Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just played our 1st game tonight, and enjoyed it...our only thought was that the "raids" seemed too easy, and therefore there wasn't a whole lot of incentive to look for FP's elsewhere...

i'll re-read the rules again later tonight, and i'm hoping I missed something...it just seemed like a race the whole game to grab the raids before the other player...

your thoughts? thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt like the raids were ok, and some of the 7 point raids took a lot of resources. Remember that the largest number a raid could possibly take would be 18. That's fourteen Vikings with the inn, one from the hero, three from the ship (if you had the right ship).

I would said the raids were a little less exciting than one would expect, but certainly reasonably challenging to get the resources together.

I'm learning quickly this is a hand management where combos and bonuses are critical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mohnkern wrote:
I felt like the raids were ok, and some of the 7 point raids took a lot of resources. Remember that the largest number a raid could possibly take would be 18. That's fourteen Vikings with the inn, one from the hero, three from the ship (if you had the right ship).

I would said the raids were a little less exciting than one would expect, but certainly reasonably challenging to get the resources together.

I'm learning quickly this is a hand management where combos and bonuses are critical.

i would agree, but to us the "raids" seemed a little too easy...and what we would have liked is a little "risk" added...

not sure how, but just so they weren't automatic once you'd collected your resources...maybe a stronger "raid modification" would help, maybe:

- once active player launches a raid, and met the requirements, other player(s) could still play their one card (for the "action symbol") as it is now but for each card not "covered" by the active player any "lost" FP's would go to the other player(s) (FP's would not be given by active player to the other players, but Raid may result in fewer FP's and non-active players might risk a card for a chance to gain a FP)?

example:

0 cards "uncovered" = +1 FP bonus to active player
1 card "uncovered" = 0 bonus
2 cards "uncovered" = -1 FP for active player, +1 to other players who played cards
3 cards "uncovered" = -2 FP for active player, +2 to other players who played cards

AND in all cases, non-active players who choose to play a card during this phase DO NOT replenish that card at the end of the Raid (like it is now), but will just start their turn 1 card short (that was the risk to them)...and will draw back to 6 at the end of their turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contigo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you describe more about what "raids are too easy" means?

Raids cost many cards -- generally at least 2 for a hero, around 3-6 for the right kind of vikings, 3-4 to recruit or return/repair the ship, plus 3 cards or more for matching the 3 raid cards.

Indeed, that is the main way the player gets points -- the only other ways I'm aware of are buildings, and maybe one or two points for ships or heros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.