BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » The Village Square

Subject: ljtrigirl Levels Up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Squared
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
With Trigirl being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. Just don't lock clear her for tone. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably just be murdalated.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm starting this thread to hold myself accountable to several goals that I've set for myself and to hopefully get some encouragement along the way.

If anyone else wants to work on some goals for themselves too, feel free to chime in!

I decided that my goals would be in five major categories: Work, Exercise, Sleep, Board Gaming, and Relationships. I'm setting small goals in each with plans to level up each as I achieve it.

Work:

Level 1: Only be in or mod 2 games at a time on BGG for a month

This may not seem like a work-related goal, but my boss had another talk with me last week about how my work is always great, but I spend too much time on the internet. So spending less time on the internet is my current work priority.

Exercise:

Level 1: Complete the 2.5 mile hiking trail near me in 45 minutes.

Currently, it's taking me anywhere from 55 to 70 minutes depending on whether or not it's raining. I want to cut that down.

Sleep:

Level 1: Get 7.5 hours of sleep a night for a week straight.

I definitely don't do this. I should.

Board Gaming:

Level 1: Have a prototype of Rainbow Werewolf ready for CabinCon.

This one feels a little more self explanatory.

Relationships:

Level 1: Go on two dates with new people in a month.

I'm terrible about this. My current dating pool is pretty much just people that I'm already friends with, and I don't really want to date any of my friends.

So, yeah! Those are my goals. I'll probably do some kind of daily update with current progress towards those goals. If you have any encouragement and/or advice, please let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Squared
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
With Trigirl being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. Just don't lock clear her for tone. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably just be murdalated.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today's status update:

I got 9 hours of sleep (because it's a weekend) and did the loop in about 65 minutes, though I blame the rain because I had to be very careful on some of the hills and on the logs. I also scheduled a date with this guy that I bailed on once before because I was too hung over and then told I wouldn't have time until after GenCon was over. Yay progress!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wyles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sanctimonia Vincet Semper
badge
What's the use in being a disgrace to the name of wizard if they don't even pay you well for it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish you all the best with this LJ, I assume you don't mind comments appearing here heh, and if so, I'm fine with removing said comment!

I'm rather awful at creating goals for myself and achieving them; it has been one of the many things that continuously evade me in my life, and were I cogent enough right now, I'd probably ask if I could maybe have a bash to see if this might do something to permeate my skull where most things fail, though I imagine I have a lot of things that need doing in reality. We'll see when I'm cogent enough to make rational decisions.

I'll be rooting for you, and providing all encouragement I can though, it was wonderful to see you over Skype, and I know that you're wonderful, and deserve to attain what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aryabi Sova
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great goals! You've inspired me to do the same soon. I really need to come up with some long and short term goals to move my life along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Squared
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
I wish you all the best with this LJ, I assume you don't mind comments appearing here heh, and if so, I'm fine with removing said comment!

I'm rather awful at creating goals for myself and achieving them; it has been one of the many things that continuously evade me in my life, and were I cogent enough right now, I'd probably ask if I could maybe have a bash to see if this might do something to permeate my skull where most things fail, though I imagine I have a lot of things that need doing in reality. We'll see when I'm cogent enough to make rational decisions.

I'll be rooting for you, and providing all encouragement I can though, it was wonderful to see you over Skype, and I know that you're wonderful, and deserve to attain what you want.

Thanks! laugh I'm great at setting goals but terrible at remembering to do them, so I hope that these are bite sized but substantial enough to actually stick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Squared
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amekins wrote:
Great goals! You've inspired me to do the same soon. I really need to come up with some long and short term goals to move my life along.

Doooooo it! Let me know if you want to bounce ideas off of me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L squared Respect
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I firmly believe you can do anything you set your mind to. You are one of the most capable, organized, motivated and efficient people I know of. This shows based on you organizing Cabin Con, BGG shirts, modding and playing countless games, all at the same time as excelling in many other areas of life and being there for others.
Even your goals are listed in such a realistic, organized, achievable way! I'll help be your inner cheering voice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L squared Respect
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Edit: Owl out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first goal is simple: Make a concrete list of my goals, and post it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby F.
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. - Linus
badge
I am fat and tasty!
mbmbmbmbmb
LJ. I'm going to give you incentive.

I'll tip 1 for each of these goals you complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I am not Groot.
mbmbmbmbmb
I work the opposite way, I record things to myself as I do them so the pile of stuff I've finished looks bigger than my mental pile of what I haven't done.

In terms of my own CabinCon goals, I have finished the frenetically fun simulationist worldbuilding bit, made and decorated an imaginary board game with appropriate iconography, and made the whole shell of the actual RPG to be played with all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Squared
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quaseymoto wrote:
LJ. I'm going to give you incentive.

I'll tip 1 for each of these goals you complete.

Yessssss. I love
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Squared
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TFang wrote:
I work the opposite way, I record things to myself as I do them so the pile of stuff I've finished looks bigger than my mental pile of what I haven't done.

In terms of my own CabinCon goals, I have finished the frenetically fun simulationist worldbuilding bit, made and decorated an imaginary board game with appropriate iconography, and made the whole shell of the actual RPG to be played with all that.

Oh man. I'm so excited! I sent one of my friends that might play the GM that you sent me, so he might be reaching out to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Chaotic Neutral
badge
10268 days since the last Incident
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I really need to take part in an accountability thread, and on average, I talk to you people more than my face to face friends. My goals are kind of cray and I fail them often.

I'm going to post verbatim from my August planner list, which is half over already and I have exactly one check mark, which is the venue tours are scheduled. One of which I have already managed to reschedule once already.

Goals

Personal:
- Lose 10 lbs (have lost 4 to date, not doing too bad here)
- Exercise on purpose
- Clear things from Mom's garage
- Purge office and craft room (office is half done)

Writing:
- Mr. Ono outline
- Main Character backstories
- 20,000 words ( 6k done)

School:
- Actually read material before doing the assignments
- Stop living by due dates

Wedding:
- Tour the last two venues with parents (both scheduled)
- Set date, put down deposit on venue
- Ceremony/reception decor "master list"

I kind of think my goals need a bit of tweaking, and there's probably stuff I hold myself accountable for that isn't on a goals list, and therefore doesn't tap into the accomplishment/reward part of my brain enough to do them more often, like cooking at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do it, LJ!

How are you tracking your sleep? I've been supremely pleased with my fitbit (wristwatch), especially its sleep tracking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
My first goal is simple: Make a concrete list of my goals, and post it here.

Deadlines are a procrastinator's worst enemy best medicine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Things to do today:

Put x next to item on list. X

Cross off item from list.

Well, I've done the first one, but no time for the second thing today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
You can do it, LJ!

How are you tracking your sleep? I've been supremely pleased with my fitbit (wristwatch), especially its sleep tracking.

I use an app called Sleep Cycle (iOS, but it's prolly on Android too). It's really good. It tracks your hours slept and quality (via microphone). The best part is that you tell it the time you want to wake up by and it wakes you when you are sleeping lightest within the 30 mins before that time. Much better than being in a deep sleep when your alarm goes off.

I haven't dug too deep into the app, but I'm pretty sure you can have it tell you when to go to bed based on when you need to be up and how you've been sleeping this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
You can do it, LJ!

I use an app called Sleep Cycle (iOS, but it's prolly on Android too). It's really good. It tracks your hours slept and quality (via microphone). The best part is that you tell it the time you want to wake up by and it wakes you when you are sleeping lightest within the 30 mins before that time. Much better than being in a deep sleep when your alarm goes off.

I haven't dug too deep into the app, but I'm pretty sure you can have it tell you when to go to bed based on when you need to be up and how you've been sleeping this week.

How is this impacted by cats jumping on/off the bed and sleeping on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
I use a blank notebook (I'm a Moleskine and Field Notes fan) and titled it "How To Be Awesome." On the first few pages I brainstormed a long list of daily habits/traits/characteristics/activities/etc that I think approach some level of perfection. It is physically impossible to do everything on the list. Part of the point of this is to show the impossibility of what I subconsciously I am trying to do every day. The list has things like:

read 50pp
exercise 30-60 mins
meditate 60 mins
journal
write 500 words
call a friend
write a letter to friend
inbox zero
1 load of laundry
play 15 minutes with each kid
conversation with wife: 30 minutes
deep clean something in the house
walk dog

and on and on

The next few pages are explorations of these items. I break them down like task analysis. Doing a load of laundry is broken down to a few parts (put laundry in washer, flip to dryer, fold, put away). Breaking things down like this help visualize how they will fit into the day as a whole. I also break them down into levels. Start with reading 10pp per day, then after that is going well, 20pp. Working up to 50pp per day. Or 5 minutes full attention for each kid. Then up that to 10 minutes after success.

Then I list the first step (or entry level) phase to each item. Then I choose 2-3 of them and add them to an "In Progress" list. When I feel I've mastered a item phase I either upgrade it to the next phase (now meditate 15 minutes a day) or if the item is maxed (already writing 500 words per day) I move it to the "Completed" list. The completed list is all of the items that I do out of habit with almost no activation or motivation effort. Things like running, inbox zero, and read 50pp are on autopilot. They are never nagging the back of my mind as something I should be doing nor are they things I have to psych myself up to do or carve out time in the day. Now, they just happen.

I'm sure there is an easier way to describe this process. Basically, it's brainstorm goals, break down those goals into bite size chunks, work on them in small but consistent ways. Today I run anywhere from 30-120 minutes a day. That started as 10 minutes a day. I've got 10 minutes. I can do anything for 10 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe if everyone who could do laundry in my house did a load of laundry every day we'd get it all done...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza's Goals

Level 0: Create list of goals Complete!

Work:

Work is really fluid right now. A detailed accounting is beyond the scope of this list, but I'm doing about as well as I can be given the circumstances. This item might return in the future once things have settled down some. Time on BGG isn't an issue at this time.

Exercise:

Level 1: Two 30-minute sessions per week

I had this down a few months ago, but it slipped away for kind of an embarrssing reason: My water bottle went missing, so I had to try to find it, then I gave up and had to go on Amazon to get a new one, then wait for it to arrive... Whatever.

"Session" in this context right now is just time on the elliptical. I'd like to throw in some strength training at some point, but I have no idea how to do that, or even how to use any of the equipment. My upper-body strength is really feeble. (2-3 pushups is the upper limit, and even that will make me really sore for a week.)

At some point, fighter practice will replace one of these sessions.

Sleep:

Level 1: On weeknights, be in bed NLT midnight, ideally 11:45. Take melatonin.

My sleep has been generally good, but it's hard to really know because tracking apps and the like don't work well, due to Null's almost nightly habit of sleeping next to me. (Often literally on the same pillow!) Pixel spends a lot of time on the bed too, and Challys is usually there as well.

I don't have to get up until 7:15, so 11:45 will work. (With midnight being my "Stop what you're doing, and go to bed" deadline) Weekends are a non-issue, as I can and do usually sleep in. The next few weeks I'll be somewhere other than home on the weekends, so that might change temporarily. Saturday nights are the only time I might stay up late usually; I'm too tired on Fridays, and typically go to bed at the normal time or even earlier.

Board gaming:

Resume solo PL campaign.
Resume solo KDM campaign.
Play Conflict of Heroes again.
Play more Mahjong.
Umpire at least one game of Nightfighter for Dad. (Start a campaign?)
Try to actually do a F2F version of Nethack for BGG.con

I have a lot of board gaming goals. Pennsic (and its preparations) put most of this on ice for a while, but I'd like to get back in. Pandemic Legacy and Kingdom Death Monster I've been playing on TTS. (Incidentally, if anyone wants to join a KDM campaign, send me a GM! No particular knowledge or experience is necessary.) I haven't played CoH in months, and want to try Mission 3 of the German solo campaign, and a few generated firefights as well.

Dad and I haven't played Nightfighter in literally years, and we're going to try to get it to the table again this weekend. I'll need to review the rules. Challys and Jason seem to really like Riichi Mahjong, but we haven't played in a while. I also haven't played on Tenhou since achieving 2nd Dan.

And as for Nethack, well, we'll see.

Bridge:

Level 1: Scratch in Thursday night's game.
Review balancing auctions with Jane. (Specifically, what calls mean in 4th seat when it's 1X-Pass-Pass to you.)
Board meeting next Wednesday (tally trophy races? Emails?)

Bridge is it's own thing. The nationals last month didn't go well, but we did win 0.3 points last time we played, with our 52% game. I've been reading a book on balancing, and I'm ready to discuss the most elementary of those sequences with Jane. (FYI, "balancing" means bidding when a Pass would end the auction.) Balancing over 1NT-P-P we already do well, with the Cappelletti convention to show two-suiters; next is balancing over one of a suit.

Board business has been mostly uneventful now that the DC nationals are over.

Video games:

Level 1: Record another episode of Urza Prepares to Die this week.
Edit together the next ten of Dake's kills.
Practice for next week's TGCT event.
Play some Rimworld.
Get back into Tenhou?

I take video gaming seriously. Pennsic has already disrupted my streaming schedule, so I want to get that back on track. I'm also putting together a highlight reel from XCOM, featuring all of Dake's kills. It's looking like a long video.

The Golf Club Tours is a competitive community for The Golf Club. I've already done Q School and placed into the D flight. (That's still better than E flight!) In the two events I've played so far, I bombed one (getting a demotion "strike") and did very well until the fourth round, in which I totally blew it. /facepalm I was hoping for an exemption, but didn't even finish above the "clear strikes" line. At least I didn't get another strike, so progress! I want to play a few practice rounds on the course before playing for keeps. I'm hoping to actually clear the "clear strikes" line (Top 22.5%) this time.

I started playing Rimworld a few days ago. It's really good so far! Like a more approachable Dwarf Fortress, in a sci-fi setting. Maybe I'll start a YouTube series of it someday.

As noted above, I haven't played on Tenhou since getting to 2 Dan. It's a long hill to 3rd Dan, and it's intimidating me, but it shouldn't. 2nd Dan was my goal all along, so now I should be able to play more freely, right? Just don't get demoted back to 1st Dan.

SCA/fighting:

Placeholder for now. Not sure what my goals are here right now, as Pennsic just ended. Also depends on what Challys and/or Jason want to do.

Relationships:

Level 1: Go on a date with the other couple. Chat with them more.

This is a complex topic due to my very much non-traditional relationship structure. For now, I'll just leave that there; more discussion in the dating/S threads.

Wedding planning:

Level 1: Finalize venue.

Ugh. This stuff makes my head hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
You can do it, LJ!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lock Clear
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I admire you peeps. Good luck with your goals. I could never do this - it's fun to see the different personality types. Different types of introverts, etc, especially.

I am getting some tips from your posts here so I appreciate that. Thanks for the app tip, Goo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.