Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game today. I explained the rules in the rule book reasonably well, it seems. However, the SECR charter is printed with a special power (free token placement in the English Channel) that as far as I could see is not mentioned in the rules proper, but only in Table and on the charter.

I sometimes forget to mention a major's special power (most commonly the special power of the IC in 1846,) but usually the special powers are mentioned in the main body of the rules.

My two recommendations:

(1) If you're teaching the game, mention the SECR's special power.

(2) The rule book would benefit from some wording (in the token placement section) about this special power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Eric's recommendations.

Must the SECR be connected by track to the English Channel to place the free token? Does the placement consume the SECR's token laying step?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Cutforth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
TheCat wrote:
Agree with Eric's recommendations.

Must the SECR be connected by track to the English Channel to place the free token? Does the placement consume the SECR's token laying step?

Yes, the SECR requires a track connection to lay the token
Yes, laying the token counts as the token laying step.

Fair comment about the rules. I think its in the FAQ? I will check and add / update if not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
The yellow initial tile for the English Channel has no track. In order to connect with it via track, a green tile needs to be laid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Destrius wrote:
The yellow initial tile for the English Channel has no track. In order to connect with it via track, a green tile needs to be laid?

I don't see that it admits of any other interpretation; no track, no trains.

France's 0 value in the yellow phase also means there would be no reason to run a train there. [1]

Here's a question: can private #5 be used to place a token in the yellow English Channel? It has a token space printed but rule 5.4.4 only details the token spots in green, brown, and grey. (If private #5 can be so used, the owning company misses out on the upgrade to green, which I don't think is the intention...)

[1] since routes can end at towns in 1822, there isn't an edge case where you're trying to add Folkestone to a route but then need a city to finish at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.