Subject: Dice Rolling Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jiv
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
One aspect of the game that feels a bit boring to me is the lack of a hunting mini game.

So I've been mulling over a bit of push your luck dice rolling to substitute for the computer game's mini-game.

Something we tried was:

When you draw the Hunting calamity card you begin a round of "Hunting."
The player that drew the Hunting card can discard a bullet card and roll a die. If they roll any number but 6, they succeed and will get a supply card if the Hunting round succeeds.

The following player can choose to roll the die or pass. If they roll, they must roll a higher number than the roll of the previous player to succeed. If they succeed, the next player can choose to roll or pass. If the roll fails (they roll the same number as the previous roll or lower) then the Hunting round has failed and no one collects supplies.

If they pass, the Hunting round ends and each player who successfully rolled gets to collect a supply card. If a player passes on the Hunting round, they instead take a normal turn of play and any players after them do not get a chance to participate in the Hunting round.

Hopefully that made sense - it actually moves pretty quickly, and adds a bit of risk/reward to the games Hunting card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CP Face
msg tools
Novel idea. I feel the same way -- the game could use some sort of hunting mechanic. Basically just trading your bullets for a food card makes bullets seem worthless -- if you're in a town or fort, you might as well just choose a food, and if you got bullets by random deal, you need to hope you get the Go Hunting calamity for them to be worth anything.

I like the idea of giving players a chance to get something else for their bullets and the risk/reward of allowing them to shoot for more than one supply card. I still feel like there's something missing though. Have you tested this variant at all? With different party sizes? My worry is that the player with the bullets wouldn't draw Go Hunting often enough to make a difference. Maybe if Go Hunting stayed in effect for one round, and any player with bullets could respond to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiv
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah definitely wanted to make bullets feel vital. I like the idea of making the Hunting round stay in effect for a round.

I only had a chance to play with this variant once so far, and we got lucky and were able to get two people out of four to grab supplies.

Honestly, it just felt nice to inject a decision into the game, which doesn't offer a lot of choices out the gate.

I do like the way you can choose to cure a disease or risk instant-death in a future turn.

We also discussed making the snake bite calamities solvable with a combo of bullets and medicine. That combined with a Hunting Round and the variant discussed in other threads of playing a fort/town every ten trail cards helps shift focus from random luck to seriously managing your hands and discussing equipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CP Face
msg tools
thejiv wrote:
That combined with a Hunting Round and the variant discussed in other threads of playing a fort/town every ten trail cards helps shift focus from random luck to seriously managing your hands and discussing equipment.

I think the problem is that the concept isn't well-served as a pure card game. A gameboard that outlines a static trail to cross, tokens for resource management, and cards for the random elements like calamities... I've never encountered the Oregon Trail board game, but this is making me interested to learn more about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.