$5.00
$30.00
$15.00
$20.00
Samuel Poulin-Cailloux
msg tools
Hi, I'm doing a lot of research on Command and colors Ancients since this game interests me, but I'm from Canada and with the USD to CAD exchange rate, we're getting gouged here. So I'm looking to cut corners here a bit! If I post this here, it's because I did not find the answer anywhere else, so bear with me please, and sorry if it was answered elsewhere.

Anyway, I read a lot and was wondering if the scenarios from expansion 1 were playable with only the base set. What would make that impossible? Are there new units that you couldn't use another to take it's place?

I'm also looking at getting Base game + an expansion.
Many people seem to say that I absolutely need #1, but with #2 and #3 bundled, it seems I would get more scenarios out of the bundle.

How many scenarios would I be unable to play in #2-#3 if I don't own #1?

Anyway, many thanks to whoever will take the time to answer that! I look forward to jumping in the CnC Ancients universe!

Edit : I don't want to rip GMT off by proxying the whole game, I just wonder what's the best value for me and if I get #2-#3, will I get locked out of scenarios because I don't have #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
For Exp 2-3, ifyou are willing to proxy blocks/armies for certain scenarios, I think most-all of it should be playable without Exp. 1, but I'm far from an expert on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Poulin-Cailloux
msg tools
That's what I was asking myself : is it possible to proxy blocks? I see a lot of cool battle scenarios on the CnC website, but I worry that I could not play them with only the base game.

Anybody tried that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
This might help:

You can play with any proxy you want. People do it with miniatures, etc. Personally, I love the blocks. I don't have the space or time for a bunch of miniatures. They are more tactile than chits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KaYoUx wrote:
That's what I was asking myself : is it possible to proxy blocks? I see a lot of cool battle scenarios on the CnC website, but I worry that I could not play them with only the base game.

Anybody tried that?

Yeah, so the thing is that each army actually is composed of different units (Barbarians, for example, have light chariots and focus their forces on L and M infantry, auxilia, and warriors (NO H!), while the corresponding Roman army (the red one) has fewer Warriors, and more M and H infantry (which differs from the Gray Roman Army (more H, some H chariots, etc.). The Carthaginian army is very evenly distributed, but the Greeks and E Kingdoms focus on M and H infantry (simulating the phalanx).

So yes you can proxy blocks/armies, but it might prove difficult given the varied composition of the armies. This file shows the varied composition in summary:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/112620/cca-unit-chart...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Poulin-Cailloux
msg tools
Thanks, this is pretty much what I was wondering. So, it would be possible, but with much fiddling. I think I'll go for expansion #1 and hope I can get expansion #2-#3 some other time without being gouged. Anybody from Canada ever ordered from GMT? Is the shipping long?
Do you think there are a lot of scenarios online for the Base set + Expansion #1 combined?

Sorry for all the questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CyberGarp wrote:
This might help:

Can you explain this chart at all? Maybe it is because I just woke up but my brain isn't processing it well. I too was just looking at Exp 2&3 but is this saying that a number of scenarios in that will be unplayable without Exp 1?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Samuel, fwiw... I've owned C&C Ancients for years and haven't expanded it yet! There is a ton of replayability in the base game scenarios. The Zama scenario alone is good for many replays. Don't let expansion concerns stop you from owning this fantastic game. You could always investigate vassal as well.

When my interests in ancients warfare shifted back a few centuries to the Greeks and their various conflicts, i picked up a copy of GMT's Hoplite. GBoH is another great series from GMT... well worth looking into.

Keep those elephants well fed, they can get cranky laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
It wouldn't be too hard to just use the base game to play almost every mission created. My recommendation would be to use one block that describes the unit and then 2-4 smaller cubes (or something similar) to show the strength of the unit. This little trick would get you over the different army conpositions described by other users. 2 units of light cav would be able to cover for 6 units using this scheme, while 4 units of warriors would cover for 16. There might be a few scenarios you would struggle with, but the vast majority would be playable with no substitution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Poulin-Cailloux
msg tools
substandardtim wrote:
CyberGarp wrote:
This might help:

Can you explain this chart at all? Maybe it is because I just woke up but my brain isn't processing it well. I too was just looking at Exp 2&3 but is this saying that a number of scenarios in that will be unplayable without Exp 1?

Thanks

I checked all scenarios in the expansions last night. With only base and 2-3, you will miss only 5 scenarios in the combined expansions. 4 of that are epic, and one needs the tan block from the 1st expansion. I'd say getting 2-3 is quite a deal for suck a great number of scenarios!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KaYoUx wrote:

I checked all scenarios in the expansions last night. With only base and 2-3, you will miss only 5 scenarios in the combined expansions. 4 of that are epic, and one needs the tan block from the 1st expansion. I'd say getting 2-3 is quite a deal for suck a great number of scenarios!

Thanks for the research, especially since Exp. 1 seems to be out of print!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KaYoUx wrote:

Yeah. 2-3 is a bonkers deal (I wish their were a handy combo for the other reprints, they'll be coming I'm reasonably sure, just take a while on the p500). 1+6 would be cool (but I already have 1 ), or 4+5 (but I think 5 would serve the most people if it were separate). All that 2+3 is missing is the second mounted map but they sell that a la carte so no problems there.

Pick it up and have fun, I wish I could play my set more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Poulin-Cailloux
msg tools
Here's what I got : exp #1 + base at a reasonnable canadian pricing(that is, under 200$) + #2-3 at 59$ cad too, taxes included.
All new!
Good deal, no? :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check out the Exp 1 files section for the Hellenica.pdf. They are an excellent stand in for the Spartan scenarios until you buy exp #6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Poulin-Cailloux
msg tools
Thanks, I'll do that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InNC
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Completeness In This Thread:

BLOCKS IS BLOCKS but...

There are subtle changes in the Unit Capability Table between expansions (or whatever CCA calls it). You need the chart and/or special rules to correctly play some of the scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Poulin-Cailloux
msg tools
Well, with base, #1, and #2-#3, I guess I'll be able to enjoy CnC ancient for a while!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.