jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
This thread is two recommend ONLY ONE game that can be played with a non gamer gf/wife. It can be two player only or not. The important thing is that it hasto be fun to play with a non gamer girlfriend. It only has to be ONE game(plus expansions if you guys feel it's important).

Note: I added the date to the topic so if anyone has the same question, they can realize that these recommendation are up to this date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can you guys recommend ONLY ONE game that can be played with a non gamer girlfriend/wife?
Battle Line.

...still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GANDON François
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can you guys recommend ONLY ONE game that can be played with a non gamer girlfriend/wife?
Sex?
Usually works fine with 2 but can accomodate more players easily if in the right mood. Rules are pretty straightforward but some actions require careful planning. Nice mix of cooperative and competitive (somewhat more competitive than it appears). Playing time between 10 to 240 minutes.
Used to play a lot but it has gotten old lately.
Warmly recommended though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GANDON wrote:
Sex?
Usually works fine with 2 but can accomodate more players easily if in the right mood. Rules are pretty straightforward but some actions require careful planning. Nice mix of cooperative and competitive (somewhat more competitive than it appears). Playing time between 10 to 240 minutes.

Is "Sex?" the sequel or expansion to "Sex"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris keeley
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to have the issue. I only have a wife.

Hungry Hippos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

GANDON wrote:
Sex?

I guess you haven't played the expansion yet. Kinky!
Set-up time is usually a little longer, but definitely adds a new twist.
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

jcgonzmo wrote:
This thread is two recommend ...

Did anyone catch the secret code here?
He actually wants two recommendations, but probably promised his girl to ask for just one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Splendor.

Why? Relatively short. Relatively easy to explain. Everyone likes jewels.

But this is the most important thing - wife/GF must win at least every third game. The meta-game is to play so that she wins without knowing you threw the game. You must never reveal the meta-game. OK, maybe after you've been married for 20 years.

Trust me when I say don't let her lose three times in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmb
GANDON wrote:
competitive than it appears). Playing time between 10 to 240 minutes.

Seek immediate medical attention for gameplay lasting more than 240 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities

Fun game, easy to learn and plays more like a card game. My mom is not a gamer and it is the only game I have that she asks to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always recommend Ticket to Ride: Europe.

Ease of rules, great gameplay, scales well from 2-5 players. Europe map and rules are less cut throat than the USA map. If you've traveled Europe it is a great reminder of your travels. Easy to find at almost any store.

It is also the game we played for years before diving into the obsession that it led to.

-m
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoundCity wrote:
Jaipur

+1 Jaipur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thomas
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few ideas.

Fjords
Onitama
Hive
Tides of Time

Sorry, I know that you were asking for just one, but Had too many ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
stevelabny wrote:
Seek immediate medical attention for gameplay lasting more than 240 minutes.

Seems kinda short to me.

Battle Line's the best game that's accessible to non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fletcher
msg tools

<Ignores instruction to recommend just >

Patchwork would be our number one choice, shortly followed by Jaipur.

Splendor bores us witless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases and Pandemic.

Both are cooperative and have interesting themes. Competitve play with people who don't really want to play in the first place is rarely a success!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Machi Koro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Splendor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
...and then, we held hands. is a about relationship, can actually make you think about yours, so it goes very well as a time spent with significant other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst-Jan Viergever
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd recommend Mission Red Planet. Simple rules, fun and not too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Slugocki
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Takenoko because of the uber-cute Panda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you ask for recommendations and then limit those people to recommending only one game? Makes no sense. You're literally hobbling your own question. Let 'em recommend more than one (they probably will anyway) - then you do some research on your end and find out what you think might work. By design, you're going to get more than one recommendation if more than one person responds.

I have been plagued by the non-gamer wife. I have tried about 100 games I thought she might like, or were recommended, here is the list of what she actually likes and enjoys. It's more than one because - well, she likes more than one.

Diamonds
Wizard (card Game)
Stone Age (a big surprise, but she loves it even as 2-player)
Arboretum
Tatsu
Biblios
Medici (one of her new faves)
Love Letter
Yardmaster
Ticket To Ride
Splendor
Tides of Time
Port Royal
Patchwork...her all time fave. We even have a game going on our phones at all times. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.