Popular Tags: [View All]
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this same question years ago but can't track down the post.

What are the best aliens for direct interactivity? I have now had a string of bad alien combinations and I would like to settle down to a standard 10-15 to offer first time players (and then blow their minds with the rest of the deck after their first game).

I remember loving Sorcerer and Oracle interacting.

Also, which aliens and/or flares most approximate the interactions from Dune?

joey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you describe what you mean by "direct interactivity?" Some of the classic suggestions for first-timers, like Zombie, are not terribly interactive, but they're great at illustrating the game.

The Dune question is very interesting. Let me see...

Atreides, prescience -- Oracle

Fremen, mobility -- perhaps Amoeba

Harkonnen, treachery -- Barbarian, or perhaps Warhawk

Emperor, wealth -- if you want the part where everyone pays him, something like Pickpocket or Outlaw. If you just want him to be rich or powerful, Aristocrat

Guild, gets rich from moving ships around -- Healer, believe it or not

Bene Gesserit, power of Voice -- Visionary.

Cosmic Eons will add a couple more possibilities, but I'm not allowed to talk about those yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comprehensive reply! I think you misunderstood both of my questions however.

1. Interactivity - I meant that I want to use my Mirror power, but I am terrified you will swap cards with me using your power... in other words, I am not interested for aliens that are specifically *easy* to play-- I want aliens where the *timing* is interesting and everyone argues and the simplicity (and apparent stupidity of their "simple" or "boring" alien power) falls away and there is a collective awe at the complex and interesting dynamics.

2. I didn't mean THEMATIC, I meant MECHANIC- from the game, not the book. Especially in regard to the interactions when players are in an alliance. In Dune the game I might have a Bene Gesserit power that lets me force you to play a card, or block you from playing a card, but it is doubly interesting if I am allied with Atreides and he can tell me which card you have (but could theoretically lie to me). Players can give spice to each other, or prevent each others' destruction by worms or storms or whatever.

I guess some people call this "combo aliens" like Mind/Visionary or Philanthropist/Visionary - that kind of thing is similar to the Dune alliance cards.

joey

Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Can you describe what you mean by "direct interactivity?" Some of the classic suggestions for first-timers, like Zombie, are not terribly interactive, but they're great at illustrating the game.

The Dune question is very interesting. Let me see...

Atreides, prescience -- Oracle

Fremen, mobility -- perhaps Amoeba

Harkonnen, treachery -- Barbarian, or perhaps Warhawk

Emperor, wealth -- if you want the part where everyone pays him, something like Pickpocket or Outlaw. If you just want him to be rich or powerful, Aristocrat

Guild, gets rich from moving ships around -- Healer, believe it or not

Bene Gesserit, power of Voice -- Visionary.

Cosmic Eons will add a couple more possibilities, but I'm not allowed to talk about those yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the base game, try choosing from this pool:

Dictator
Fido
Gambler
Mirror
Philantropist
Will
Sorcerer
Oracle
Loser
Mind

Not sure if you have expansions or not, as there are some great choices in those for what you ask for, but at any rate 10 should get you started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been so long since I played Dune, I don't remember which aliens the factions are similar to. But I do seem to remember that there is a definite similarity to some of the CE aliens.

If you're looking for the powers that interact with each other, then they come in different kinds, the card-based ones, the combat ones, etc. To a certain extent, you can look for ones that have the same timing indicators - like all the ones that occur during Planning, or during Reveal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.