BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG@SEA

Subject: Hepatitis ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathalie Beaudoin
msg tools
mb
Hi guys,

Do you think its needed to get some protection from hepetatis ?
I am not sure if its needed or not or if we even have time to get something that would work...

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Martinovich
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hulk can see ghosts, breathe underwater, and survive a nuclear bomb.
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCSE5I0Wp7c
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm. Tin foil hats and sacrificing goats should suffice. Otherwise... As a paramedic and intensive care nurse I would suggest good hand washing and condoms... Not much to worry about honestly. Cruise ships are fairly clean and safe. Not sure what kind of profilatics you were considering but seriously choose your sexual partners wisely, wash your hands, and don't put other people's blood on your mucous membranes and you should be safe buddy. you'll probably catch a cold but that's the life of being around people.

Edit: sorry. A little enebriated. I can be a hypochondriac myself at times. Really though. Not much protection against hepatitis apart from vaccines and washing your hand before those amazing buffets. Don't worry too much buddy. have fun. Life's too short
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hepatitis A is food/water borne and 1 of 2 subtypes for which there is a vaccine. B and C are bloodborne/STIs. Hep B has a vaccine but I'm guessing you will be at low risk

Hep A vaccine is highly effective and is recommended for all children in the US and certain at risk populations. It is also currently theorized to offer protection for > 25 years.

As a physician, I would recommend it not because you are going on a cruise, but because getting Hep A sucks and why not be protected against it for potentially the rest of your life.

Full disclosure: I've had the vaccine myself.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5507a1.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine McCulloch
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Speak with your Local Travel Clinic or GP
It depends on actives off the ship.
It depends on present health.
It depends on age.

Last Year I went to my local travel clinic. I did get shots. (Last year Cruise) However, I am bit over protective.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list

Eat and drink safely

Unclean food and water can cause travelers' diarrhea and other diseases. Reduce your risk by sticking to safe food and water habits.

Eat

Food that is cooked and served hot
Hard-cooked eggs
Fruits and vegetables you have washed in clean water or peeled yourself
Pasteurized dairy products

Don't Eat

Food served at room temperature
Food from street vendors
Raw or soft-cooked (runny) eggs
Raw or undercooked (rare) meat or fish
Unwashed or unpeeled raw fruits and vegetables
Unpasteurized dairy products
”Bushmeat” (monkeys, bats, or other wild game)

Drink

Bottled water that is sealed
Water that has been disinfected
Ice made with bottled or disinfected water
Carbonated drinks
Hot coffee or tea
Pasteurized milk

Don’t Drink

Tap or well water
Ice made with tap or well water
Drinks made with tap or well water (such as reconstituted juice)
Unpasteurized milk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been immunized from both Hepatitis A and B. It was a three shot series that was scheduled over a 6 month period. In case it wasn't mentioned you will not have full immunity until you finish the entire series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hep a is a 2 shot series. There is a commercial product that combines it with hep b which is a 3 shot series but that is because hep b requires 3 shots.

Also, there is literature that a single hep a shot confers sufficient immunity. If there is not sufficient time to finish the series, I would still get the first shot as that should protect you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Martinovich
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess I just feel this is kinda a random thing to ask about. Why not parasites? Tetanus? Other STI/STD's? Measles? Flu? Parvovirus? TB?... Why specifically hepatitis??? Guess that's why I was a little snarky before... There are a billion things in the world to be worried about and the chances of getting hepatitis on a cruise ship are pretty darn slim... I'd be more worried about a ton more diseases before hepatitis... Or am I way off for some reason? Is it an irrational fear or am I missing something because everyone seems super serious about hepatitis prevention

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinxstar wrote:
Guess I just feel this is kinda a random thing to ask about. Why not parasites? Tetanus? Other STI/STD's? Measles? Flu? Parvovirus? TB?... Why specifically hepatitis??? Guess that's why I was a little snarky before... There are a billion things in the world to be worried about and the chances of getting hepatitis on a cruise ship are pretty darn slim... I'd be more worried about a ton more diseases before hepatitis... Or am I way off for some reason? Is it an irrational fear or am I missing something because everyone seems super serious about hepatitis prevention

I work in a field that strongly recommends immunizations. Plus I personally believe if you can become immune from something that can harm you, why wouldn't you? Just my personal opinion though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2015 I looked at the countries we were visiting and the CDC recommended vaccines -- For Jamaica it is/was Hep A and Typhoid:
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/cruise_shi...

Even though it is recommended to get two doses of Hep A, I waited too long so just got one. Figured it was better than nothing.

Not a doctor, and rarely play them in games

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Martinovich
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pone4games wrote:
Jinxstar wrote:

I work in a field that strongly recommends immunizations. Plus I personally believe if you can become immune from something that can harm you, why wouldn't you? Just my personal opinion though.

I am incredibly pro vaccine as well. Still though. A non airborne, non vector borne disease would be the least of my worries when traveling to the tropics... Nora or something possibly if there was a rumored outbreak but we come into contact with people who have hepatitis everyday. We use the same forks in restaurants, sit in the same seats in movie theatres, and travel using the same methods... Hepatitis is not that concerning to me. Get vaccinated. Eat cooked food. Practice safe sex... Stay away from blood you are unfamiliar with...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pone4games wrote:

if you can become immune from something that can harm you, why wouldn't you? Just my personal opinion though.

Because every vaccination has a very little risk of complications, and so you want to limit them to infections you could get in contact with and which are sufficiently harmful. Hep A is a significant enough issue in many, but not all regions of the world. I got my shot before I traveled to an area where it is a risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on your line of work/destination/planned activities or just plain bad luck
wrote:
Stay away from blood you are unfamiliar with...
is not always practical or possible.

Situations have a way of cropping up and if you can, and there is a possibility of infection, why not become immune as part of the pre-travel process (along with many of the other nasties listed above)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.