$20.00
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm currently trying to figure how I could store my boardgames in my living room and the presence of a pet in my flat makes me wanting to "hack" a Kallax shelving unit, especially to lift the 1st level of shelves.

The thing is that I need a rough estimation of the weight of this installation in order to scale the lifting support (number of feet/wheels/whatever).

So, have some of you already weighted the content of shelves (during a move for example) ?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fit about five games in each opening. So multiply 5 X (avg game weight) X number of openings. Then add in the games you'll have across the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
So multiply 5 X (avg game weight) X number of openings. Then add in the games you'll have across the top.

Thanks for the answer but the average game weight is precisely what I hoped to get from answers ... I guess I will clean my kitchen scale and weight 5 average-box games to get the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can go to Amazon and see the weight of the games they are selling.

Try to see if they have yours and add those number up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kajo wrote:
You can go to Amazon and see the weight of the games they are selling.

Thanks for the advice, I don't buy on Amazon so I wouldn't have thought of that by myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could provide you with the actual weight of a couple hundred games from my collection since I have that info in my spreadsheet (in case I sell or trade them and need to look up shipping costs). Most titles are German though. And some will just say >2400 g since the kitchen scale I used ended there :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but when the movers came last month they wrapped the 2x4s up with the games included and loaded them into the shipping crates! Two guys lifted them and took them downstairs without too much trouble!! Except for me yelling at them!

-m

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coe
United Arab Emirates
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
flag msg tools
I like cats...
badge
...but I usually can't finish a whole one.
mbmbmbmb
According to BGG, the average weight of a game is three, so just multiply the number of games you have by that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikea gives the max load/shelf of a Kallax unit as 29 lb/13 kg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine my games are heavier than others'. I put small games into the big box games with lots of air. I also do component upgrades like glass/wood bits and resources, as well as plano boxes and foam inserts.

One of my heaviest game is Lords of Waterdeep because of the metal coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I make a multi-answer
cuazzel wrote:
I could provide you with the actual weight of a couple hundred games

I have watched on Amazon and as I love deckbuilders and their boxes full of sleeved cards and/or boxes containing several games I will consider a weight of 5 kg per case.

jbrecken wrote:
Ikea gives the max load/shelf of a Kallax unit as 29 lb/13 kg.

I'm more interested in the weigh of the Kallax and if wathever will be under it can handle it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Previdi
Italy
Goito
Mantova
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We should submit it as a new unit of measure: a "Kallax", noted as Kx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can check the KALLAX weight including packaging at the IKEA site. The 4x4 is 42.64 kg.

Out of curiotity I looked up the average weight of a standard Ticket to Ride sized game in my spreadsheet and it is 1.382 kg (based on 85 games of that size).

So a 4x4 KALLAX which fits 4 TTR-sized games per compartment should be about 130 kg when filled with average TTR-sized games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cuazzel wrote:
So a 4x4 KALLAX which fits 4 TTR-sized games per compartment should be about 130 kg when filled with average TTR-sized games.

My estimates :

Empty:

2 x 2 → 14 kg
1 x 4 → 16 kg
2 x 4 → 25 kg
4 x 4 → 45 kg
5 x 5 → 66 kg

In use: (meaning not full as you need space for future games)

2 x 2 → 29 kg
1 x 4 → 31 kg
2 x 4 → 55 kg
4 x 4 → 105 kg
5 x 5 → 160 kg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sietchlord wrote:

We should submit it as a new unit of measure: a "Kallax", noted as Kx.

That's not a great standard though, they have a lot of variations : the op has 2x4, I for instance have 4x4, I knwo there are also 5x5s etc... the 5x5 would not be so simple to convert to from 2x4 :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One Kallax cube seems to hold approximately one free shipping order from an online vendor, which averages about 10 pounds. With 16 cube openings I would say about 160lbs or in BGG terms 16 free shipping orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.