage limitation as army cards? E.g. if I do at least one point of damage to a building, is it destroyed even if I don't do enough damage to beat its defense? I.e. I have 2 excess damage after attacking and killing a defending army. The defender has a building with defense 3. Is that building destroyed?

2) Adventuring - Random Encounter: If I draw a treasure as the Random Encounter card, do I then continue to draw until a monster is revealed - such that there should always be two monsters with a Random Encounter? And if so, if I kill only one of those monsters, I presume that I would win the treasure guarded by that specific monster?

3) Combat: Since attacking army cards are exhausted at the end of combat, can you attack with a card AND use its exhaust ability in the same combat?

4) Hero Items: I hadn't actually clocked that Hero Items are specific types of treasure, and that it is only these types of treasure that MUST be assigned to a hero.

5) Item - Endurance Potion: If this card is destroyed, do you get the victory points for it at the end of the game?

6) Brewery/Granary/Treasury: Does this ability trigger every turn, even if a token is already on the card? If so, doesn't this mean that over time you could potentially horde all the tokens of a given type?

7) Hireling - Seeker: It states on the card, "Add +1 to your evade results". Is this a typo? I couldn't find a reference to "evade" in the rulebook - the closest thing I could find was Evasive, but that doesn't seem relevant to the card text.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
1. Yes, you have to destroy buildings until the damage pool is reduced to 0. Yes. Yes.

2. No. The treasure was the one extra card that you drew with Random Encounter.

3. Yes.

4. Correct. Some cards are marked treasure, but are not a hero item. Those cards are not assigned to heroes.

5. Nope.

6. Those cards just add an appropriate resource token to your pool. They do not store resources. If you don't use the resource, it is passed to the next player like the other unused resources.

7. Evade is used on the Wilderness cards. See the last paragraph of page 9. The Seeker has no effect when using the Dungeon.

Thanks!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That's great, cheers!

Two last questions:

8) Build/Hire - Spending Resources: The rules state "A player must spend both resources on a 'double resource' token to play it, either on the same card or another card played at the same time". So if I have only a double resource and have a card that costs 1 of those resources, I cannot spend the double resource to buy that card? If that's the case, it seems a little strange; you have a surplus of resources which you can't then spend.

We got into a situation where we were spending resources (and using the Harbour to convert pairs of tokens into less useful tokens) to prevent the opposing player from having quite so many resources.

9) Harbour/Market: Just to confirm, I assume you can only use this ability once per copy of the card in your city row (page 7 of the rules)?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
8. Correct, you cannot buy one single resource card with a double resource token and have the other resource be wasted.

9. Correct.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can buildings only be damaged by attacking players? When else does their defense come into play?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
alamb1101 wrote:
Can buildings only be damaged by attacking players? When else does their defense come into play?


Yes. That's pretty much it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When an army card with a soul gem is on it is destroyed, does the soul gem go back to my allegiance card or is it discarded?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmb
alamb1101 wrote:
When an army card with a soul gem is on it is destroyed, does the soul gem go back to my allegiance card or is it discarded?

It is discarded.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
alamb1101 wrote:
When an army card with a soul gem is on it is destroyed, does the soul gem go back to my allegiance card or is it discarded?

It is discarded.


Unless it specifically was removed from the Hero Card "Eder", which allows you to move the soul gem on your Allegiance Card upon Eder's destruction, rather than returned to the "general pool" of soul gems.

EDIT: Scott, it just dawned on me that you are the artist that worked on this game (I thought I recognized the name when I hit "quote"). So, if I am incorrect in my clarification of your rule, please let me know as I would defer all inquiries to you before me. It only seems appropriate.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmb
chrisnd wrote:
ScottE wrote:
alamb1101 wrote:
When an army card with a soul gem is on it is destroyed, does the soul gem go back to my allegiance card or is it discarded?

It is discarded.


Unless it specifically was removed from the Hero Card "Eder", which allows you to move the soul gem on your Allegiance Card upon Eder's destruction, rather than returned to the "general pool" of soul gems.

EDIT: Scott, it just dawned on me that you are the artist that worked on this game (I thought I recognized the name when I hit "quote"). So, if I am incorrect in my clarification of your rule, please let me know as I would defer all inquiries to you before me. It only seems appropriate.

You are absolutely right, Christopher. Eder is the exception to that rule!

So to clarify, it is discarded unless a card power overrides that rule. I think that's the only card in the deck that has that power.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Reamey
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott or Christopher,

Can you Adventure and/or attack another player more then once during your turn?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmb
Bose wrote:
Scott or Christopher,

Can you Adventure and/or attack another player more then once during your turn?

Just once per turn. You have three choices- Adventure, Attack another player, or Pass.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.