Bernie Campbell
United States
Salem
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
But it was so...artistically done...
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find boxes in the Avalon Hill flatbox style? I have a couple older boxes that are falling apart and need replacing. Midway, Blitzkrieg, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt you will find many, if any, empty boxes lying around. What I have done is just buy a full game that still had an intact box. There are a surprising number of those available. Sure, you'll end up with two sets of components but that seems like a small matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Or repurpose an old useless game from a thrift store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Cairol
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try this Geek list:

Resource list-- I just want the box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Campbell
United States
Salem
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not concerned if they are the actual boxes. I'll used generic blank boxes. I just can't find the size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many clothing items, such as men's shirts, come in similar boxes, although they tend to be more flimsy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple TripleCrown
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if there is a similar store in your area, but I have found many suitably sized replacement game boxes, or boxes suitable for print and play games, at http://www.creativebag.com/. They have retail stores in my area, but also appear to do online business. The boxes I have used have been for AH bookshelf games (their size is actually a bit larger than the AH boxes), but I believe I have also seen boxes that would be appropriate for the older flat style AH boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought empty boxes at Staples that are about 12 inches by 15 inches. This is just about the right size. They are one piece boxes, with a lid that is connected to the bottom on one side so it swings up.

Also, GMT sells sturdy plain white boxes in the 2-inch and 3-inch sizes. I just got a 2-inch one for $6 at GMT, and I put Sicily II into it (with stick-on labels so it's not just a plain white box.)

Now, this latter solution is not the size of the Avalon Hill flat boxes, but I thought I'd mention it in case someone else is reading this thread who needs this size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squidley Inkjet
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
You're going to voyage through a land of wonders.
badge
Stunned amazement will probably be your habitual state of mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have applied clear matte contact paper on a number of my game boxes. It doesn't just protect the surface, it holds it together structurally as well. I bet you could do this with a box that already had split corners etc. Just use the clear matte contact paper as an external "skin" to hold things together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Campbell
United States
Salem
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try Staples. And I'll get some contact paper. I can try and repair most of them, but I picked up a copy of Blitzkrieg without a box. So I'm looking to try and get those pieces all together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Campbell
United States
Salem
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did some digging, and found this guy's posts, and I think I'll give his suggestion a try, since most of the AH games are approximately the same size. Just thought I'd throw this up here, in case anybody ever comes looking around.

http://bigthinkgames.com/buy-a-better-bismarck-box/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I've bought empty boxes at Staples that are about 12 inches by 15 inches. This is just about the right size. They are one piece boxes, with a lid that is connected to the bottom on one side so it swings up.

Also, GMT sells sturdy plain white boxes in the 2-inch and 3-inch sizes. I just got a 2-inch one for $6 at GMT, and I put Sicily II into it (with stick-on labels so it's not just a plain white box.)

Now, this latter solution is not the size of the Avalon Hill flat boxes, but I thought I'd mention it in case someone else is reading this thread who needs this size.

I've looked on GMT's website for plain boxes but not seeing anything listed. Am I just clicking in the wrong place or did you call them directly? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've looked on GMT's website for plain boxes but not seeing anything listed. Am I just clicking in the wrong place or did you call them directly? Thanks.

They normally appear in the Accessories area so, if they're not there right now, I expect they are out of stock.

Omega Games sell nice blank boxes, too, although it's anybody's guess what will happen to Omega Games at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I've bought empty boxes at Staples that are about 12 inches by 15 inches.

12"x15" would seem to be nearly twice as big as needed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

OP is seeking to replace Avalon Hill Flatboxes, roughly 11x14".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
patton1138 wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

OP is seeking to replace Avalon Hill Flatboxes, roughly 11x14".

D'oh! Didn't read closely enough. Saw 12x15 and then saw Sicily II and made a leap that wasn't justified....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
Quote:

They normally appear in the Accessories area so, if they're not there right now, I expect they are out of stock.

Omega Games sell nice blank boxes, too, although it's anybody's guess what will happen to Omega Games at this point.

They're not currently listed on GMT's website, but I called them directly and they do have some blank boxes in stock. The 2" boxes are $6 each plus shipping. In didn't ask about the 3" boxes but I suspect they're a buck or two more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyJF wrote:
moly19 wrote:
Quote:

They're not currently listed on GMT's website, but I called them directly and they do have some blank boxes in stock. The 2" boxes are $6 each plus shipping. In didn't ask about the 3" boxes but I suspect they're a buck or two more.

Tony, I bought them in person at their booth at WBC. The 3" boxes were $8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use book binding tape, and glue. Throwing out a damaged or worn game box is a last resort for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the method for box repair that I've been using for years. There's a very detailed tutorial posted by Greg Aleknevicus on his Games Journal website. With glue, binder clips and right angle brackets I've been able to rebuild some severely split corners.

http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/RepairingBoxes.shtml
http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/RepairingBoxes2.shtm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.