Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodooink wrote:
You may be having the best season in your team's history, but sooner or later everyone has to dance with the...

REAPERS

Not only is Donnie Lock one of the league’s top three blitzers, but he is one of the best open field tacklers in the game as well. His blazing fast speed and ability to hit like a truck make him a one man wrecking crew! D-Lock changes the way that offenses have to play the game.

#44 Howie Short: blitz
#77 Donnie Lock: tackle +3

ALTERNATE LINE-UP
One of the best running backs to ever play the game, Bo Nose is actually the reason that the league skill cap was introduced. The skills below represent him at his almost unstoppable superstar status, and you can't even imagine what he was like in the season after that where he reached legendary status! While more famous for being the head coach of the REAPERS and later an announcer and commentator, John McFadden earned his football cred in the trenches as an offensive and defensive lineman.

#44 John McFadden: ?*
#77 Bo Nose: ???*

*stats revealed before/during Kickstarter based on Twitter followers @thebrentspivey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Christie
United States
WILLIAMSTON
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaper Nation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jcraider22 wrote:
Reaper Nation!

Silver and Black!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My fourth least favorite team (behind the Eagles, Cowboys, and the kings of evil, the Patriots.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Toenail21 wrote:
My fourth least favorite team (behind the Eagles, Cowboys, and the kings of evil, the Patriots.)

Sounds like your ENGINES are going to be busy!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, that tackle bonus on Lock. What a safety! Dude's gonna be running people down left and right.

For those who aren't sure why that warrants a superstar status: mechanically, I'm sure it's because it's three stacked +1 tackle bonuses. In practice, though, it means you've got a guy with 7 speed, who's got the range to cover the field and the ability to clear out of threatened spaces even on a half move, who tackles like a 4. You've ramped your base tackle chance against a generic 61 WR from 42% (8+ on 2d6) to 83% (5+ on 2d6).

I do expect, though, that you'll need to be deliberate with how he's deployed. I noted "safety" because I don't think "cornerback" is a good case fit in a lot of instances; he'll severely limit someone on his side of the field but even a 7 is going to be pressed to react to the far side when the play moves away from him. But a safety, poised to slide from midfield, should shut most ball carriers down as soon as they step into the open. That much tackle is also a lethal blitz option if he can move clear of a screening lineman. He's also an excellent candidate to deploy off the line of scrimmage so that he's motion-eligible as a late disruption against your opponent's plans (this is probably a good option for any superstar, really).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Man, that tackle bonus on Lock. What a safety! Dude's gonna be running people down left and right.

For those who aren't sure why that warrants a superstar status: mechanically, I'm sure it's because it's three stacked +1 tackle bonuses. In practice, though, it means you've got a guy with 7 speed, who's got the range to cover the field and the ability to clear out of threatened spaces even on a half move, who tackles like a 4. You've ramped your base tackle chance against a generic 61 WR from 42% (8+ on 2d6) to 83% (5+ on 2d6).

I do expect, though, that you'll need to be deliberate with how he's deployed. I noted "safety" because I don't think "cornerback" is a good case fit in a lot of instances; he'll severely limit someone on his side of the field but even a 7 is going to be pressed to react to the far side when the play moves away from him. But a safety, poised to slide from midfield, should shut most ball carriers down as soon as they step into the open. That much tackle is also a lethal blitz option if he can move clear of a screening lineman. He's also an excellent candidate to deploy off the line of scrimmage so that he's motion-eligible as a late disruption against your opponent's plans (this is probably a good option for any superstar, really).

Spot on analysis!

He's definitely designed to fill the 'safety' role [as opposed to cornerback]. To use more football terminology, it's almost like he's the perfect mix of a strong and free safety. I'll add that because he's such a threat to get into the backfield quickly and finish at such a high percentage, you can use that threat to 'show blitz' by lining up to one side of the formation [hopefully impacting the opposing coach's play call] only to motion back to the center of the field in coverage. Additionally, since you have to pay so much attention to where's he's at, it makes the blitzing ability of Short that much better.

It's a really nasty defense to play against!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, yeah didn't notice he was a seven. I guess I'll put my hatred of the Raiders aside so that I can run my favorite play in all of football, the Safety Blitz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Toenail21 wrote:
Ooh, yeah didn't notice he was a seven. I guess I'll put my hatred of the Raiders aside so that I can run my favorite play in all of football, the Safety Blitz.

If you love the safety blitz, this is your team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really loving how the mechanics of the game is creating the game.

OK, that may not have been as eloquent as I would have liked. Here, we see a mechanic that encourages realistic play. There's no rule saying you need a safety. There are just mechanics. But they create or encourage that play.

To me, that is always the sign of a strong design. Don't make a rule making me line up a player in the safety slot. Make the mechanics that encourage that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TnT! wrote:

OK, that may not have been as eloquent as I would have liked. Here, we see a mechanic that encourages realistic play. There's no rule saying you need a safety. There are just mechanics. But they create or encourage that play.

To me, that is always the sign of a strong design. Don't make a rule making me line up a player in the safety slot. Make the mechanics that encourage that.

If all that ends up being true, this game is going on my top 10 list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TnT! wrote:
There's no rule saying you need a safety. There are just mechanics. But they create or encourage that play.
Yes, definitely a high point of the design. I went into my game with Bruce having no experience with the formation system and just ran 7-on-7 versions of real formations, and they were generally effective in ways similar to the thing on the field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TnT! wrote:

lomn wrote:
Yes, definitely a high point of the design. I went into my game with Bruce having no experience with the formation system and just ran 7-on-7 versions of real formations, and they were generally effective in ways similar to the thing on the field.

Thanks guys! You're observations are much appreciated.

I've tried to keep that same philosophy throughout the entire design. The offensive/defensive adjustment is another example of a single mechanic that can be used to do so many things. It's a very simple rule, but the things it allows you to simulate and the possibilities it opens up are almost endless.

It was really cool to see people come up in the middle of a game at Gen Con [without seeing the pre-game teaching session] and immediately start referring to the players by positional names, commenting on how the play was developing, talking about formations, and even going so far as to give advice or give warnings about possible threats like blitzers, running lanes, or passers about to break into the open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.