Subject: [WIP] New Hero: Renegade Monk rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JG Heithcock
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
This is inspired from David Carradine's character from the "Kung Fu" television show.

To try and match the theme of the show, a Renegade Monk is excellent at melee, using D8s for both To Hit and Damage, but their beliefs prevent them from using any guns, effectively removing Ranged attacks. I've play tested this solo as well as multiplayer through a number of levels (and can confirm the hero is far from overpowered!) but would be happy to hear any feedback.

You can download a PDF or individual PNGs of the character cards description at:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3JbISMpKMlLWUpHSFZJ...

These were made using Klutz's custom hero class template, his card generator and his Full-Art Card Dividers (for the back of the Starting Items card). Many thanks Kevin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He looks prettly interesting, but I think there are some ambiguities.

His first ability is technically same as S. Girl´s?

He can use weapons, but not buy them in town?
There is some weapon/gun ambiguity I think.

"The Thorn Defends..." feel like it should be just 3+

Earth path feels comparably weak.

"Immune to corruption" is not fully explained and might be OP.

"A place to stand (stay?)" feels pretty bad.
"Calm and restful breeze" is not well defined, perhaps missing "just drawn".

"Fire" might be stronger than other paths and more popular because it is basically only path that boosts fighting abilities.

"Unique Personal Items":
A Pebble is described differently that on the card.
Seedling has no card (and might be bit weaker).

BTW, Monk can be pretty good at robbing banks and then donating all the money to charity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JG Heithcock
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback Ondrej!

His first ability is a bit of a tradeoff on Saloon Girl - he can only heal one token, but can choose to heal himself. If he chooses to heal a Hero other than himself, the Hero only needs to be on the same tile. The Saloon Girl can't heal herself, and has to be next to any Hero she heals (though she can heal as many as she is next to).

No, he cannot use Guns at all. Maybe I need to make that clearer. If he acquires a Gun via Scavenge or other means, he can either donate it to someone in the party, otherwise he just discards it.

For "The Thorn Defends...", I was struggling to not make him OP, and Fire, as you say, was already on the strong side compared to the other paths. I agree Earth could use some beefing up, but I couldn't think of better upgrades that were Earth themed (I guess I could only require 1 Grit to get a Herb token).

This is also why I had "Immune to corruption" (basically, he never gets corruption points). It might be overpowered, but you had to take the non-fighting path, so it seemd you should get something for it (basically, Water equals "Healing/Health" from a theme perspective).

Re "A Place To Stand", imho, I love all the artifacts that allow you to get past bad Darkness cards, but maybe I could change it to just cancel (so you use 2 Grit and skip the card altogether). That seem a bit OP to me, but I'm game to try it.

Good point on the "Calm and Restful Breeze", I'll add "just drawn" as that is indeed the intent.

And good catch on the Personal Items, I changed out the text for the card (and killed off the Seedlings as it did seem kind of lame). These were all from various episodes and I liked the idea that the Seedlings could become something, but getting a Grit at the end of an adventure seemed pretty tame. In the next rev, I'll fix that.

> donating all the money to charity

He can also give it to other Heros in his Posse, and he can buy things, like Auras that are pretty helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I must have totally missed the differences from S.G. ability.

What I meant is that there was amguity whether he can use WEAPONS at all (not just guns).

The Thorn Defends..." : I just mean that it is totally unheard of in SoB so far to jump from 4+ to 2+ (2+ is of course strnger than 3+).

BTW, I do not like abilities that refer to individual enemies for example.
"Trust is" would mean that you have to remember which dice belong to each one of for example five same enemies that attacked you.
FFP does too occasionally, but it is bad design IMHO.

I realised that "The Way of Life" (Water) can also be ambiguous.
Do you need to heal for example just 1 Wound from a Hero with only 1 Wound to get the Grit or it was intended to word differently? If the first interpretation is correct Water is very very strong. Basically
free Grit (Healing Hand), free healing (heal bigger Damage with "Knowledge" for Grit and probably get the Grit back immediatelly. Otherwise pretty meh "Water Unbroken" might help you to stock up on Tonics if you are swimming in Grit already.
But I do not say it is OP.

"A Place To Stand" (shoul not be "stay"?): just cancelling seems OK to me and there also should be a lot of XP awarded for that. Basically every action that helps posse should be awarded (with XP or else). Fighting bonuses have the awards in-built, everything
else needs them to be specifically added IMO.

Good creating, I admire your creativity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Szendroi
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, I really like this character, it must have been a lot of time to create it. One thing I don't get is if he can use melee weapons or not? He can't buy them but he can give someone the money to buy them for him?

I might play him with unarmed only anyway. Have you thought about forcing unarmed (maybe creating some fist weapons for him) and then you can create abilities in every elemental path that adds some effect to the unarmed attacks without worrying about outdamageing others.

Also I feel like the starting crit of 6,7,8 is quite OP with the d8 damage die in the early game. What if the crit would start with 7,8 and there could be an ability in the 2nd row that adds 6 to the mix (and some other effect). The 50% crit chance could be kept for the 4th row aswell. My thinking is that even if you don't crit early game the d8 gives a big edge over the static defence value of enemies. You could do 3 damage against a def 5 enemy. That's much more than it was intended by the designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JG Heithcock
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
Good points again Ondrej, I will try and clarify that is only guns that he cannot use. Also good point about the jump from 4+ to 2+ in "The Thorn Defends" - I'll fix that in the next version.

I hear you regarding the "Trust is the Armor" issue. I drew that from the Saloon Girl's Parry upgrade. I have been playing that as it was the player's choice which of the attacking enemy's got the wound, but I can see that might not be official!

Regarding "The Way of Life", yes, if the hero you heal only has one wound or sanity loss, you would only need to heal one to recover a grit. As you said earlier, I was trying to make up for what I thought was a weaker path by making the healing really pay off. I've not played down that far on that path, so I can't say for myself if it is OP or not.

For "A Place To Stand" (and yes, it is "Stand" - these are all taken from quotes from the show), I'm happy to knock off the "re-draw" - it seems a fine line between too overpowered and too weak. This is very like the Marshal's "Dead or Alive" upgrade (I do not think I realized that at the time.) I may just borrow that wording as is.

Again, thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JG Heithcock
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
Hi Balazs, yes, I need to make the weapons usage clearer I think. Basically the Renegade cannot use any weapon that has "Gun" in the title. So he could use a Bow and Arrow or some other weapon, just no guns. If he finds one via Scavenge or Loot, he can give it (or even sell it) to a member of the Posse, other wise he discards it. I thought for a time about putting in a rule that he could choose to get XP instead of Money or Weapons but decided in the end it wasn't needed - let me know if you think otherwise!

I also was concerned about the D8 being overpowered. But in a fair bit of testing, his lack of melee really hurts, and so it hasn't seemed too overpowered in actual use. But again, let me know if you find out otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.