Subject: Pronunciation of the word 'scythe' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: if_only_I_had_a_dictionary [+] [View All]
Shaddam IV
Puerto Rico
Kaitain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A maxim we recently read during our journey to Earth while the Spacing Guild folded space for us is that one should "Never make fun of someone if he mispronounces a word. It means he learned it by reading."

Indeed. We commend each of you who has read the word scythe but who has never pronounced it heretofore until the release of this illustrious game Scythe for your literacy.

Nevertheless, for the betterment of the known universe it is our imperial prerogative to inform you that the correct pronunciation of the word scythe is (in the Intergalactic Phonetic Alphabet):

saɪð

The first phoneme is an unvoiced sibilant alveolar fricative--'s' (as in Sardaukar), not *sk (as in *sky). The 'c' in the written word is silent.

The second phoneme is a very long open front to near-close near-front vowel diphthong--'i' (as in eye).

The final phoneme is a voiced dental non-sibilant fricative--as in the, that, father, brother, another, lathe, bathe, breathe, or teethe. It is not unvoiced as in *thorn, *month, *bath, *breath, or *teeth. In fact, you will notice that the silent 'e' at the end of the word serves the same reminder function to voice the consonant as you would in bathe or breathe or teethe instead of *bath or *breath or *teeth.

--Shaddam IV

p.s. We love the combat wheels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://howjsay.com/pronunciation-of-scythe

http://forvo.com/word/scythe/

(below in case the above rezestses )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq2LNlfKSBk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
Norway
flag msg tools
mb
My friends and I know the actual pronunciation, but we affectionally call it "shite" as if Irish (sh-eye-t). We love the game though, but shite flows much better for a norwegian tongue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've affectionately come to calling it "Skithy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emperorknownuniverse wrote:

Actually combat wheels are the only thing I consider a fail in terms of component design. They are loose and way too big (thus looseness is even worse).

They could have taken a chapter from X-Wing or similar dials

AS for the pronunciation, I don't personally care. But anyone going as far and pronouncing it 'sye' could take a sip of pretentious drink and jump off a cliff.

Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
But anyone going as far and pronouncing it 'sye' could take a sip of pretentious drink and jump off a cliff.

Sorry!

{...sigh...}

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A maxim we recently read during our journey to Earth while the Spacing Guild folded space for us is that one should "Never make fun of someone if he mispronounces a word. It means he learned it by reading.

Or grew up somewhere where it was pronounced differently, possible correctly and you have learnt it wrong, or there are just different pronunciations

I pronounce Scythe the way I learnt when I want to use a scythe (which is different from a sickle or swap hook as any good worker will tell you)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:

Actually combat wheels are the only thing I consider a fail in terms of component design. They are loose and way too big (thus looseness is even worse).

They could have taken a chapter from X-Wing or similar dials

AS for the pronunciation, I don't personally care. But anyone going as far and pronouncing it 'sye' could take a sip of pretentious drink and jump off a cliff.

Sorry!

The combat wheels are only loose if you don't stick card(s) under the wheel. Too lose? You're not using enough cards!

Why would anyone pronounce it sye? Is that a thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that the post is to teach people how to pronounce a relatively common word like "scythe", but he proceeds to use language and words that would go WAY over the heads of anyone who doesn't already know how to pronounce it (and probably over the heads of many who do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Campbell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Growing old is mandatory but growing UP is optional!
badge
Tabletop Game News, Reviews, Sales, Design and Publishing. Visit us at www.iwillnevergrowup.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
jonocop wrote:
We've affectionately come to calling it "Skithy".

Hilariously that's what one of my daughters (who's 26) calls it just to bug the everloving carp out of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You lost me at, "...during our journey to Earth while the Spacing Guild folded space for us..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

You lost me at, "...during our journey to Earth while the Spacing Guild folded space for us..."

What, you're not a fan? What a great book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You targeted my ignorance here... a fan of what?

Edit: Time out while I check Google...

Oh, you mean, Dune? (Thanks, Google)!

No, never have read Dune.

Now I get it, though. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hewlett
msg tools
Montag451 wrote:
I love that the post is to teach people how to pronounce a relatively common word like "scythe", but he proceeds to use language and words that would go WAY over the heads of anyone who doesn't already know how to pronounce it (and probably over the heads of many who do).

Apart from this game, I cannot remember the last time I saw a scythe, used a scythe or spoke the word in conversation. Is it common for you? Be ye death?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

You targeted my ignorance here... a fan of what?

Edit: Time out while I check Google...

Oh, you mean, Dune? (Thanks, Google)!

No, never have read Dune.

Now I get it, though. Thanks!

Well if you do read it, you might consider stopping after book 1! That'll certainly be enough to understand the OP's name and user ID, and the original post terminology (the fiction part, anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albino_penguin wrote:
Montag451 wrote:

Apart from this game, I cannot remember the last time I saw a scythe, used a scythe or spoke the word in conversation. Is it common for you? Be ye death?

Surely there's one somewhere in Agricola? Also, My Village is excellent (I'm pretty sure the Death token has a scythe, although it's not actually mentioned in the game)! Maybe Village has something similar as well? And don't forget Twilight Struggle, or any game with the USSR flag, although that's more sickle than scythe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albino_penguin wrote:
Montag451 wrote:

The scythe has been a common weapon in many video games, and due to its association with death, is used elsewhere in fantasy and sci-fi of any medium. It's not everywhere, but it's not rare. However, people hearing how a word is said, and then remembering it or being able to repeat it correctly doesn't always happen. Some people are just really bad with words, even common ones. It's like "meelee" vs "maylay" for the word melee. It's very common in gaming, but some people got it wrong when they first saw it, and can't break the habit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You say either
Montag451 wrote:
It's like "meelee" vs "maylay" for the word melee. It's very common in gaming, but some people got it wrong when they first saw it, and can't break the habit.
Or even as it should sound: meh-lay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albino_penguin wrote:
Montag451 wrote:

Since the game came out, I've seen a few videos on Youtube where some serious work can be done with a scythe. There's one video where a scythe beat a powered brush mower in a contest.

So I guess it has its advantages when the situation calls for it. (Clearing brush and tall grass, that is)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ich bin dran!
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
albino_penguin wrote:
Montag451 wrote:

I used a scythe quite often, growing up. We called it a 'sigh', but my parents spoke an old New England dialect and also used words like 'chimbley'. I learned later that the common english pronounciation was that in the first post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

The correct pronounciation is heard at the end of this scene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
Montag451 wrote:
It's like "meelee" vs "maylay" for the word melee. It's very common in gaming, but some people got it wrong when they first saw it, and can't break the habit.

Depends on your source. Some places use "meh-lay", others do list it as "mey-lay", but generally, both sound very similar and are pretty indistinguishable unless you're specifically listening for it. Point being, even when corrected, "meelee" people still tend to say it that way out of habit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
Montag451 wrote:

As a French-speaker, I will tell you that it is properly spelled mélée, and thus pronounced mey-LEY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just call the game "slingblade".
P.S. There is a pronounciation guide IN THE RULEBOOK itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I call it Kaiser blade. Mmm-hmm :]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.