Hide
3 Posts

Victory in Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some more questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juerg haeberli
msg tools
After playing the first game further than 1941 I as the Axis conceded at the end of fall 44.
I just had repelled the first attack on Berlin with 3 steps left there ( The Soviets were exausted to but had reserves ) and it was pretty clear Berlin would fall in Spring 45 or Summer 45 at the latest.
The Axis got saved in Fall 44 by regaining the initiative. ( 2 4 CP cards )

This game seems to show that there is hope for the Axis.
Still barring extremely good luck or suboptimal play it seems questionable if the Axis has an even chance to win a minor victory in the campaign game with the convetional Barbarossa 41 plan.

Quite a lot of questions popped up during our 3rd 6 hour session with the campaign game.

Questions:

1) Conquering minor neutrals, allied minor neutrals amd comquered minor neutrals.

a)
If you conquer the capital of a minor neutral its troops will go away beginning of the next diplo phase and you gain control of all areas that are not occupied by enemy troops.

b)
If you conquer the capital of a minor neutral which is allied to another great power we assumed the same.

c)
If you conquer the capital of a minor neutral which was conquered by another great power we assumed that areas not occupied by your ground troops stay under the control of the other great power.

2)
Can a leader take control of an area ?

3)
If I play a card which gives a +1 for border crossing is it possible to invade with 2 units ?

4)
Do ships end their movement in areas or ports.
If ports a detailed explanation how movement and ending movement around Sicily works would be nice.

5)
If you get a card bonus for one battle, when exactely do you have to indicate its use ?

6)
If I have 2 units with double defense, can I take one hit each before loosing a step with the 3rd hit ?

7)
Is it possible to immediately retreat from a blitz explot battle without step loss ?

Many thanks in advance and with best regards.

Jürg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bluth
msg tools
Good questions - my responses are in no way official, but here is my 2 cents:

1a) This is correct per rule 10.2

1b) This is correct - rule 10.2 also applies.

1c) If the minor neutral was already conquered, then you can't conquer it again. If Russia conquers Romania, for instance and there are no German troops in it, then Transylvania, Bucharest, and Bessarabia are now Russian controlled territory. The Axis does not gain control of Bessarabia and Transylvania if they take Bucharest again.

2) Yes, Leaders are Army units (rule 2.6) and therefore can control areas.

3) I would say no, since Invasions are specific types of battles and sea zones are not "borders"

4) They end their movement in ports. (rule 7.22) For Sicily, if you enter Sicily from the Ionian Sea, you land in Syracuse, and may only exit into the Ionian Sea. If you enter from they Tyrrhenian Sea, you land in Palermo and may only exit into the Tyrrhenian Sea. If you enter from either the Sicilian Strait or the Gulf of Sirte, you may land in Gela, and when you exit, you may exit into either the Sicilian Strait or the Gulf of Sirte, regardless of which one you entered from.

5)Rule 3.3 "Battle Choice for card event must be determined (Player 1 first) after movement but before any combat is resolved.

6)Rule 5.5 "The second half-hit must be taken on a unit with a half hit" - so no, once you have allocated a hit to a unit, the second hit must be on that same unit.

7) No - Rule 5.61 states that a Blitz Exploit initiates a new battle. Rule 5.7 says that if you retreat on the first battle turn, you take a step loss. Since there is no exception for Blitz Exploit battles, the step loss applies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools

Thank you very much well founded and clear answers.

Most things we did right.

Best regards

Jürg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.