Hide
6 Posts

Smash Up: Cease and Desist» Forums » General

Subject: Weird New Worlds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Radical Rhino
msg tools
"Play the top base from the base deck. Play this card and an extra minion on it. Ongoing: When the next base scores, do not replace it; destroy this card."

So, if this action is removed/destroyed before the next base scores, then you permanently have an extra base in play for the remainder of the game. Right? If you're able to repeatedly play this card from your hand, then you can continually increase the number of bases in play. Am I missing something? Because this seems like an oversight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
Radical Rhino wrote:
"Play the top base from the base deck. Play this card and an extra minion on it. Ongoing: When the next base scores, do not replace it; destroy this card."

So, if this action is removed/destroyed before the next base scores, then you permanently have an extra base in play for the remainder of the game. Right? If you're able to repeatedly play this card from your hand, then you can continually increase the number of bases in play. Am I missing something? Because this seems like an oversight.

The idea is that it's a kind of temporary new base, next time a base scores you don't replace it instead you discard strange new worlds leaving the total number of bases the same as it used to be and then continuing as normal next time a base scores.

However if you get rid of 'strange new worlds' before a base scores then it's a permanent new base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radical Rhino
msg tools
I see now that the manual clarifies that you can get a permanent new base. It still might be game breaking to put out multiple permanent extra bases, although I can't immediately think of what cards would allow actions on bases to be returned to hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Moser

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
Time Travelers into the time slip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mb
Radical Rhino wrote:
So, if this action is removed/destroyed before the next base scores, then you permanently have an extra base in play for the remainder of the game. Right? If you're able to repeatedly play this card from your hand, then you can continually increase the number of bases in play.

Good catch! I guess there are some factions, such as Aliens, that prefer to slow the game down or others, like Tornadoes, that like to spread things out. Adding additional bases could help these factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radical Rhino wrote:

It's not an oversight. We encountered this during play testing. We always try to "break the game" in the last phase of play testing. This was one of the cards we tried to "break".

The result was that
1) it's not an easy feature to play that action over an over. You need the right factions in play. It was not possible to play it multiple times in one turn.
2) there was no real benefit for the star roamers player to do this and waste valuable action plays on it. So there is no real incentive to do it, except maybe annoy everyone because they have to clear more table space to keep playing. Only against dragons and tricksters can it be useful.

In conclusion: the "problem" was only a theoretical problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.